Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To me I would say it must be shared between Aimar and Baraja ..

What do ye think guys?

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'll go with the entire squad.
It's teamwork and hardwork that earned such glory.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That,s rigt Bro...

But I guess those who were really Vital....Aimar and Baraja

·
Registered
280 Posts
In our case there's no easy answer for this question and it needs kind of elaboration......

Sure, you can't go wrong saying that this(year's effort) was first of all and most importantly TEAMWORK.....it was...simple and clear........
but that still doesn't mean we can't pick someone who deserved it more than others......IMO picking one name in our case wouldn't bee the right thing so I'll try to bring some more light on it giving my top five based on two different criterions:

1)consistency in playing well required position throughout the WHOLE (keyword) season

2)impact in our AWEKENING last couple of months ( when we started to play some real football)

Top five based on the 1st(consistency) criterion:

1)David Albelda

One of the best players(if not the best) in the first part of the season(continuing with his good form until this moment)....have not such an impact upfront like some other midfielders(like Baraja,Rufete etc.) but arguably our best DM (especially when it comes to tackling and marking) what makes him a great addition to our defence(and gives him a lot of credit in our defensive success this year)....cos of his tough tackling some people tend to call him "thug" or "butcher" but everyone sincere have to agree that he's not a filty player.....

2)Santiago Canizares

Except couple of games he was out cos of broken ribb in the 1st part of season(when Palop replaced him very well) he played throughout the whole season in a way that gave a lot of confidence to our defence....
he had a dip in his form during Dec and Jan (making some for him unusual blunders in the games vs. Valladolid, Malaga etc.) but also having a remarkable performances like vs. Real M., Las Palmas,Alaves etc.....
simply put, a real captain and someone always to rely on..........

3)Francisko Rufete

We already voted him as a "rookie of the year" and I'm sure that if we had a "surprise of the year" pool, he would probably won it too......
I have to admit I was suspicious about him all the way until the start of the second round(I prefered to see Vicente playing on the right ) but he crushed all my(our) doubts in style.......almost all our attacking play(in the 1st part of champ.) was going through the wings and in those days it was him and Vicente who were our driving force upfront........he scored a lot of very important goals(Benitez should thank him particulary for still being our coach).......right now he's suffering a little dip in his form (after we started to praise him loudly;) )....

4)Fabian Ayala

It has to be said that overall this season wasn't so brilliant for him (aswell as for Pellegrino) as the previous one(personally I don't want to think that the contract issue was decisive factor for being so, but if it was IMO it was our managment's mistake,not his).....but being THE PILLAR of the arguably best defence in Liga this year(and he played most of the year except this latest few games injury rest) gives him right to be on this list.....

5)Amadeo Carboni

Heroic achievement for 36 year old......not only that he managed to keep his starting position ahead of Aurelio he put up a lot of great performances this year aswell.....he was more consistant than Torres (never had really a big dip in his form like Torres had in Dec and Jan) and it's gonna be a real pity if the game against Espanyol turn out to be his last one this season.....

From the choices above it's easy to conclude that our defence was the better part of this team looking at the season overall......sure, we were not exactly playing attractive football in the 1st part of the season and our defence was the force holding everything up together.....for last 3 months things significately changed(we started to play much more attacking football) but without our defence as a solid base that would probably never happen.......

Top five based on 2nd(impact) criterion:

1)Pablito Aimar--our only real playmaker, main inspiration in our attack for last 3 months, scored some decisive goals.........

2)Ruben "Pipo" Baraja--for last month and a half seriously "fighting" with Aimar for the first spot......our best allround midfielder (does everything from tackling to attacking) with a beautiful habbit to score very important goals..............

3)Francisco Rufete

4)Kily Gonzales- enormous influence to the rest of the teammates(especially Aimar) on and of the pitch...............

5)David Albelda

As you can see again from the choices above the most important reason we started to play well is cos our midfield started to perform well....but as I sad before it couldn't happen without solid defence.....it's an basic but in the same time insufficient condition for great permances by our team.....

so, to sum it up:tongue: :

IMO it's between Albelda and Rufete...........

·
Registered
518 Posts
It's a whole 38 games in a season, I prefer consistency combined with captaincy. Santiago Canizares.

·
Star Player
2,961 Posts
Ploti, you really like to elaborate on stuff related to football, don't you?:tongue: I wouldn't mind giving you the best poster award if there were any;) And to think that this is coming from a laziali:dazed: :D Anyway, I would probably go for Rufete from the limited number of matches of Valencia I got to watch:rolleyes:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Utopia:tongue: ,

instead of giving me useless awards you guys should pull yourself together and beat Inter on Sunday;) :tongue:

or at least draw.....I'm really hoping for the play-offs:angel:

and Celta could help us by winning on Sunday to....
to keep the pressure on Depor for the last game (if needed) :eek:

·
MoMo
6,835 Posts
Plotinus said:

instead of giving me useless awards you guys should pull yourself together and beat Inter on Sunday;) :tongue:

or at least draw.....I'm really hoping for the play-offs:angel:

Oh yeah don't worry :D, things are under control.. I mean our players are so fired up that Mendieta just fought with Colonnese in training ;):tongue:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Momo:tongue: ,

but I've heard that Crespo and Lopez are already pulling out from Sunday......

got scared of an possible fans reaction if they (God forbid:tongue: ) score a goal accidentally? ;)

·
MoMo
6,835 Posts
Plotinus said:
Momo:tongue: ,

but I've heard that Crespo and Lopez are already pulling out from Sunday......

got scared of an possible fans reaction if they (God forbid:tongue: ) score a goal accidentally? ;)
Nesta already told some fans to "go to hell" when they started cursing at Pancaro .. so you could imagine the situation ;)

Crespo might make it though..

Anyway.. let's not ruin the thread ;)

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
IMHO, baraja, aimar, canizares. (in this specific order).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts