Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who follow African Football amongst the 5 shortlisted players by CAF whom do you think should win the AFY 2004?

1. Didier Drogba(chelsea)
2.JJ Okocha(bolton)
3.Benny Mcarthy(fc porto)
4.Eto fILS Samuel (Barcelone)
5.Adebayor (Monaco)

Please classify in order of merit.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
eto'o and drogba

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Drogba>Eto'o>Okocha>Benni>Abedayor for me.

I picked Drogba mainly for getting Marseille as far as he did in Europe.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Eto'o first, Drogba second. Wonderful that Adebayor was nominated but he's nowhere near it.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I think it is preety obvious that Samuel Eto'o will win it and he deserves it. :thmbup:

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
samuel eto'o should get it.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Drogba over Eto'o because Drogba was very influential at Marseille and he took them to a UEFA Cup final. Eto'o is blowing up at the moment and if he continues on his current form there will be no contest for 2005, but for 2004 I'd give Drogba a slight advantage over Eto'o. :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
imho, it comes down to okocha :star: ,b.mcarthy and eto'o...

personally i hope okocha wins it, it may be more nostalgic, but it would be a real appreciated award more for what he's done over his career and for african football, not sure if he's won it before though...

benni mcarthy is the strongest cantidate at least for the first half of the season playing an esential part in winning a couple domestic titles with porto and of course the champions league...not sure how he's doing now, but porto are into the next round of the champs league...

with eto'o, well he's just on fire now, arguably one of la liga's best players and the leading scorer with one the worlds biggest clubs...we'll see what happens ;)

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
I'm quite surprised how people can say things like Eto'o for sure, or Eto'o hands down. No offense at all, but what I said was basically true. Drogba was great for l'OM in season 03/04 and he hasn't been doing poor for Chelsea this season either. He got l'OM into the UEFA cup final with some great matches.

Eto'o on the other hand has settled in very well at Barça and he is on fire, definitely, but if you look at the whole calendar year 2004, Drogba would have the edge over Eto'o. If we were to look at the 04/05 season so far, then yes, Eto'o would win it by a mile. Therefore I expect Eto'o to win it hands down next year, because I expect Barça to pick up a few prices with Eto'o in their ranks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Prince-O said:
I'm quite surprised how people can say things like Eto'o for sure, or Eto'o hands down. No offense at all, but what I said was basically true. Drogba was great for l'OM in season 03/04 and he hasn't been doing poor for Chelsea this season either. He got l'OM into the UEFA cup final with some great matches.

Eto'o on the other hand has settled in very well at Barça and he is on fire, definitely, but if you look at the whole calendar year 2004, Drogba would have the edge over Eto'o. If we were to look at the 04/05 season so far, then yes, Eto'o would win it by a mile. Therefore I expect Eto'o to win it hands down next year, because I expect Barça to pick up a few prices with Eto'o in their ranks.

Remember ETO had a sensational end of year 03/04 with mallorca.He scored 17 liga goals despite the fact that he was away for the whole of january during the ANC in Tunisia.He had great games especially the mallorca/real in bernabeu (with a sesational one man show goal).He also scored 4 goals in the EUFA cup.ETO was literally a lone star in mallorca.

Although ETO didn't have a great ANC in Tunisia,the fact that Drogba was comletely absent(CIV could not qualify) would not work in his favour.

Even in Francefoot's top 50 and FIFA top 35 for 2004,eto comes ahead of drogba.

Eto's current performance being fresh in voters minds will also work in his favour.They all have a chance though.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Drogba

1 - 20 of 31 Posts