Votes: 55 75.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having a wager with a friend of mine.

Who do you think is the better player -- Ballack or Totti?

Please judge in terms of talent, influence, achievements, ability, and overall.

And it would be great if you were transparent in your judgement as well.

I would also be grateful if this was made into a poll... :lick:

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Way to go in comparing apples to oranges. In terms of those off the pitch factors, good luck trying to get a compromise from the fan boys that will show up in about thirty seconds.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Totti allways. Incredible player who is on the top loyal to his club.

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
I dont know but im sure i wouldnt want Ballack in my team in a Final.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Way to go in comparing apples to oranges. In terms of those off the pitch factors, good luck trying to get a compromise from the fan boys that will show up in about thirty seconds.
I understand what you are saying. It is a bit apple and orange bit. But there are some similarities as well. Both are categorized as an attacking midfielder but both really dont play best at that position. Neither is a classic playmaker and both struggle to play that role. Totti plays better as a second striker or up top while Ballack is better as a central midfielder with cover behind and creativity up top.

Therein lies the comparison i believe. now it is a matter of general consensus.

As they say, there is no right or wrong -- only popular opinion. :smileani:

·
1st Tier Poster
50,027 Posts
Totti has been the best player of this millenium in Serie A. Ballack has been one of the best in Bundesliga I guess but all in all it's Totti quite clearly IMO, both by ability and performances.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
I would take Ballack over Totti If I had to build a team.

·
Registered
66,826 Posts
Different players, but anybody with a a shred of knowledge about the game will tell you that Totti is twice the player that Ballack is. The only element of the game that Ballack surpasses Totti in is his tenacity and work rate. In terms of craftiness, technique, vision, and finishing, Totti surpasses Ballack.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Who is better - Van Nistelrooy or Xabi Alonso? Palermo or Daniel Alves? Arshavin or Puyol? Robinho or Pirlo? Schevchenko or Ribery? Vieira or Nedved? Evra or Eto'o? Snoopy or Sir Charles Barkley?

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Although Ballack has played more finals than Totti, Totti has a 100% efficiency and Ballack a 15%. :D

Michael Ballack

@ Bayer Leverkusen

DFB Cup 2002 - 2nd place
CL 2002 - 2nd place

@ Bayern München

DFB Cup 2003 - Champion
DFB Cup 2005 - Champion
DFB Cup 2006 - Champion

@ German NT

WC 2002 - 2nd place
EURO 2008 - 2nd place

Francesco Totti

@ AS Roma

Not sure the years, but he played two Italian Cup finalsI bealive against Inter and won them both.

@ Italian NT

WC 2006 - Champion

So as finals is concerned, Totti is better. But I do consider Ballack a more complete player. Totti is more offensive but Ballack can defend if needed. It depends also in what type of player you need, Ballack is a midfielder with assistances and key goals. Totti scores way much more and I consider him a striker, not a offensive midfielder.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Totti is not the kind of player to get things done at the big stage. He may have won a world cup, but he was not a key ingredient to that 2006 team, that was Pirlo, Canna, Gattuso, Grosso.

And we may as well remember his performance in other final tournaments. The spitting at Poulsen, the red card against Korea in 2002.

Granted Ballack is not the same passer that Totti is, I would still prefer him because in my opinion, he performs on the big stage. I believe that he is Germany and all their success is due largely to his work.

One issue I have with both players, but more Totti, is the diving. The guy dives a lot and Serie A referees call lots of fouls so he is personally responsible for the slow pace of any Roma vs. ____ match-up. Ballack exaggerates a foul sometimes, but the guy is a fighter and would not be flopping around like a fish out of water if he was not actually injured.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Although Ballack has played more finals than Totti, Totti has a 100% efficiency and Ballack a 15%. :D
And judging strictly by that rationale, Roque Junior is better than both Ballack AND Totti - as Roque won the Libertadores, Champions League, World Cup and the Copa America. :googly:

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
I m the only one voted for Ballack.... :depressed:

and then I realised that Totti has one vote too :howler:

·
Banned
5,292 Posts
Totti was miles better. If he had gone to Madrid or some huge team he'd have been WPOTY at least a few times. Nowadays he's better too.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Totti was miles better. If he had gone to Madrid or some huge team he'd have been WPOTY at least a few times. Nowadays he's better too.
So why didnt he go? Is it love for his club or fear of committing to another?

Personally i think as far as a pure player characteristics go, Totti has a lot more attributes than Ballack.

But has he ever used those attributes to the full?

What has he achieved in his career?

·
Administrator
52,992 Posts
Him staying in his home team shouldnt be a drawback even if he would have gotten more recognition.

What matters here is that Totti is clearly a level above Ballack, thats evident as heck if you see them both play. Doesnt mean Ballack isnt great though, but Totti is considerably better, there isnt much else to it.

·
Registered
45,390 Posts
Eh, Totti by a solar system.

I don't rate Ballack very highly at all. He's decent but nothing great.

·
A true hero
31,429 Posts
Totti, slightly. Both are all time great players and would go in a football hall of fame if there was one, though.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts