Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
1st Tier Poster
47,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd say France...they were unlucky to face Germany in the quarters. Certainly a more solid team than the Dutch and I'd fancy their chances vs Argentina as well...overall they showed better and more positive football. Don't forget they weren't far away from taking the Germany match to overtime and actually had 13 shots on goal vs the German 9 shots.

Just goes on to show how much it all is down to luck when a bunch of strong teams with all their strengths and weaknesses face off against each other in such a short tournament.

·
Registered
12,625 Posts
What if...Brazil had both Silva and Neymar :err:

·
Administrator
29,411 Posts
Nah, the four best teams got in the four final. France and Colombia were the next thing. However, they are pretty much in that stage that they just need a handful of players to mature and keep the road up to move ahead.

·
Registered
12,625 Posts
I'd rate the top teams on this tourney as follows:

1. Germany
2. France
3. Argentina
4. Holland
5. Belgium
6. Brazil
7. Colombia
8. Chile
9. Mexico
Good ranking , but take Belgium out there and put C.Rica

·
1st Tier Poster
47,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would without doubt rate France as favorites vs Holland...the Dutch were defensively not that solid and relied so much on Robben especially as RvP looked finished in the playoffs. France is overall simply a more solid team and had more players in good form.

·
Administrator
29,411 Posts
Yeah, makes sense, brazil is the worst team having played with the 7th, 8th, 9th team. Belgium was quite meh in this cup. Easiest group, didn't impress at all, you cannot even say they dominate such groups. Very poor against USA and Against argentina they were completely lost.

·
Administrator
29,411 Posts
I would without doubt rate France as favorites vs Holland...the Dutch were defensively not that solid and relied so much on Robben especially as RvP looked finished in the playoffs. France is overall simply a more solid team and had more players in good form.
France defense was nowhere a big deal either. Nigeria pretty much exposed it despite not exactly having a great attack. And Benzema as usual, disapeared, even having a handfull of good chances against Germany, making all efforts of Valbuena, Matuidi, etc in the middle to be wasted.

·
1st Tier Poster
47,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good ranking , but take Belgium out there and put C.Rica
please...they were made up of random journeymen from Scandinavia, MLS and local league players. They were the greatest overperformers for sure but then again I don't see them beating Chile or Colombia, who were also in good form, hungry for success and simply have a lot more quality in their squad. CRC had the weakest possible opponent in 2nd round...I don't call it luck as they deserved it after their fabulous group stage. They relied on a well-organized defense, disciplined teamwork and a fantastic goalkeeper. But let's not pretend like they played brilliant football and could've picked apart sides like Belgium or Mexico at will.

·
Administrator
29,411 Posts
The problem is not pretending that Costa Rica can pick apart Belgium or Mexico, the problem is thinking Belgium would have either, as your ranking suggests. Tactically, Belgium was awful and ended the Argie game putting tall guys in the area and trying long balls from the middle and amazing, not winning a single one.

·
Registered
12,625 Posts
please...they were made up of random journeymen from Scandinavia, MLS and local league players. They were the greatest overperformers for sure but then again I don't see them beating Chile or Colombia, who were also in good form, hungry for success and simply have a lot more quality in their squad. CRC had the weakest possible opponent in 2nd round...I don't call it luck as they deserved it after their fabulous group stage. They relied on a well-organized defense, disciplined teamwork and a fantastic goalkeeper. But let's not pretend like they played brilliant football and could've picked apart sides like Belgium or Mexico at will.
This is debatable.But they are surely the weakest from the ones you mentioned.

·
Fourth Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
4,820 Posts
I'd rate the top teams on this tourney as follows:

1. Germany
2. France
3. Argentina
4. Holland
5. Belgium
6. Brazil
7. Colombia
8. Chile
9. Mexico
you are ranking belgiam 5th??

its too high andy. I didnt so impressed by them. Better to Belgiam was costa rica even swiss. Swiss game verses Argentina was better than Belgiam game. Swiss coud have equaled in 120 mins but hit post.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts