Xtratime Community banner

Who is going to be Oliveira's Surprise selection on Monday?

• Ricardo Quaresma (Sporting)

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Hugo Viana (Sporting)

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Dani (Atletico Madrid)

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Daniel Kennedy (Maritimo)

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Makukula (Salamanca)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Joao Tomas (Real Betis)

• Bino (Tenerife)

• Other (Please specify)

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Pila ;)

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
International
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uma Surpresa!

According to Rui Costa, Oliveira will have a surprise in store when he names his 23 man roster.

http://www.maisfutebol.iol.pt/futb/mf_editoria?mf_edi=1566&mf_id=46959&mf_club=0&num_jog=0&p_sondagem=0&p_voto=0

If Oliveira has any sense, that surprise would be Dani. After Simao went down, with Viana struggling in the AA team, and Leal hurt, this would be the most surprising yet effective call-up.

Dani has had a monster season, he's matured, and best he provides the depth and the left foot necessary to balance this team out on the offensive end.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
What does everyone think?

My guess is that it is going to be Quaresma. He's young, but I don't think he would be overwhelmed by the whole experience. Also, he would only be called upon in late game situations and would only have to contribute for a 1/2 hour. His speed and skills could be useful against a tired defense in the closing minutes of a game!

·
International
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could very well be Pen.

Quaresma fits nicely as Figo's understudy, but strategically he's overloading the right side and he doesn't have enough left footed power to balance it out. Dani would be a better pick.

I think Viana is out...since he was asked to contribute to the under 21 team.

Kennedy is also a very solid pick. He had a monster season culminating with a monster game against Benfica. Very solid right back.

Pila though I'm afraid is out. From my observations this past Sunday his game lacks pace, stamina, and most importantly vision. Like a stubborn, stumpy bull dog he refuses to let go of the ball at the opportune times.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
RedEagle said:

Pila though I'm afraid is out. From my observations this past Sunday his game lacks pace, stamina, and most importantly vision. Like a stubborn, stumpy bull dog he refuses to let go of the ball at the opportune times.
Wrong! Albeit, Pila struggled at times with his stamina, I suspect it had to do with the altitude in Elizabeth - there simply isn't enough oxygen at 30 feet above sea level. Yet, he managed to be the man of the match... his dominance of the right side, leaving defenders looking ofr Pila's lungs were brilliant, but only a brief flash of a younger Pila.

I'm waiting by the phone.

RING, RING, BABY!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I was going to vote for the legendary chorico but then I saw Viana on the list.

Why Viana? 'Cause it won't be Quaresma. Why would he put Quaresma in there when he hasn't given the youngster a single opportunity to prove himself at the 'AA' level.

So it only makes sense that Viana would be called up. He'll play in the under-21, and will also be called to the WC IMO.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First it's a surprise. Meaning that the player/players called probably didn't see much PT. Viana did and disappointed. Secondly you cannot play both the Under 21 and the World Cup at the same time. THe under 21 I believe will start right before the WC, and if you're going to the WC you need to spend 2-3 weeks preparing with your teamates.

I would call up Pila just to make sure Figo and Rui Costa aren't poisoned by the food.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
RedEagle said:

I would call up Pila just to make sure Figo and Rui Costa aren't poisoned by the food.
I'll take it!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
If it were up to me then Quaresma would get called up. He is explosive and that's something we only get from Figo and Sergio at times.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
COUTO 5 said:
For some reason , if fit .............i see Pedro Barbosa being called up , i dunno why
Don't worry about Barbosa. Since Simao injured himself, he's a lock for a spot.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Kennedy is not good enough for the national team . My guess would be on Makukula because we are very thin at strikers due to some injuries , out of form or not enough good talented strikers. I have seen him play a couple of times in the Spanish league . He has great talent and is a huge man ; stands tall around 6'2' but he also is pretty thick ; he would add muscle to our striker core , which we lack . Especially when we go up against a physical team like a Poland team.

Dani should go.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
COUTO 5 said:
For some reason , if fit .............i see Pedro Barbosa being called up , i dunno why
Yeah Barbosa and Capucho are locks on this team. However that takes care of the wings, as Rui's back up I would still take Dani.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I don't think Dani is a natural back-up for Rui. From what I understand, he's been playing much more on the left wing this season for Real. A poster in the Atletico forum made an observation about Dani that I thought was fantastic: Essentially his whole career, Dani has been a "tweener", meaning he couldn't decide whether he was a wing, a #10, or a striker. It seems as if he concentrating more on becoming a winger, ala Figo, and he is succeeding in that role.

Right now, Rui's backup would be some combination of Figo, Barbosa, and JVP. If Oliveira was intent on bringing a direct back-up for him, his only choice at this point would be Viana. Now, I agree his performances in the last couple of NT games have been weak, but if I recall correctly, he was playing wide left (Can someone confirm this?). Viana is not a true wide player; he is much more effective in the middle of the field where he can direct play.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I must say, though, that our most glaring need is a left-footed player. All our wingers are right-footed players who can adapt over to the left side (Figo, Barbosa). I did vote for Quaresma because I think Oliveira will pick him, but I would prefer if he called Kennedy or Dani instead.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You're right about the "tweener" role. And that's precisely why he should go. He has the flexibility and the ability to cover for all those positions plus he has a potent left foot. He's a much better finisher from the outside than JVP can ever dream of. He's fast, and he reads the game very well. HE can provide some nifty through balls.

On the negative side, his discipline and commitment remain a question mark. I think he has changed and matured, plus with Figo and Rui around ya really can't be too stupid.

It would be an excellent call up. As well as Kennedy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts