Xtratime Community banner

Who do you want to coach Athletic next season?

• Mané (no club)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, we're almost at the end of the season, it's time to look forward a bit.

Please vote for your favourite Athletic coach for next season and explain why. We discussed it before in another topic but for my feelings it's again a hot topic :).

·
Registered
947 Posts
I have chosen Jupp Heynkes, because he is succesful, he knows Athletic and I think he will come along well with the players (something I really doubt with Bielsa!).

But I also like Ziganda.. because he carries Athletic in his heart. The only reason why I prefer Heynkes to Ziganda is, that Heynkes knows how to train a Primera club, Ziganda is a quite new trainer and his club plays Segunda B...

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Ziganda led Osasuna to Europa League semifinals, he's not a noone in Primera. Heynckes is the guy who signed Javi Martínez from Athletic, knowing what that means in terms to our competivity.

I think we should let the project continue with Marcelo.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Ziganda led Osasuna to Europa League semifinals, he's not a noone in Primera.
Ops, did not know that to be honest (I usually don't really follow other teams). When was that?

Heynckes is the guy who signed Javi Martínez from Athletic, knowing what that means in terms to our competivity.
Totally agree here, that was the reason why I hated him and did not ever want him back in Bilbao... but... by now as Bielsa really sucks for me... and Heynkes is so succesfull... hm.. :/
But as I see that Ziganda also has knowledge in training a Primera club succesfull.. I want him, because.. like I mentioned earlier, he carries Athletic in his heart.

I think we should let the project continue with Marcelo.
No. Just... no. :/

·
Registered
704 Posts
Heynckes is the guy who signed Javi Martínez from Athletic, knowing what that means in terms to our competivity.

I think this is a poor reason for rejecting Heynckes to be the next manager If Uli Hoeness and Bayern finally put up the money (while not exactly shutting up about it), the only person to blame is Javimar, and not a manager looking to win a Champions League by bringing in a world class midfielder.

No manager in professional football would turn down that choice.

Look at Pep. You'd think he'd understand the importance of growing up from a young age with as club, but his first signing is Mario Gotze from Dortmund.

Not having extra European games, and a fresh start for many at the club next season would be the perfect situation for the players and club.

I love Bielsa, but his methods should not overtake the importance of keeping the best players in the best form. We won't die if he continues, but I wouldn't be expecting more than a boring Europa League place.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Still undecided. I love Bielsa as a person, he does really represent Athletic in the best possible way regarding values, but as a coach he's been way too stubborn and not flexible enough - if the opponnent sees through Athletic's style of play, he's rarely able to react and surprise and also I would have appreciated if he tried to incorporate more players from BA, seeing how brilliant season they had compared to A team, lack of rotation cost us a decent finish in his first season. Also agree with Lucie and her doubts about Bielsa's relationship with players.

Ziganda should perhaps continue his mission for one more year, having done so well thus far. Still not sure if Valverde or Heynckes, I rate both highly. That being said, I wouldn't mind if any of these four were to coach Athletic next year.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Ziganda should perhaps continue his mission for one more year, having done so well thus far. Still not sure if Valverde or Heynckes, I rate both highly. That being said, I wouldn't mind if any of these four were to coach Athletic next year.
This sums up my ideas too.

Ziganda led Osasuna to Europa League semifinals, he's not a noone in Primera
Although he only managed to save the team in the 07/08 league, no?

About Bielsa, I'm not only sure if he can change the morale in the dressing rooms. An unexpected qualification in the Europa League though could makes things easier. But still not sure.

I really wouldn't have any problem who will be our next manager.

·
Registered
736 Posts
also I would have appreciated if he tried to incorporate more players from BA
After all, I would say he has introduced Ibai, de Marcos, Iturraspe, Aurtenetxe, Ekiza, Laporte to regular first team football, and has also played Ruiz de Galarreta and Ramalho quite a lot. Quite some players in a young team with San Jose, Muniain, Herrera, Susaeta (well, he isn't that young anymore, but he doesn't look like Urzaiz yet:))

We have had a quite a young team, started with Caparros, but Bielsa took it a step further. I am not a fan of all-attack football or Bielsa, but Bielsa is good at introducing young players.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I agree with Iribar that the club should try and extend El Loco. However, Bielsa just recently said that the team has yet to contact him with regards to an extension.

I believe in continuity and I think that if we were to allow Martxelo to become the "Arsene Wenger of Spain", and by that I mean allowing him to build something over a longer period of time, that we would eventually see more and more positive results.

Has he been stubborn? Sure. Does he repeat the same mistakes? Yes. Normally I hate that, and at times I am upset at his tactics and lack of flexibility too, but make no mistake that when the team is following Marcelo's orders and giving him exactly what he wants, there is no better choice to lead this team. Not to mention Marcelo has been nothing but a class act since he's been here.

I don't want to judge too many people for this past season we just had. With the unexpected loss of Javi before the start of the season, fresh off two cup losses, and with Benedict Llorente/Amorebieta playing their childish mind games it was obvious that the team's morale was hampered and that they could not focus on achieving the goals they set out for this season. Still, the future looks bright as the team is brimming with young, coveted talent.

Not only that, but if we actually throw Bielsa a bone and go out and get Benat, Balenziaga, Kike Sola, and Etxeita instead of just sitting on our hands and money in the summer, I'd almost guarantee that we'd be back in the European picture. Benat is the key, as in my mind he'd be the perfect option for Bielsa at the CDM position that San Jose/Iturraspe/Gurpegi have occupied this season. It's a very tough position to play but I think Benat could actually thrive in it. Adding Etxeita gives the club 3 very solid options in the center of defense going forward in Ekiza, Laporte, and Etxeita. Kike Sola would no doubt produce more than Llorente has this season, and might be able to help out Aduriz who might not be able to duplicate this season's form next year. Balenziaga gives the club another solid option at LB, which is needed after Aurtenetxe's poor form this season and with Enric Saborit still yet to break through to the first team.

However, at the end of the day, I just don't think that the board and Urrutia will be able to overlook the incidents at the training ground from last summer. Which is friggin awful and pathetic because Bielsa was actually the one protecting and standing up for the club. Something smells fishy behind the scenes at Athletic. If it were up to me, I'd replace Urrutia with Bielsa entirely and allow Marcelo full control of the project as Club President and Manager, although I know no one would be up for that haha :smileani:

Like others have said though, I'd really be okay with any of the options provided in this poll. My choice is Bielsa but I wouldn't mind giving Ziganda a shot. Jupp is probaby impossible now after Bayern won the Champions League, and Valverde has always shown himself to be a class manager wherever he's gone. So I could live with any of these guys though.

For some reason though, I think we'll regret it if Bielsa walks. You just know that he'd go to one of the bigger clubs in Europe and have success. Hopefully there is still a way to keep him but I just don't see it happening.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Bielsa?...are you guys insane.

His brand of football has run its course.The other 19 teams in the division understand our game plan more than our players do.

We only play the same style and are so predictable.Even MB himself referred to "staying true to our game".

In other words if it doesn't work the blueprint won't be changed.There was one game where we had AA and FL on at the end of the game together and still were passing short from the back despite these two billdozing CF's..nonsense.

The man is of the highest integrity and I admire him greatly but this season has been a disaster and it is time for a change.

We need to keep Ander in the Summer.

Anyhow,I would easily prefer Heynkes to Ziganda..complete no brainer.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'll go with giving Bielsa a third season, although at this point it seems very unlikely. He had a good first season, and this season was ruined from the start. The three top players leaving the club in different ways, training ground not ready etc. Doubt any coach could have created harmony under those conditions...

Runner up: Cuco Ziganda deserves a chance as well. Maybe next season. Might not be a bad time promoting the BA-coach when Llorente, Amorebieta and Javi Martínez shoes need to be filled.

Honestly though, I'd be quite happy with Valverde or any other name on the list. All good choices. (Just as long as Clemente keeps away!)

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How funny the majority of the people on here wants to stick with Bielsa :D.

Despite that it seems Heynckes is officially out of the running as he's taking a sabbatical year, or perhaps a permanent retirement.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Urrutia has confirmed Bielsa wont be offered contract renewal (yay tarquin!)

Heynckes will have an year off, so I guess the final battle is Valverde vs Ziganda?

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not yet confirmed I guess? But indeed, Valverde will be the worst option to bet on at the bookies.

·
LosCheJon
5,131 Posts
What are you're thoughts on Valverde then guys?

As a Valencia supporter I was hugely impressed with what he did last season and from where Pellegrino left us (both in respect of points and squad confidence) EV was a huge success and really seemed to galvanise the squad.

I have high hopes for Djukic and he did a great job at Valladolid but I was so impressed with Valverde last season.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts