Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we all know Brazil,Holland,Italy,England and Argentina are the sort of names that get thrown around when we talk about who are the WC big boys but there is always a side that comes from nowhere to send shivers up the spines of the 'old gaurd'!!

Last time out there was Senegal,USA,Turkey and of course the wonderful South Korea but which country from this years tournament will be the 2006 WC dark horses the team that does a lot better than the so-called experts predict??

For me I think that Croatia will be a big surprise just like in 1998 when they finished third an unbelievable achievement for such a small nation who only joined FIFA in 1992.When they beat Germany in the 1/4's I honestly thought at the time they'd win the tournament.

This time they do not have the 'star' players such as the likes of Prosinecki and Suker but they are just as strong as a unit if not stronger and with the added bonus of having a few of their squad who play in Germany they stand a very good chance of getting to at least the last four.

Could they win it well I don't know Brazil look unbeatable so do Italy but they way the WC has been throwing up surprisies in the last few tournaments you'd never know.

So for me it's Croatia this years WC dark horses!!!

Your thoughts??

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
boroboro said:
Last time out there was Senegal,USA,Turkey and of course the wonderful South Korea but which country from this years tournament will be the 2006 WC dark horses the team that does a lot better than the so-called experts predict??

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
I think it will be Ukraine.

Seeing how they qualified, their style follows a very similiar pattern to how Greece were playing right throughout Euro2004. Shevcheno will single-handedly send them to the quarter-finals at the very least. My gut feel is very strong.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Great Outdoors said:
I think it will be Ukraine.

Seeing how they qualified, their style follows a very similiar pattern to how Greece were playing right throughout Euro2004. Shevcheno will single-handedly send them to the quarter-finals at the very least. My gut feel is very strong.
I think the same, no other team has that true dark horse potential.

·
Registered
36,109 Posts
Ukraine after failing to qualify for anything in the last 15 years?

No experience = early exit

·
Registered
36,109 Posts
I know what's coming, czech rep and croatia, but the Ukraine really doesn't have such strong individuals IMO.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Ero said:
I know what's coming, czech rep and croatia, but the Ukraine really doesn't have such strong individuals IMO.
They've got a world class individual in Shevchenko. We have seen how one player can single-handedly carry an NT through to the latter stages of a World Cup tournament; Sheva has a very real potential to do just that. It's his first (and very possibly his last) major tournament for his NT and I'm positive that, at the very least, he will leave an impression in the competition.

·
Registered
36,109 Posts
maybe, he is class..but I doubt they'll make an impression.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Ukraine definitely are a chance to get out of the group. Saudi Arabia is one they should win then it's probably 50/50 against Tunisia. When you're at the second round anything can happen it seems. Whether there is enoguh support for Shevchenko is the obvious question.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I think Australia in the fact that they'll progress further than the group stages and could possibly make the QF. People doubt us, but we've got a deceptive list that could go places...and equally crumble :)

·
Registered
36,109 Posts
If Aussie crumbles, they'll get smashed. If they play like they did against Uruguay, they will not exit the group.

If they play above and beyond capabilities, they can surprise...

·
Registered
36,109 Posts
yeah sorry, Australia is favourites over Japan and Croatia to qualify :rolleyes:

are you serious?

·
Registered
36,109 Posts
you assumed that the only reason we are of the opinion that Australia will not advance is because we're Croatian, not because Australia is a mediocre team at best :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Awesom-O said:
Isn't Australia like Croatia's back-up C-Team? :nasty:
Talk all you want. If any team will dissapoint, it will be Croatia. They simply don't have the talent and depth they had in 98, and will be relying on their history and reputation to make it through the group stages. Of course, history and reputation will mean feck all when it comes down to it. :howler: Hugely overrated.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts