Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now days we see plays diving and going down at the slightest touch, world class players do it, average players do it week in week out. Who do you think is to blame? and what should be done?

Personally i think the whole blame goes to the referees and FA's, they see players dive every week and they still seem to give free kicks every week and they still seem to give free kicks every time. The players should get banned even if the ref does not catch it.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Diving is part of the game, ref shouldn't be blamed 'entirely' IMO (maybe unless its blatant dive seen by almost everyone and he still gives it) but the game is moving fast and they are still human being.

Perhaps video evidence to deter players by punishing them?! Or just as accept it and don't moan when some foreigner does it to you. Its good when your team does it but bad when its done against you.....human nature

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
FIFA for being against video evidence. It's utterly retarded to allow so much money at stake and the expectations and hopes of millions of fans to depend on the eyes of one man who can get tired, has his view obstructed and so on. If tennis where refs mistakes are a lot less decisive than in football can introduce video replay with great success, football should follow its example immediately.
Refs of course have to get some of the blame too. Not calling correctly is one thing but I am really baffled when they spot a clear dive, don't give a free kick or penalty but don't brandish a yellow card for diving either. WTF?! This happens almost in every game.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
It is interesting, beyond what refs and co. should do, that players themselves feel it's alright. Does anyone here dive during 5 a sides or whatever? You'd get laughed at, or here in Glasgow, stabbed probably. :D I personally consider it extremely non-masculine behaviour, and as such not acceptable from men.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Diving is part of the game, ref shouldn't be blamed 'entirely' IMO (maybe unless its blatant dive seen by almost everyone and he still gives it) but the game is moving fast and they are still human being.

Perhaps video evidence to deter players by punishing them?! Or just as accept it and don't moan when some foreigner does it to you. Its good when your team does it but bad when its done against you.....human nature
You're spot on if we're awarded a penalty and clearly we know it's not we may say it's not a penalty but more of course we're so delighted and couldn't give a real rat's arse as long as we score.In saying thi it's such a sad blight on our beautiful game that player's have to resort to such disgraceful antisportsmanship to get result's.

It's not alway's easy to tell if a player actually has deserved the penalty of free kick especially near goal,but if quite clearly it's seen as being intentionally trying to cheat then severe punishment's must follow.Ref's and linesmen are put in such position's,that's why I say the sooner video evidence is brought into the game the far better,not only will it make player's think twice about cheating but also it will surely clean up the game so much.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Good point Ano:thumbsup:when change's are needed to be made than so they should,we adapted to the backpass rule some year's back even though that's totally a different thing.But if FIFA are serious about wanting to clean up the game and stamp out chaeting etc then this has to happen,it's happen in other sport's Tennis and Cricket clearly.

·
XT's Demi-God
8,662 Posts
I blame the media & money. It's always been part of the game, but the media create such pressure on every result or moment, that a win at all costs mentality is in place, so that even "honest" players take a dive to con the ref. Then've you got sponsorships, where even is player is a diving queen he still be sponsorshipped for anything possible. Principles are out the window.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
The blame has to be trown to the top, FIFA.

A yellow card regardless of a penalty appeal is the answer (coupled with video evidence) So if a player dives in the middle of the pitch without being fouled, thus trying to get the other player carded, give the fouled player a yellow card if appealing a penalty then a red!

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
everyone has talked about video evidence, that's what they should be doing it for. refs review the match after its completion and put in their report that X dived. then a match ban.

SerieA is the only league that i have seen use video evidence post match to what i believe is success. i know the most recent thing they've done is ban gilardino for punching the ball into the net, something that was done TWICE last year in la liga and the players were applauded in spain. but im sure serieA has used video eveidence to do a few more things, they're on the right path with this, everyone should learn from them.

·
Administrator
52,970 Posts

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
SerieA is the only league that i have seen use video evidence post match to what i believe is success. i know the most recent thing they've done is ban gilardino for punching the ball into the net, something that was done TWICE last year in la liga and the players were applauded in spain. but im sure serieA has used video eveidence to do a few more things, they're on the right path with this, everyone should learn from them.
No, they are not, they are using video evidence in a totally arbitrary fashion, thus making it more of a nuisance than something really effective. I mean, they once banned Adriano for diving and that was it, no one else has been banned for that in more than a year, IIRC. As for Gila's "hand of God", I personally think it's absolutely ridiculous to get a two match ban for handball considering how often players players handle the ball deliberately, the ref doesn't call it, yet they are not banned later. The fact that Gila scored on that occasion shouldn't be relevant as it has no bearings on the rulebook and its implementation, I am sure he would never have been banned had he done the same and missed the net.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
What a di.ck gerrard is!!

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
everyone has talked about video evidence, that's what they should be doing it for. refs review the match after its completion and put in their report that X dived. then a match ban.

:D Shame they only use it once every 5/6 months, it is the right idea though and would work much much better if they used it more often. I would like to see video evidence for ghost goals but not much more than that or maybe do like in tennis where you can challenge a decision 2 or 3 times max so we are not starting and stopping.

As for the diving, I guess you can only blame the player that cheated the ref.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
It is interesting, beyond what refs and co. should do, that players themselves feel it's alright. Does anyone here dive during 5 a sides or whatever? You'd get laughed at, or here in Glasgow, stabbed probably. :D I personally consider it extremely non-masculine behaviour, and as such not acceptable from men.
non masculine? Football is a game with a prize, and evidently players are willing to do whatever it takes. It is not a temple to manhood or whatever.

EDIT: oh, and male values a la Glasgow are not necessarily universal the world over, think about that for a minute

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Good clip Ozzy it really expose's something sad about Gerrard well after watching that,also someone of his stature is quite sad with so many kid's and people looking up to him.

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
No, they are not, they are using video evidence in a totally arbitrary fashion, thus making it more of a nuisance than something really effective. I mean, they once banned Adriano for diving and that was it, no one else has been banned for that in more than a year, IIRC. As for Gila's "hand of God", I personally think it's absolutely ridiculous to get a two match ban for handball considering how often players players handle the ball deliberately, the ref doesn't call it, yet they are not banned later. The fact that Gila scored on that occasion shouldn't be relevant as it has no bearings on the rulebook and its implementation, I am sure he would never have been banned had he done the same and missed the net.
ah right, well they have the right idea, their execution is poor. they could review all the games at the weekend, with the match referee at hand. would work quite well i reckon.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
non masculine? Football is a game with a prize, and evidently players are willing to do whatever it takes. It is not a temple to manhood or whatever.

EDIT: oh, and male values a la Glasgow are not necessarily universal the world over, think about that for a minute
I think you're mis-understanding my point. The players playing the sport cannot deny their gender, and genetically there is a lot more to a man than simply a penis. Thus, despite your odd, "got it the wrong way round" claim there, certain traits ARE universal to the point it takes conscious choice to go against them. It's nothing to do with me being Glaswegian, although I'm not going to apologise for us looking down our collective noses at effeminate continentals, with their rolling over 5 times, crying in fake pain, wild gesticulating and so on. It's embarrassing to watch, surely for any man. The fact that the players are cheating is bad enough. The fact that they do it in such a poncy fashion makes it worse for me and lots of others judging by message boards, phone ins, newspapers and so on.

The fact is for all the talk about refs doing more, and associations doing more to retroactively punish players, they themselves are still choosing to cheat in this embarrassing fashion. And they should be called on it. Try talking to a fan of rugby or MMA sometime and trying to explain away this crap. If you have a different reason for being against diving, assuming you are, then please elaborate. I'm simply doing the same.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Good clip Ozzy it really expose's something sad about Gerrard well after watching that,also someone of his stature is quite sad with so many kid's and people looking up to him.
I assume Liverpool fans loves him all the more for ditching 'principle' when needing a pk in the last minute :).

The ludicrous/offensive thing about that penalty is that it was given. I for one don't blame Gerrard at all, nor was it a real dive. After all there was obviously contact - even if it should never have been punished.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts