Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you could buy one player for Leeds, who would it be?? Who or what position does Leeds need most?

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I don't think we really need anybody but I think we would like some players. They would really boost the club. I would LOVE to see Totti playing for Leeds. Kewell and Totti would make the best attacking-mid pair!:tongue:

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Leeds plays fast, strong football down the wings, so I think someone like Figo would do well at leeds. We're well covered in the striking and defending department, but Nedved, Figo or maybe Guardiola would be nice.
Should I rename this to the dream on thread??:D

·
Legend
12,328 Posts
Buying Totti wouldn´t make any sense at all.He´s arguable the best playmaker in the world,but does Leeds use a playmaker? No! Only Man Utd among the big teams in the EPL uses a playmaker,and then Veron isn´t even the same type of playmaker that Totti is.Veron is a lot more defensive and that´s why it works with their system.Our system is two offensive wingers and two defensive central midfielders.That´s why buying Totti means we have to switch the system and it´s both unrealistic and not particulary needed.To be the only team to use a number 10 playmaker would be taking a chance.Totti would find it very hard to make it in the EPL as the opponents would put a marker on him right away.
Let´s stick to the tactics that the EPL uses and especially Leeds and build a team around that. :)

So to the actual topic then......

What Leeds need isn´t any starters nor superstars.They need some bench players for the midfield position,especially the winger position.Two new players that can replace Kewell and Bowyer in a very good way.So we basically need one right winger and one left winger and both has to be willing to sit on the bench.It´s not that easy to find those players,but the replacement I could think of when it comes to Bowyer and when he is missing is Ray Parlour.There we have a good player that probably wouldn´t mind being benched and replace Bowyer when needed.
The left wing position isn´t such a big crise as the right wing position since we already have Jason Wilcox that is able to be played at that position when Kewell is missing.However,if I could choose I would rather see someone else there.But who then? Well,I don´t really know. :undecide:
The one player I would like to see us buy is Bojan Djordjic from Man Utd.A very young extremly talented left winger,that is a very good passer.He also would get a lot more matches with us than he has ever get with Man Utd.

But that´s just one name I could think of now......But the point is that we need two benched wingers.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Buying Totti wouldn´t make any sense at all.He´s arguable the best playmaker in the world,but does Leeds use a playmaker? No! Only Man Utd among the big teams in the EPL uses a playmaker,and then Veron isn´t even the same type of playmaker that Totti is.Veron is a lot more defensive and that´s why it works with their system.Our system is two offensive wingers and two defensive central midfielders.That´s why buying Totti means we have to switch the system and it´s both unrealistic and not particulary needed.To be the only team to use a number 10 playmaker would be taking a chance.Totti would find it very hard to make it in the EPL as the opponents would put a marker on him right away.
I'm sorry I mentioned him...:depress: :( :depress:

I didn't say we needed him, I said we would like him... He would be useful...

·
Legend
12,328 Posts
Dude,you´r not supposed to apologise for mentioning a player that you think that we would need.You ARE supposed to argue against me and we can carry on a debate. ;)
Apologising makes no sense,since you are entitled to your own opinion,but I argued against that opinion,just as much as you are free to argue against my choices. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lets be realistic, there is no point even mentioning names like Totti and Figo because not only are they out of our clubs price range, it would also take an awful lot to tempt them away from their current clubs and to Yorkshire.

O'Leary likes them young, ambitious and British. The two positions that I believe are not adequately taken care of at this stage are right wing, and central midfield.

Lee Bowyer is a fantastic player, but he offers us no width. And on many occassions our central midfield pairing whilst hardworking and committed, has been bereft of ideas and has offered our attack little service.

My choice, and the player which I think O'Leary may be looking at, is Kieron Dyer. He is a fantastic natural winger with pace, energy and an eye for goal.

Suited to our current midfield weakness, he is an inventive and exciting player, who can play virtually any attacking role.

He will be pricey at around 20m, so if Leeds aren't willing to spend that sort of money I guess the next best option is Brett Emerton. He is a good enough player with bags of skill, albeit not in the same class as Dyer
(who I believe is the 2nd best midfielder in Britain.)

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Dude,you´r not supposed to apologise for mentioning a player that you think that we would need.You ARE supposed to argue against me and we can carry on a debate.
Don't worry Mate, I was just being a dic*khead!:tongue:

Allright, I think Totti would fit in well. Not only would he be alot like kewell but with two of em' we would rip defences apart more so than we do now. I don't think we really need Totti but if it came around that we could have him, which wont happen, we would take him and he would be a first team starter. We don't really have a play maker like Veron and I think it would be a good test to see how Leeds handle with one. Maybey good, maybey bad!

Ray Parlour wouldn't join Leeds as a Bowyer replacement, he needs 1st team playing or he would go down hill.

But that´s just one name I could think of now......But the point is that we need two benched wingers.
Good point, but we can't just take players like Parlour off the 1st team action and bench them until Bowyer of Kewell is injured. I think a first Div team would be a gold mine for replcement wingers or even the 2nd Div. Maybe a loan is in order and then maybey a purchse if the player lives up to the standards.

·
Legend
12,328 Posts
But as I said earlier,Veron and Totti aren´t the same type of playmakers.Veron is more of the defensive playmaker with huge offensive skills and is able to lead a full midfield.Totti on the other hand is what we Serie A fans call a number 10 playmaker.That´s the kind of playmaker that lies just behind the two strikers.These playmakers usually play in a 3-4-1-2 formation,as you also know that Roma play with when they have a fit squad.Totti´s defensive skills ísn´t that good either,and since it´s a lot about physical play in the EPL,he would get eaten up by likes of Keane,Gerrard whoever.We would have to switch to a diamond midfield with him in the team.That means only one defensive midfielder,and that would be Dacourt.The problem with Dacourt is that he isn´t like Batty that can play as a full ballwinner.He has to have the ball also.

Since we also uses wingers that likes to go central,it means that our flanks would be extremly vulnerable in the defensive work with such a formation.Both Kewell and especially Bowyer is very central positioned at times,and on the left flank Harte isn´t very pacey so he would have difficulties to cover up for Kewell when he´s on an offensive run in the central.That´s why we are using two defensive central midfielders that is capable of covering up on the flanks when problem arrives there,hence why Dacourt spends a lot of time defending on the left flank.

Totti just as Zidane needs two defensive midfielders behind him.Since the EPL never uses a back three,it means a 4 men midfield and a diamond.Then he doesn´t get two defensive midfielders behind him and he gets forced to do some defensive work.Well,I doubt he would do much since he isn´t that kind of player that makes defensive runs and tackles.So buying Totti means we would play with 5 offensive minded players where only Bowyer is the one that is good defensively also,and then 5 defensive players and two of them is offensive fullbacks.Would it work? I don´t think so_Our defensive would suffer extremly much,and we can´t count on Kewell and Totti to create 6 goals in every match for us. :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
I think Leeds need a organizer, just like Rui Costa.

But take the actuallity into account, Effenberg maybe will good.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
That would be a good start mate. I think b4 we ask for other players we should ask for our own 1st!:tongue: We really need our team back to full strength or I don't know about out title chances...:mad:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts