Xtratime Community banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
This was such a shame about Hypolito, he was absolutely brilliant before that but screwed up in such a ridiculous way.

The Russian Basketball team flopped pretty badly, they are the reigning European Champions but couldn't even get out of their preliminary group here. Also the Women Long jump World Champion Naide Gomes, she couldn't even make the final and finished way behind in the qualifying (2 fouls and a third attempt on which she totally screwed up her run up and recorded only 6.29 meters).

·
Registered
15,404 Posts
Australian cycling team.

10 medals in Athens, 1 in Beijing. Flop.
The Aussies didnt really flop on the track, it's just that Great Britain are by far and away the most dominant track cyclists. It's like now expecting a top class sprinter to beat Usain Bolt in a sprint.

Alejandro Valverde and Paolo Bettini were two of the biggest flops. They were the two outstanding favourites for the cycling road race on a course that was perfect for both, and neither came anywhere near getting a medal.

·
Registered
43,248 Posts
That's really unfortunate. Tyson Gay has had a miserable Olympics. Even though he says his injury didn't affect his performances, I think they did. He looked in pain after the 100m heat and I think he could have run a better race, even if it's obvious there was no beating Bolt.

But my pick is Federer, unfortunately - I expected him to turn up at these Olympics but he's still really out of it.

·
Outstanding Post of the Year 2007
2,487 Posts
US runners period...I wonder what Cassius Clay is thinking now, when he said the American black man was the superior race

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
US runners period...I wonder what Cassius Clay is thinking now, when he said the American black man was the superior race
Outside of the Women's 100 meters and the complete debacle in both 4x100 meter relays, the performance hasn't been as bad as everyone is saying. Our failure in those two relays is definitely amongst the biggest flops of the Olympics and shows a complete lack of preparation.:(

However, the men swept the 400 meters, 400 meter hurdles, picked up two medals in the 110 meter hurdles and the 200 meters (although one of them was due to the ridiculous disqualification of the guy from the Netherlands Antilles), and they got a bronze in the 100 meters. That's 11 out of 15 possible medals in the men's short sprint events. In 2000, the US got 6/15 medals and in 2004, they got 9/15 (with three golds). So, I think it's a pretty impressive performance.

I guess the problem is that only two of the medals are gold, but let's be honest. Usain Bolt is truly unbeatable and Dayron Robles is the smoothest hurdler I have ever seen. It's a tall order to beat those two champions.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts