Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides the US National team, I will be supporting the Seleção of Brasil in the upcoming World Cup. I will also be following with interest the progress of the Nazionale of Italia.

What other country or countries, besides the United States, will you be supporting or following in WC 2002?

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Well Tim...I used to respect you but now I don't.....:D The country I will be following most closely is the country of my parents....Croatia, which happens to be in Italy's group...;)

The other countries two countries which I will follow are Cameroon and Germany. I fell in love with Cameroon in 1990 during that World Cup. They were one of only 2 or 3 teams in Italia 1990 that actually played to win rather than slow the games down by constantly passing it back to the goalie like was so fashionalbe back then...it cost them the quarterfinal game against England when they had a two goal lead and kept attacking and became vulnerable to the counter attack, but, my hat went off to them because they played soccer like it was meant to be back then.

As for Germany...I love to German style of play. The overlapping runs their back make and just the nature of their game.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Well, my knowledge of the international game pales in comparison to the rest of you, but I have soft spot in my heart for England.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
China
Portugal
Italy
Argentina

·
Registered
674 Posts
Guys,

How about our CONCAF buddies, the TICOS? They play hard, represent our federation and are from a small underdeveloped country. I've had numerous Costa Rican friends over the years. Their fans were great, polite and good sports at the Kansas City qualifier last summer. Welcomed to good post-game parking lot parties even though they lost, while waiting for traffic to clear.

JureM's loyalty and the play they have shown earns my affection for the CROATIANS. Bokstic, however, had better watch his attitude or opposing players are going to make hime eat it. Maybe he can back it up!

IRELAND, more than ever since they booted Keane. It would be great for the laddies of the second tier to show they are more than a one man act.

ENGLAND, the home of such great soccer over the years, it would be good if they emerged once more as a true power based on performance, not history.

HOLLAND, whoops! (Doesn't seem possible, does it?)

I will be definitely pulling against 2 teams: Mexico and Poland. It would be OK if they didn't score a goal!

Oldplayer

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
See Tim...that is exactly why I love Oldplayer....:D One smart man!!!:D :D

I also loike to watch the Irish play because they always give 110% in every game. While they are not the most stylish team out there, they have heart and a will to win. You rarely see and Irish team win or lose by more than 2 goals. Plus, you have to respect a coach that booted the best player off the team, because that proves that no one is above the team....other coaches would not even think of it, yet McCarthy did...

·
Registered
674 Posts
JureM, I've noticed over the years that people who think like me and who might like me, are always high on my A-list! You're right there for now, buddy!

Really, though, it's not hard to like the Croats for their style of ball, their '98 effort and the cool old tech looking uniforms they wear. Those checkerboard jersies are way cool!

Oldplayer

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Even though I am a Croatian-American, what I love most about the Croatian NT jersey is that it stands out and it is something unique. When you see that jersey you automatically know who it is...just like the blue and white stripes of Argentina for example.

You know what they say about great minds Old....:D

·
Registered
674 Posts
Tim,

Don't bother asking Doc about other teams. I think he says that it's just best to go with who brung ya' and to heck with the rest! Not mean spirited exactly, but he knows loyalty. I like that attitude!

PAulMay: See the Latest GQ magazine with its cover and main article on Beck. Wild pics and an article on Ludjberg, too. I had to stand and read it at Hastings. Didn't want to be seen buying the rag. Plus it was $8.99! Nonetheless, look at one if you get the chance. Beckham is pretty candid.

OSF, how about you?

Where's 'Lil?

We need to get in touch with Goalie-O. OSF, his dad's not doing well with the big-C and it is taking all his time and interest. Nonetheless, it's World Cup Time!

JureM, besides the tablecloths of the Croats, I started to mention the beach towels of Argentina, too. Instantly recognizable and classy whether you pull for them or not!

BUT, if the US Nats win it all, I'll love their new high-tech Nike (crap) gear and never want them to wear anything else ever again!:howler: :D

Oldplayer

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pardon, JureM, but I did not hear you the first time around. What did you say? Sounded like a "Forza Italia!" to me! :D ;)

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:howler:

As for Croatia, it is too bad that Zvone is not playing.. :depress: :(

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Boban was a class act but injuries have taken a toll on his body and he retired from the NT and soccer all together. Our biggest loss though was the loss of Igor Tudor to ankle surgery. He is considered one of the best defenders in the world...that is a tough loss.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Sorry OP havent read the GQ mag. Not on my reading list. If it doesnt have a football on the cover I dont go there. I'll try and borrow OSF"S copy.;)

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
I will be cheering for Turkey and I will be cheering for Argentina, a very exciting and talented team. Besides, I have to cheer for one serious contender right;)?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts