Votes: 18 36.7%
  • None of the above

Votes: 2 4.1%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this idea from a post by fcbarcelona :)

We all know that Ronaldinho is a class player, but his free kick conversion rate isn't spectacular to say the least. For Barça, I can only think of two goals where Ronaldinho has scored from a free kick:

vs. RCD Mallorca (last season at Son Moix).
vs. Real Sociedad (last season at the Camp Nou).

If I've missed any more out, feel free to correct my mistake.

And 2 goals from nearly two seasons isn't good enough.

But who do you think should take our free kicks? Deco can take them, while Giovanni Van Bronckhorst has a sweet left foot too. Other candidates could be Rafael Márquez, Samuel Eto'o and Ludovic Giuly, etc.

I've decided to only include our starters in the poll.

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
Xavi. I've seen some of his kicks and he has a really good shot, very precise and with a lot of "effect".

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I have voted Ronaldinho cos i havent seen much of others with respect to free kicks. Seen some of GVB but feel Ronnie is better than him. Though ideally we should have a left and a right footed free kick taker for different positions. The left footed one should be GVB.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Barcawinner said:
Xavi. I've seen some of his kicks and he has a really good shot, very precise and with a lot of "effect".
I have seen Xavi take lots of long distance shots from open play. Remember only one free kick which was the equaliser against Real Madrid at the Camp Nou some years ago ;):).

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Barça_Fan said:
I can only think of two goals where Ronaldinho has scored from a free kick:

vs. RCD Mallorca (last season at Son Moix).
vs. Real Sociedad (last season at the Camp Nou).

If I've missed any more out, feel free to correct my mistake.
He scored one against Espanyol in the Catalan cup before the season started

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Gio's freekicks are very dangerous also long range ones - got to be Marquez, i remeber one he absolutley hammered against sevilla early on and it cracked off the post

I'd go with Gio for left sided freekicks, but i'd still let ronnie hav the majority of right sided ones, dunno exactly why, i just feel that he will make more of them if he does, when in actual fact he hasnt done all season, i wudnt want deco to take them but xavi strikes a great dead ball also so its hard to choose

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Fargo said:
Gio and Xavi should take them I think.

If we had Riquelme, we wouldn't need to make these two threads. :D
When Riqueleme was with Barca i specifically remember that he was dreadful at freekicks. He took them whenever he was on the pitch and never scored, i think he once managed to give an assist from a deadball, when navarro scored.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
I would operate a rotation policy. It would concern other teams, because they wouldn't know what to expect.

Keep in mind I only mean free-kicks where someone is hitting a shot. Any non-shooting dead ball should be left to Lord Xavi. :stuckup:

For close to the goal on the right foot, I would get Ronaldinho, Xavi and Deco to swap around.

For close to the goal on the left foot, Gio is the obvious choice, with perhaps Ronaldinho depending on the exact position of the ball, so he can use his right unexpectedly.

For further away efforts, Marquez and Albertini come to mind. Both have powerful shots, with Albertini in particular having useful skills for this type of free-kick.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
ViscaBarcaInter said:
I would operate a rotation policy. It would concern other teams, because they wouldn't know what to expect.

Keep in mind I only mean free-kicks where someone is hitting a shot. Any non-shooting dead ball should be left to Lord Xavi. :stuckup:

For close to the goal on the right foot, I would get Ronaldinho, Xavi and Deco to swap around.

For close to the goal on the left foot, Gio is the obvious choice, with perhaps Ronaldinho depending on the exact position of the ball, so he can use his right unexpectedly.

For further away efforts, Marquez and Albertini come to mind. Both have powerful shots, with Albertini in particular having useful skills for this type of free-kick.
Exactly what I think.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I agree with the rotation policy, Ronaldinho is hogging freekicks he doesnt even hit the target most of the time, and just smiles even he misses by a mile. Give Deco Xavi, and Marquez a chance, and Gio for right sided freekicks.

Albertini scored a couple of freekicks against us I think, both of them were sheer power and placement, so I would like to see him shoot the long distance freekicks.

·
RIP Alton Ellis
5,659 Posts
It all depends where they are, how good the keeper is and who's on the pitch.
For long straight ones it's got to be Gio. Silvinho also has a very good "pepinazo" on him but has never had the chance to show it. Gaucho when it's near to the edge of the area but Xavi when it's slightly to the left.
Looking forward to seeing one of Albertini's but haven't voted because there are so many possibilities. I am getting a bit sick of seeing Gaucho kicking them into the crowd, though.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
thanx Barca_fan and K4 for making this poll. :thumbsup: :)

IMO XAVI should be our free-kicks takers,he's very accurate and rarely miss the goal.

for short distances here's my order:
1)Xavi
2)Gio
3)Ronaldinho

for long distances
1)Marquez
2)Albertini
3)Ronaldinho

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Fiorito28 said:
I would make Dinho kick most of them personally.
He has been doing that for almost two seasons, two official goals isn't good at all. But nevertheless he is good at getting freekicks.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts