Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been countless debate on who should start on the field when the Portuguese face U.S. in their first game. I think Portugal should play a 4-4-2. But knowing Antoni Oliveria, he will not which is okay too. That just means Pauleta will have to play extraoridinarily. Considering they are playing a 4-5-1 this is who I think should start.

Ricardo - Going to be one of the best in the World
Abel Xavier - Recent form at liverpool puts him ahead
Jorge Costa - Speed is a question but determination isnt
Frenando Couto - Our leader in the back
Rui Jorge - Best left sided player we have
Sergio Conceicao - Turning into a superstar
Luis Figo - Will overcome injury and dominate as usual
Rui Costa - Needs to step up
Armando Petit - Only one here who is not assured to start
Joao Pinto - Should support Pauleta with some balls and in attack
Pauleta - Will be lonely up at striker by himself

With this line-up and our supersub Nuno Gomes coming on for a spark this will be our best chance to win it all.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
My starting XI V USA

.........................................Ricardo

..Frechaut.............Couto..............J Costa..................Rui Jorge

...........................Petit..................Vidigal / Sousa

.......................................Rui Costa
..Conceicao....................................................................Figo

........................................Pauleta

Soccerstud , I am not having a swipe at ya , but I beleive there is an inbalance in the team you selected , You picked only 1 recognised trinco and selected Conceicao , Figo , Costa & JV Pinto when there is only room for 3 of them under Oliveira's starting methods.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
if we play the 4-5-1 system i would have to agree with Couto 5...i guess my question is does anyone know how Paulo Sousa has been with Espanyol???? I've heard that Vidigal has played very well with Napoli, but for some reason he hasn't impressed me in the friendlies he's played....

who would be replaced if we chose a 4-4-2?

another concern is the diving of Mr. Pinto. I watched an interview with Colina who says that FIFA's mandate for this world cup is to punish the divers....has Joao there been eating alot of grass this season???

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
icarus7 said:

another concern is the diving of Mr. Pinto. I watched an interview with Colina who says that FIFA's mandate for this world cup is to punish the divers....has Joao there been eating alot of grass this season???
Are you kidding? Let's just say he must be one regular mofo!

·
Registered
4 Posts
lineup should be different

Yes i too believe that joao viera pinto is a bit of actor. He plunges into the pool if he is touched. but i must admit that jv pinto is one of the best players portugal has. he carried his team sporting cp to the portuguese national title. portugal needs him in their lineup and he makes a big difference in a game.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts