Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a lot of debate over who invented the sport. We know the UK have invented most sports such as rugby, snooker & tennis. However it is well disputed and thought to well documented that the ancient Greeks invented the sport. My knowledge on this is very little and the stuff I have read on it is bias towards the English.

Does anyone really know where the beautiful game was first invented?

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Yes, E - N - G - L - A - N - D !!

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Ingerland.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
I'm not an expert, but as far as I know, since the old civilizations as the Chinese one, many of them had a "sport" that consisted in kicking a ball following certain rules. But modern football was invented in England, when a university decided to change several rules of rugby: not touching the ball with the hands, using a round ball, making it as a sport with less contact,... I'm not sure, but I think it was something like this.

·
Registered
56,232 Posts
the french, they played with the head of nobles during the french revolution.

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Koeman4 said:
I'm not an expert, but as far as I know, since the old civilizations as the Chinese one, many of them had a "sport" that consisted in kicking a ball following certain rules. But modern football was invented in England, when a university decided to change several rules of rugby: not touching the ball with the hands, using a round ball, making it as a sport with less contact,... I'm not sure, but I think it was something like this.
:thmbup:

Heard that something similar to modern Football was played in Florence a few centuries ago.

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
Da quanto scritto nel nuovo volume della Enciclopedia Treccani dedicato allo sport, il calcio sarebbe stato inventato addirittura al tempo degli antichi romani.
Nel primo secolo dopo Cristo, i romani giocavano una versione con i piedi di un gioco greco, da loro ribattezzato "harpastum", la cui traduzione significa “afferrare”.
Il gioco si è svolto per la prima volta in Britannia, con l’utilizzo prima di palle fatte con erbe diverse e capelli, poi con i crani dei britanni macellati, che dovevano essere spinti entro le due linee che delimitavano un campo lungo più di 100 metri.
L’unica regola era quella di far rotolare la palla oltre le linea per segnare un punto.
no time for translate it:depress::D

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I seem to have read it were the Chinese who invented it. But I'm not completely sure about that.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
of course it was England as Koeman says, they all had a big meeting and decided on proper rules.

course other people in history kicked balls before but it's not we know football, unless someone in the West Indies invented it when he kicked a coconut into a fisherman's net.

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
of course it was England as Koeman says, they all had a big meeting and decided on proper rules.

course other people in history kicked balls before but it's not we know football, unless someone in the West Indies invented it when he kicked a coconut into a fisherman's net.
Agreed

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
We also had an old version in like the 16th Century where about 1000 people played for each team and the aim was to get the between two posts. IT was played on the streets during some sort of festival thing where the King would watch. The first team to score wins. They were allowed to use their hands too however. Ask Bastin, I'm sure he'll remember it.

~ The Green ;)ne

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
If they invented it, why do they suck at it so much? I think they stole it somewhere and made it so popular then claimed they invented it. We know how clever they are in twisting certain things to favour them

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
The Green One said:
We also had an old version in like the 16th Century where about 1000 people played for each team and the aim was to get the between two posts. IT was played on the streets during some sort of festival thing where the King would watch. The first team to score wins. They were allowed to use their hands too however. Ask Bastin, I'm sure he'll remember it.

~ The Green ;)ne
Bastin must really old by now.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Adriano10 said:
Bastin must really old by now.
Yes, but it's not important how old you are on parchment, it's how old you feel in the humours. ;)

Football was invented either in 1848 by the students of Cambridge University, or on 8th December 1863 when all the football clubs in England agreed to play by the rules laid down by the FA.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
calcio100 said:
If they invented it, why do they suck at it so much? I think they stole it somewhere and made it so popular then claimed they invented it. We know how clever they are in twisting certain things to favour them
So what if we're not too good at it now? The French invented Tennis and aren't too good at it. We invented cricket and we've improved recently, but until this year were pretty shocking. We invented rugby league and have just been hammered by the Kangaroos once again. Just because we invented a sport doesn't mean we should be the best. I'd like to give an example of Italy sucking at a sport they invented, but the country has not produced any worldwide sport. Is that a measure of the Italian intellect calcio?

~ The Green ;)ne

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
The Green One said:
So what if we're not too good at it now? The French invented Tennis and aren't too good at it. We invented cricket and we've improved recently, but until this year were pretty shocking. We invented rugby league and have just been hammered by the Kangaroos once again. Just because we invented a sport doesn't mean we should be the best. I'd like to give an example of Italy sucking at a sport they invented, but the country has not produced any worldwide sport. Is that a measure of the Italian intellect calcio?
~ The Green ;)ne
Could be. They claim they are good in football but they have only one wc in modern times. Only football super power which plays chicken football - pack 10 players behind the ball even if the opponent is S.Korea

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
As I said, England invented football.

Who mastered it?

The Brazilians, of course.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts