Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am sick of watching every other game with someone else wearing the 9 jersey , in reality it means nothing , but i mean the number 9 jesey means a lot in a sense. hell i take alot of pride in wearing the 9 jersey for my school. But the point is that every time we play some else has it moore, razov, MATHIS ! , for the most part everyone has there own number on the team, but for some reason the most recognized numer is not settled. And well its quiet obvious that mathis deserves it so why the hell is razov wearing it or moore. is it just me or do i have a case .

·
Registered
401 Posts
I would like to see the team come out wearing 1-11. The GK should have number 1. Really it doesn't matter, but this is what I would like to see.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i agree to an extent , but some of the starters have had numbers over 11 most of there career on the national team. such as armas 14 pope 23 and mcbride 20. it would just seem wierd to see them wearing another number , but my point is the number 9 should be a settled number

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
If you go by the 'old" numbering system, then the answer, IMO is Brian McBride.

1 - Keller
2 - Sanneh
3 - Regis
4 - Amras
5 - Pope
6 - Agoos
7 - O'Brian
8 - Stewart
9 - McBride
10 - Reyna
11 - Mathis

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Alright, I'll show my ignorance :embarass: .

I always thought #10 was the most prestigious number to wear. Could someone give me the history on why #9 is the best?

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
# 10 is worn by the teams playmaker , example Zidane and Reyna and many others. 9 is usually the striker , more so the goal scoring stiker example Ronaldo , Batistuta. I have an article on what each number means , if you want i could try a dig the magazine up and give you are more in depth definiton , just let me know.

·
Registered
674 Posts

Hey, guys, one of the greatest players of all time still wears number 9 . . . Mia Hamm! She's earned it and worn it well.

Oldplayer

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
The numbering system was used early in the century to identify the different possitions on the field since in the early days most teams used 5 guys defending and 5 guys attacking. In all essence there were 2 lines of 5

2 - 3 - 4 -5 - 6 against 7 - 8- 9 - 10 -11

Where the offensive guys only attacked and the defensive guys only defended. Little by little the players started either pull up or go down into the midfield.

1. Goalkeeper
2. Right Back
3. Sweeper or Fullback
4. Center Back
5. Stopper or Defensive Midfielder
6. Left Back
7. Right Winger
8. Right Offensive Midfielder
9. Center Forward
10. Left Offensive Midfielder
11. Left Winger

1 - 8 of 8 Posts