Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really think that this issue really needs to be sorted out sooner rather than later. We seem to have this thing where we will always stick with a keeper until he needs a zimmer. Look at Shilton and now Seaman, we seem so obsessed with experience that we forget that maybe they are given too much time. My question is who do you guys think should be the England number 1 for now and in the future.

The options are:

David Seaman (Arsenal)
Nigel Martyn (Leeds)
David James (Aston V)
Ian Walker (Spurs)
Richard Wright (Ipswich)
Nicky Weaver (Man City)

In my view the keeper for this tournament should have been Martyn as he has had some experience and Seaman has made a lot of mistakes recently. I know that Martyn can be eratic at times but I have not seen this happen on the pitch for England.
Ian Walker has played an important match versus Italy and was blamed for Zolas goal (unfairly?).
David James seems to have a big problem as he does not seem to be able to handle the pressure of a big occasion. His fumbles are always produced when the nation is watching with intent.
Wright is a great keeper and last season (98-99) he kept more than 20 clean sheets for Ipswich and he is definately one for the future. I feel that his chance should come within the next 4 years and hopefully he will play for a long time.
Nicky Weaver is an amicable number 2 for Wright and has helped City get promoted back to the PL. This will be where we see what the kid is made of but he looks very promising.

I hope that Ipswich get up as that will mean Wright will also be on the big stage.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
i think for euro 2000, martyn should start, with seaman as backup. martyn is in form, and in my opinion, best keeper in england at the moment
wright, i think shouldnt be in the england team at the moment. david james should be 3rd choice. no matter wat he did in the fa cup final, he has had a magnificent season. wright, will be in the england squad as 2nd choice at the end of next season in my opinion. ipswich will get promoted, and he will get the chance to prove his skill in the premier league
weaver also will be able to show off his skill in the premier league too with man city

------------------
LOOSE MOOSE

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I'd go with Martin for the next few years, Seaman seems to be getting to the stage where his England career is coming to an End.

I rate Ian Walker as the same kind of keeper as David James, i.e tends to make mistakes at crucial times.

For the future I'd have to go with either Wright or Weaver.

D

·
0 Posts
David James only made that one crucial mistake against Chelsea in the FA Cup Final, but he or Nigel Martyn should be England no.1 keeper. Seaman is in his best form during the whole last season, but his best isn't enough anymore.

------------------

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thing with James is that the same happened when he was with the pool and it cost us a lot (3 trophioes I believe). IO know that we can not blame him solely but I believe that we would have won at oleast 2 of those if we had someone like Martyn between the sticks.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Don't get me wrong Driver X, I rate James as a good Keeper, he just tends to have a concentration lapse at crucial times. This is why I'd not have him as England no1

B

·
0 Posts
In my opinion Seaman is over the hill!

Martyn should be the number one but I think it is to late to start him now as it is so late to the start of Euro 2000.

The three keepers should be...

Martyn
Seaman
Walker

Weaver/Wright have not play at this levle so they should not go. And James makes to many mistakes and can't deal with crosses!

S

·
0 Posts
I can´t really see why the 3rd spot are up for debat, cos apparently we all agree that wright is the man for the future, don´t we. And seriously, how big is the chance, that Englands nr 3 keeper will make in on the pitch?? Not very big, we can all agree on that can´t we. And that´s why wright should be 3rd keeper, so he can get some experience. And even if Martyn or Seaman should get seriously injured, then they have the right to replace him with another keeper, which means James or Walker could be called up to the squad, and then be used as 2nd choice, with wright remaining 3rd keeper.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
It seems that Keegan is in agreement! :)

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hope that the guy plays well for England on his debut as he has played well all year and the save he pulled off in the play offs was just superb.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts