· Registered
3,735 Posts
This would be my line up:
----------------------Toldo-------------------

----Cannavaro----Nesta----Iuliano----Maldini/Pesotto--

----Zambrotta----Fiore---Albertini----Baronio/Conte/Fuser

----------------------Totti-------------------

---------------------Montella-----------------

Subs:Buffon, *****, Pesotto(if Paolo is there),Ferarra/Pancaro, Panucci, Di Biaggio, Ambrosini, Gattuso, Baronio/Conte/Fuser, Pirlo, R.Baggio, Ventola, Delvecchio, S.Inzaghi(if he proves to be good internationally)
I hope Maldini will still be in the team because he is an asset, but if not then Pesotto is a worthy replacement as he was at Euro2000.
Baronio is a little inexperienced but very skilled. If he proves to be good at the qualifiers, he should become the left mid for Italia. Otherwise Conte and Fuser are both reliable players.
Vieri will obviously be missed alot for that first qualifier but Montella was 4th top scorer last season.
I refuse to include Del Piero and Inzaghi because there are other much better players for their positions and because they have had enough chances to prove themselves as azzuri and failed, even when they were in their 'brilliant form.'

· Registered
3,735 Posts
Yes thats right I forgot about the Olympics so Baronio, Ambrosini, Pirlo, etc won't be there. Not a massive loss though.

· Registered
3,735 Posts
He wasn't in the team because for some reason Zoff prefered Inzaghi and Delvecchio.
Beppe probably isn't good enough to be a starter any more but he definitely should be in the squad. I'd want Beppe in the team over Inzaghi anyday.
Baggio doesn't need to prove himself, it's Baggio for christs sake. He should be chosen over Del Piero anyday.
Forza a gli giocatori vecchi!

· Registered
3,735 Posts
I am not insisting on putting Baggio in the starting 11. Totti and Pirlo are probably better than him at the moment but I still want him in the sqaud. He is 10x more valuable than Del Piero. Cassanno is hard to decide. He looks like potentially being the next Baggio but he must get abit more experience I think.
I too would really like to see Maldini and Baggio holding the WC, I have been hoping to see that my whole life.

· Registered
3,735 Posts
I also would prefer Zambrotta over Fuser. Fuser is still a good player but Zambrotta has proven his worth and is better than Fuser.

· Registered
3,735 Posts
Di Biaggio is still quite a good player, way above average. He was ok at Euro2000, but not as good as Conte. He hasn't been able to find the brilliance he had at France98.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.