Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who do you think was (or is) the greatest Irish footballer of all time. And this is 1 name overall, it doesn't matter the position. For my part I'll have too mull it over in my mind for a day before I answer.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Will I get stoned to death if I say Georgie Best? ;)

If we only take players from The Republic, it's a toss between Liam Brady and Paul McGrath.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Will I get stoned to death if I say Georgie Best? ;)
Yes u will!:tongue:

I am going to say John Aldridge and Roy Keane. Both fantastic players and king's of their domain!:)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keane certainly has the potential to be, but his career isn't over yet and I'd prefer not to get my crystal ball out on this one (its heavy and all the way back in my closet, under a whole bunch of crap) So for me it would be between Aldridge and McGrath. Hmmm I think I'll go for Aldridge he was an amazing goal scorer, the best Ireland has had so far IMO.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I am too young to remember Brady so I am going to go for Paul McGrath.

However I think when Keane retires he will be widely recognised as our best ever player.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I can remember Brady towards the end. My most vivid memories of him in an Ireland jersey are during the qualifcation to Euro '88, his last minute penalty against Belgium in Brussels, and standing on the terrace in the Havelock Square end in the pissing rain, as my Grandad applauded him after he was sent of against Bulgaria for giving some guy a dig. What is unfortunate about Brady was that he was one of the best players in the world, but never got to play in a major championship. He was injured during Euro 88, but never got to play to his strengths under Charlton anyway. If he'd been a few years younger and made his mark at a major tournament this could well be a closed case.

However, there's a lot of its and buts. One player who was at his peak during our glory years was McGrath, he allways was magnificent when we needed him most (NYC 94 v Italy, never to be forgotten). Also as the guy came form an orphanage, he deserves respect.

So, after all that, my vote goes to the Paul. However this summer could be time for a new hero to stand up and be counted!!

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Do you guy's remember when Aldridge was supposed to go on against Mexico in the 94 WC and the line's man didn't let him go on! lol! Then after 5mins the line's man realised his mistake and let him on! John went on to score but he was so angry! Look's like all the Irish are angry, Keano, Keano Jr, etc... Nobody messes with us!:howler:

By the way, I know that didn't really have anything to do with the thread but I said it anyway!:D :tongue: ;) :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
It is impressive that Ireland have had many great players. Today of course Keane is a great players, but looking back at Aldrige, Quinn (well he still plays), McGrath, O'Leary, Houghton, Stapleton... A great list, I've definately forgotten someone...

But I think Pat Bonner was a great goalkeeper, may be Ireland's best player ever!? Well, it's not an easy one!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah Pat Bonner I had completely forgotten about Pat, what a fantastic keeper. We've got a pretty great keeper right now too. Keeping has not been a weakness for Ireland in a long while. Now if we could only close Bonner or Given for the Romanian national team then that would be great. It would be Patrious Bonnescu or Sai Giveneanu ;) :)

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Donegal's a real breeding ground for long-armed monkey-men, eh?
And I don't mean that in a bad way... :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
me, but i never got my chance to break into the international scene. i was undefeated in nods n volleys in the front garden against my younger brother and his friends - my bicycle kicks were stunning

1 - 14 of 14 Posts