Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3497688.stm

April 6 1994 a rocket is launched at the plane of President Juvenal Habyarimana's, Rwanda's president. The plane goes down, noone survives. This triggered the genocide that costed the life of over 800.000 people.

For years speculations occur who shot the plane. Theories going from extreme-Hutu's over the French were launched. Yesterday Le Monde quotes a report from a french investigator. He accuses current president (back then leader of RPF, the Tutsi-rebels) Paul Kagamé of having ordered the rocket attack. As leader of the rebels Kagamé benefited from the huge chaos that would cause this act. He very well knew that it would lead to massive killings (mainly Tutsis were the victims), but out of hunger for power went through with it.

As said there have been many speculations round the killing of Habyarimana. Still this one sounds credible. also because Belgian media have found several witnesses, people who were in the unit that carried out the rocket launch. As a coincidence :rolleyes: Kagamé is visiting Belgium and today he will be received on the royal palace.

Last year Rwanda had elections. Kagamé won with 95% of the votes, litterally every independent observer spoke of huge manipulations and fraud. Everybody except our ministre of foreign affaires Louis Michel. Now I'm not being naive, of course Kagamé's influence in parts of Congo (tiny Rwanda has invaded Congo a couple of years back) that are full of valuable natural ressources. The interests of our economical elite are still huge there. Still there is not only the cynic approach.

A couple of months back Congolese president Kabila visited our country, getting all the egards possible. It's well known that Louis Michel has made it a personal goal to apreace the region. The conflict between Rwanda and Congo (in fact several African countries are involved in the battel of this rich area) has been the most bloody conflict since WWII (although it has gotten no media coverage at all). Michel is using a very realistic approach. He too knows that he's dealing with ruthless killers, still he sees them as the only way to get some stability in the region.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3497688.stm

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Kagamé was behind this for sure. Not only the witnesses make him a suspect, also the countless racial remarks he made over the years are a reminder of the way he does things.

About Belgiums approach, I agree with what you say about Michel.

ADRIAAN
_______

·
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
3,938 Posts
Paul Kagame was probably behind the shootdown of Juvenal's jet (well certainly his operation which was fighting the group that was in power at the time was involved, whether he pulled the trigger is inconsequential) and of course he (and all in his community) knew what the results might be. But everyone involved in Rwanda knew what the results might be. Anyone who claims to be shocked by what happened later is just lying. And everyone continues to be covering their asses on it, too (France, Belgium, USA, UN, Tutsi's and Hutus, I would trust 50% of everything they say on the subject). Certain of people in Habyarimana's clique probably knew what was going down (and certainly thier particular international sponsors too) and certainly wanted him on the plane, since they were simply waiting for the spark to set off their plans (which had been formed some time before the crash). And Geert, when you write that mainly Ba-Tutsi's were the victims, believe me, that in the initial genocide of April and May, any Ba-Hutu's killed were pretty much killed by mistake (it is actually almost impossible to tell one from the other, no matter what the racial puritists in Rwanda/Burundi say). later on it was alittle different, just a little.

Don't get me started on whether realpolitik works in Africa, becuase I may go on to Glen-ian length on why it is, at its roots, a bad idea. Today's "respected statesman" (a useful term for whatever killer made it to the top of the heap that week and is now President) is so often next month's corpse in the river that basing political diplomacy around them is kind of short-sighted. Rather than actually working for structural change in Africa, Western polticians so often fall into the neo-colonial trap of suporting one big man over another, which, while sometimes leading to temporary stabilty (until the next big man and his crowd take the palace and the killings resume), does little to adress the roots of Africa's problems, and if anything exacerbate them.

RIO

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RIO said:
And Geert, when you write that mainly Ba-Tutsi's were the victims, believe me, that in the initial genocide of April and May, any Ba-Hutu's killed were pretty much killed by mistake (it is actually almost impossible to tell one from the other, no matter what the racial puritists in Rwanda/Burundi say). later on it was alittle different, just a little.
Yes i know, but it was only to show how perverted that would make Kagame.

RIO said:
Don't get me started on whether realpolitik works in Africa, becuase I may go on to Glen-ian length on
Actually that was the aim of my post :)

·
3,938 Posts
Oh, but I'm so BUSY. :D
Didn't I do something on Rwanda already? I can't recall. If not, I guess I could, but I must warn you that your country don't come out too good...but then again neither does mine. ;)

RIO

·
3,938 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts