Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Other.........

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Finally a poll on in the Portuguese Primeira Liga & National Team section. Well normely I'd pick Hiddink or Pacheco, but since Humberto Coelho is up there, I'm gonna pick him. Theres no doubt that this guy did a great job in Euro 2000, he must have been good if you look at the worst thing we have defence which was the best at Euro 2000.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man , I think if we were to appoint a new coach It would have to be someone new. If it is someone old that has been appointed, in my eyes , it means people from above the coaching staff have run out of ideas & them themselves must be replaced !!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I shutter at the thought of Artur Jorge :groan: !!! He's already has two chances with the National team and came up woefully short both times....

I think Pacheco or Hiddink would be best Coelho aswell...

Carlos Queiroz and Bobby Robson would be good too, but they're pretty tied up with thier clubs right now. I think a guy like Johan Cruyff or Ruud Gullit wouldn't be bad either. Also, I'm risking a flame job by saying this, but Fatih Terim wouldn't be too bad an option either, but I think it would be a cold day in hell before the FPF opted for a coach from Turkey, somehow I don't think it would be a popular choice with the public either..

·
Registered
137 Posts
Guus.

Coelho, good coach but in my opinion more like a Phil Jackson than anything else (meaning, he's at the right place at the right time...meaning all his players were peaking at EURO 2K and would have done well if they were coached by a cabage patch doll)

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Hmm... I never really thought of that. Thanks Lomes, you do make a good point, but I think there was some good coaching done. Artur Jorge had them when they were even younger and with the potential to win it, but he didn't make the good decisions. A team of 11 players and the best coaching staff will beat a team with the best players and the worst coach any day.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Nice point soccerstar. I think Hiddink would be the best. I mean he's taken a team against all odds and beaten Italy-Portugal-Spain. I mean if you can take a once ****ty team(no offense to any Koreans) and turn them into beating teams which are in the top 10 FIFA World Standings. But you have to think that hadn't Joao Pinto been on the team or Beto been unfortunately been given the red instead of the next game missed- that Korea would have tied.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Does anyone know what Guus Hiddink's contract situation is with Korea? I totally agree that he'd be a great choice as Portugal's head coach, but is it realistic that we could draw him away from Korea, especially after all this success he's had with them, they'll want to hang on to him like gold.

Also, I don't think I'm incorrect in saying that the Koreans have pretty deep pockets compared to the FPF...

·
Registered
549 Posts
i dont think it will be easy to pry away hiddink from korea. as said above, they will treat him like a God, and it will be difficult for them to let him go. you know that he is rolling in $$$$ right now

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lomes said:
Guus.

Coelho, good coach but in my opinion more like a Phil Jackson than anything else (meaning, he's at the right place at the right time...meaning all his players were peaking at EURO 2K and would have done well if they were coached by a cabage patch doll)
Good Call Marco , Keeping that in mind Artur Jorge shouldnt even make it to the interview room

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
F1Soccer-Por. said:
But you have to think that hadn't Joao Pinto been on the team or Beto been unfortunately been given the red instead of the next game missed- that Korea would have tied.
we wouldve won

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
It turns out he's going to return to PSV Eindhoven in Netherlands after the World Cup. So it may not be that difficult to get him. I mean we'll be better able to get in contact with him since we'll be closer than Korea.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
ends up he has a 2 year deal for them.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Bobby Robson with Jose Morinho!
Together they would be ideal for Portuguese soccer!

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Paulo said:
Bobby Robson with Jose Morinho!
Together they would be ideal for Portuguese soccer!
Hey welcome back Paulo :) !!!!!!!!! Long time no see!!!

Are you telling us there should be 2 managers??

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Cruyff not interested in Portugal job

Thursday 27th June 2002

Holland legend Johan Cruyff has dismissed claims that he is set to take charge of the Portuguese national team following the dismissal of Antonio Oliveira.

"So far, nobody from the Portuguese football federation has contacted me," said the former Barcelona coach. "And even if they did, I would not be interested.

"I'm not thinking of returning to coaching in the near future. My decision was taken a long time ago and, for now, I can't see any reason to change my mind.

"I am grateful for all the interest shown, but I would decline any proposal, as I prefer to stay far away from trainer's bench."

Federation president Gilberto Madail earlier revealed that he had dined with Cruyff and discussed the possibility of the Dutchman taking over some time in the future.

However, Cruyff has seemingly already made his mind up, leaving Madail to look elsewhere.

The Portuguese authorities have confirmed they will not choose Oliviera's successor until later this summer, although they admit they are considering the appointment of duel coaches.

Oliveira was dismissed on Tuesday after failing to guide Portugal through the group stage of the World Cup.

onefootball ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts