Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is no doubt that nowadays Roger Federer is the most talented one in the whole circiut, but who comes after him???

Rafa Nadal is an awesome player, but most of his play depends in his supernatural physical shape and speed.
Something similar can be said about that prick of Leyton Hewitt.

My two picks would be Marat Safin and David Nalbandian. In a good day, these two are above the rest, and perhaps in a same level with Roger.
The thing with Roger is his regularity. Even in a bad day, he plays great and is hard to beat.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Shouldn't credit be given for having physical talent and mental fortitude. There are tons of talented players but most of them don't have the intensity of a Nadal or Hewitt which is why they are not near the top. Gasquet is pretty talented but he isn't anywhere near Nadal rankings wise. Marat is also talented but inconsistent due to his mental state and the fact that he hits flat shots which can go haywire on a player. Nalbandian is pretty talented but lacks a big serve. There is a reason why Nadal and Federer are so far ahead of everyone else.

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
Inconsistency and imence tallant that is what makes up Marat on a good day he play a cat and mouse game with any tennis player and anytime he looses you just know he didnt get outplayed by the opposition but rather himself. If Safin ever finds consistancy he will no doubt be the greatest challange for Roger.

Nadal is young and his game has yet to proggress enough to be as good, right now clay is basicly his power and on clay he looks just as good on Roger but on grass or hard cort he looks just like anyother tallanted teenager.

·
Registered
428 Posts
In the red corner....wearing the white trunks.....the 2005 Australian open Champion......"Merciliess" Maraaaat Safiiiiiiiiiiin.*ding ding ding*

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Its James Blake. When Blake was at his best he was 4-1 up against the fed express on serve!

I remember Ancic i think lost the first set 6-0 and then won the 2nd 6-0 against Federer when he was injured that was an awsome match.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Marat Safin if you want pure talent. Id also consider David Nalbandian.

·
Registered
36,109 Posts
Nalbandian and Ljubicic are the only ones that give Federer a run for his money..

tie breakers kill both..

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,446 Posts
The swiss machine....can you imagine if he and Hingis had a kid, tennis player ????

The end of the world ...... :cap:

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
I dont really rate Ljubicic as much as some people.

He has a superb serve but his actual Tennis game imo isnt that special at all. I watched him a few times and when it gets to the rallys he is nothing special. Without his serve i think he would be a no body. His serve is awsome and if you win every one of your service games you cannot lose.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Parma Talent said:
I dont really rate Ljubicic as much as some people.

He has a superb serve but his actual Tennis game imo isnt that special at all. I watched him a few times and when it gets to the rallys he is nothing special. Without his serve i think he would be a no body. His serve is awsome and if you win every one of your service games you cannot lose.
I agree with you, but Ljubicic does also have a good backhand and he has worked on his forehand to make it a lot better than it was before. Without his serve he wouldnt be top 20 but then again a lot of players would be bad without their number 1 shot.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Yes I could only hope Filippo Volandri had a good serve!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
colocolo said:
Do you like anything or anybody OUTSIDE of Spain ???? :eek:

Nadal is great, he is arguably the second best player at this moment, and the first at clay surface.
And he is just 19, he will improve and make great achieves at faster surfaces.

There is nothing wrong in choosing him.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I cant see nadal ever doing so good in Wimbledon, but I think he will play good roles in the US, Australian and obviously the French for many years. This years French he is favourite, but I think Federer will win it in the end for some reason, he is getting closer against Nadal.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts