Xtratime Community banner

Who is the most legendary player in Italian football of the last 20 years?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just one criterion: he must have played at least 10 years in Serie A during the last 20 seasons - 1993/94-2012/13. That rules out players like Baresi and Bergomi who played their best football more than 20 years ago. You could argue that Baggio had his best years more than 20 years ago but since he meets the criterion, he has to be included in the poll.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Btw. forgot Nedved and Thuram. Not sure how to edit the poll. Perhaps a mod could include them?

·
Registered
12,131 Posts
"Legendary" and "best" can mean two different things. Then, there's legendary by popularity (Baggio) vs. legendary in terms of 1+ key achievements or legendary for reaching a milestone (Zanetti, Maldini, Totti), and legendary by virtue of uniqueness (Buffon).

To me, Fabio Cannavaro. Main contributing factor: His legendary performance in WC 2006 where he was the main protagonist for Italy from start to finish (unlike Baggio), writing his name in the history books as the best CB of all time in WC's.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I wanted to know who's more popular, I would just google the names and see who came up with the most results.

I'm interested in knowing who you feel deserves to go down in history as the greatest legend.

You should naturally consider such aspects as the players' personality, talent as well as accomplishments.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My personal favourite player of the last 10 years. The essence of football and not just aesthetically as his importance for the triumphs of Milan, Juve and not least the Italian national team cannot be underestimated.

Still, it seems there was a magnet that forced my finger to move toward Maldini and push the button.

·
Registered
17,495 Posts
Baggio for me, but i think Pirlo has been the best/most influential player.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, it's a close race between the club symbols, Totti and Maldini. At first, I actually just thought of asking who's more legendary between those two, after once again feeling incredibly impressed by Totti watching Roma-Parma last night, and since I figured they would surely get the most votes anyway.

·
Registered
17,495 Posts
Yeah but it's mainly along club affiliation, the Milanisti are voting Maldini and the Romanisti are voting Totti.

So it's hardly objective.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah perhaps I should've made this poll in the World Football forum.

But still think that, even if we ignored the votes which are influenced by club affiliation, Totti and Maldini would come out on top.

·
Registered
40,297 Posts
Laudrup said:
So, it's a close race between the club symbols, Totti and Maldini. At first, I actually just thought of asking who's more legendary between those two, after once again feeling incredibly impressed by Totti watching Roma-Parma last night, and since I figured they would surely get the most votes anyway.
You can't also forget Buffon & DP for as great symbols of Juve.

·
Registered
40,297 Posts
for me, if i vote for the legendary by popularity, he should be Baggio.

Buffon and Canavaro deserve as well who won the WC and the scudetto...etc

Nero said:
Baggio for me, but i think Pirlo has been the best/most influential player.
Pirlo also is the most enjoyable to watch among SerieA and the Azzuri players in last few years.

·
Registered
28,215 Posts
As much as I rate Maldini and Baggio, especially the latter, much of their work was prior to this period, while Totti's for example happens to just commence. I would give Totti the nod but I cannot praise Robi Baggio enough, fantastic ability and a nice character all-round.

·
Laziale, Independent
6,075 Posts
Javier Zanetti for me!

An example on and off the pitch. No controversy around him, always examplery.

Respect.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You can't also forget Buffon & DP for as great symbols of Juve.
I didn't say they're not. But since you mention it, I would say Zanetti is more an Inter symbol than Buffon a Juve symbol (the latter did after all play 10 years at Parma).

What sets Totti and Maldini apart from those three and from the rest of the list, of course, is that they've only ever represented one club.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts