Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JUst wanted to remind everyone here, about how I got slammed, when I dared to say Romania would not do anything in EURO 2000. I said the QF's are the absolute peek of their capabilities and it turned out I was true (not that I didn't want them to win against the dumb Azzuris:mad: ). Unfortunately Ilie is absolutley disgraceful at the moment, which really is saddening after that amazing performance in France 98:mad: Then we had Hagi, who really used up all the petrol in the UEFA Cup, and was more of a burden to the team than anything else:( But players like Chivu and Mutu are real prospects for the future. I was also dissapointed with Contra, as I expected mor from him:( All in all the team did peform well, and got out of this group. But forgive me for saying so, but had ROm been in any other group I think they would've founf it hard to advance. I was right here too - group A sucked big time! I mean the games were OK, but the level of play was low. Portugal was way above the rest, while Germany were way below the rest. That left only ROM and ENG to battle it out and ROM in the end were slightly better and luckier. But this group was far from the great 2 --> the absolute rocket = group C! Amazing stuff, just like I predicted this would be a hell group and was, excellent games thx to Yugoslavia and bring ones thx to Norway. Still the tightest group by far. Group D was also interesting, but only with the level of play, as there was no competition here:( I wonder what all those people who slammed me before EURO 2000 are gonna say now? I expect some apologies...:)

[Edited by labas on 28-06-2000 at 00:34]

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
im sorry for people that has to read all this crap you wrote! you have to apologize for attacking romania and others....ROMANIA SUCCEEDED! poland didnt make it!

why dont you try to use your wisdom on the polish national team so they can actually make a EUROPEAN competition.:)

HAI ROMANIA!

oh, and speaking of weak groups, dont forget the spain group!!! dont forget the italian group!!

the romanian group was the second hardest group after GROUP D.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's sad Argentina. I was expecting you to be more objective:) Romania did fullfil their potnatial fully in this tournament, but may I remind you many here argued they would win EURO 2000 and when i dared to differ...., well let's forget that shall we?:)

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Group C was the 3rd strongest group...whether you want to accept it or not is your opinion. Yugoslavia had pitiful defending, Spain were running around like headless chickens, Norway were more like SNORE-WAY and Slovenia were wonderful.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Eat it Labas

Labas, you were right about Romania reaching the Quarters. But You also said that Yugoslavia would win the tournment, and booohoooo how did they do? They lost 6 - 1 !!!! Now that's impressive. Compared to Romania who actually played football against Italy and with a few lucky breaks could have won it or tied it. At least we didn't embarrass ourselves by getting blown out in the quarters. And Group A was just as strong as Group C.

So who was right in the end, none of us were, so don't give me this I was right you were wrong crap, because at least my prediction of Romania going far was at least proved by Romania playing some good football.

D

·
0 Posts
Did he predict Yugslavia would win it?, hehehe, he must been surprised to see them lose 6-1 like that.

Group C had 1 very exciting match, the match of the tournament and 5 extremely boring matches.
Yugoslavia - Slovenia did feature 6 goals, but especially Yugoslavia's goal were among the ugliest there can be. That match also had the lowest attendance.
And Slovenia - Norway, Yugoslavia - Norway, Spain - Norway were just simply boring. It's sad to see teams like Italy and Norway play with a 10-men defence.

Group A IMO was simply weak. This German team was absultely nothing, and England made explosive starts, then awful defending against Portugal and then awful passing against Romania cost them those matches.
England had a few brilliant individuals, but they were no way potential winners of Euro 2000 compared to what the Netherlands, France, and Portugal had shown after the group stage.

Losing Mcmanaman and Adams only made things worse, Keown and Wise sucked 100%, and Jacker even more for Bierhoff for Germany, and why Hassler didn't play showed that Ribbeck is just a complete idiot.

·
International
9,682 Posts
Crap!

Ilie was disgraceful?
Contra didn't impressed?
Crap!!!

You should know that:
Ilie:
- before the tournament was transfer listed by Valencia for $ 12 mil. as they bought Carew from Rosenborg.
- after the tournament Valencia received a $ 15 mil. from Aston Villa which was rejected imediately. The cause: Pedro Cortes sais that the player status is now: An important first team player and if someone wants to buy him they should pay his release clause of $ 38 mil.
Contra:
- after his Euro performance it seems that Zaragoza have made a higher bid than Barcelona which made a $ 9 mil. bid and are in pole position. It seems that Zaragoza offered $ 12 mil.

HAI ROMANIA!!!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Labas, what do you intend to do now?
Actually you are the only one who thinks Romania has done nothing. They are at least among the 8 strongest European powers and considering what the others showed I rate them at least fifth - considering that they didn't go to the semifinals- otherwise I'd tell they are at least 3rd in Europe. Besides, they are the only Balkan team to actually show modern football, and the others are far behind.
Besides, I was much more impressed by Contra than by Raul.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Bucur David: Ilie's release clause is 23 million dollars. 38 is way too much. I heard that Monaco wants Ilie to replace Trezeguet, but once again just rumours.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
i read the same...nonda is the ideal replacement so i dont think monaco would be buying ilie.

david, the 38million is way off...thats too much for ilie. he hasnt shown great enough result to make him worth near that much, but i dont agree with the price of around 15million. valencia should have accepted it because i think his days with valencia are numbered since carew has now joined the club also. ilie needs one great season to get alot of big offers.

about contra, i also heard that zaragoza was leading in the race to get him...so i guess barca is not going to offer more than 9million for him.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was not dissapointed with Yugoslavia, because although I predicted them to win, they did show great attacking football. They got aniahlated by Holland, but it was simply a terrible day for them. Romania got out of a weak group A, only thx to a lot of luck and Phil Neville:) I have nothing against Romania guys! Please don't get me wrong, but well, they really dissapointed me, especially after all the remarks made that Hagi would singlehadedly kill the opposition...etc. Doesn't anyone here think Hagi really played average? I may have gotten Yugo wrong by some extent, but the rest of you didn't give them a hope in group C, at least I believed in them despite that Asian tour:eek: :) Anyway I didn't post this to start another fight, just wantd to hear yalls opinions, unfortunately they're as biased as always:( Can't we discuss this in peace?

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
I agree with you labas that Hagi wasn't single handedly destroying the opposition, he was dissapointing for me in this tournment. And my opinion was not biased, it was based on the truth.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
I think quarter finals are still a good achievement. They could even go further. i dont think i would agree that they didnt do anything.

Also, they have a bright future a head of them with all youngsters. Well done Romania:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts