Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok...I am NOT asking for your modern legends XI.

We've had too many "XI this" and "XI that" threads.

What I am asking you is, from the last 10-15 years, who has been the best player in every categorical position?

I mean, in each position, who has been that one player who has stood out for you? The one that you will tell your children about as soon as they are old enough to understand? The one that, at his peak, took your breath away.

Here is my take....

Goalkeeper:

Peter Schmeichel- Absolutely incredible career, I lost count how many Premiership titles he has won and to end his career with the treble is just what the man deserved. His FA Cup semi-final replay performance against Arsenal at Villa Park was one of the most heroic performances I have ever seen.

Defender:

Paolo Maldini- What can you say about the man? 4 European Cups, 4 Uefa Cups, seven-time Serie A champion, the only disappointment he has had in his career is at International Level with Italy. One of the best professionals to ever play the game. I also love the fact he has always stayed committed to the Milan cause despite temptations from elsewhere. I have a lot of respect and time for people like that, and to still go strong in his mid 30's just goes to show what a professional he is.

Midfielder (defensive):

Fernando Redondo- Im actually writing an article reflecting on his career which I will post soon on the Real Madrid XT forum, so you can read on there how I feel about him. I will post it next week.

Midfielder (attacking):

Zinedine Zidane- The french maestro has won everything there is to win and was the best player in the World for three years in a row at his peak. The critics can hate all they want about his tendency to pick and choose which games he wants to show up in, but does it matter when he shows up when it matters?! The guy has done it time and time again on the biggest stages and on his day he is still the most influential player in the World IMO. He is also responsible for the one sickest play I have ever witnessed in football on all platforms, I honestly thought nobody in their right mind could conjure that one up. It's going to live in my memory forever.

Striker:

Ronaldo- There is no doubt about it, Ronaldo at his peak was not from this planet. Right from his PSV days to his Barca days to his Brazil under-23 performances and his first season with Inter, the man was simply a machine. Ex-Barca coach Bobby Robson once said; "If Ronaldo didn't have knee ligament problems, we are talking about the greatest player to ever play the game. Take it from me." For those of us who were lucky enough to see the man play at his peak, and not forgetting he was only 20-22 years old at the time, Sir Bobby's comments do not come as a surprise. Even as a Real Madrid fan, tuning in to watch Barcelona in the 96/97 season was often my highlight of the week. The way he came back from injury to destroy the last World Cup (how much did Brazil suck without him?!) was also incredible and is the exact sort of accomplishment legends are made of. Despite all his problems with injuries and weight, he is still the best striker in the World for many, many people- which speaks volumes.

·
Registered
867 Posts
-----------------Buffon
---Zambrotta--Nesta--Baresi--Maldini
--L.Figo--------Deschamps-------Zidane
----------------Maradona
---------Van Basten---A.Del Piero

·
Registered
867 Posts
oh, sorry.

Goalkepper : A tie between Scmeichel and Buffon, but I prefer Buffon fot the obvius reasons

Defender: Maldini

Midlfielder: Maradona, he was still playing 15 years ago, second choice is Zidane

Attacker: Marco Van basten was the best and Ronaldo together with Del Piero second best.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But Maradonna wasn't at his peak 15 years ago, he wasn't all that back in 89.

Nice choices though. :thmbup:

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I won't be telling my children about player's from other teams. I'll be concentrating on my own team, like most people I would think. In that case, i'll be telling them about;

Goalkeeper: Andy Goram. Despite his lack of aerodynamacy he was one of the best shot-stoppers in the game, hence the nickname 'The Flying Pig'. Former Celtic manager Tommy Burns once said that his tombstone would read, "Andy Goram broke my heart".

Defender: Richard Gough. Captained Rangers to most of the 9 in a row sequence and always led by example. He has the scars to prove it. Became Rangers first £1 million player in 1987 and proved to be one of Graeme Souness' best buys (wouldn't be hard, I know).

Midfield: Paul Gascoigne. At his best, a genuinely world-class midfielder. Joined Rangers when many believed he was finished at the top level. A sensational season where he, almost single-handedly, led Rangers to their eighth championship in a row, culminated in some terrific performances at Euro '96. His midfield vision and playmaking skills have never really been replaced adequately at Rangers or England.

Striker: Ally McCoist. Super Ally scored 355 goals in 581 appearances, winning two European Golden Boots in the process. Primarily a goal-poacher, Coisty always seemed to be in the right place at the right time. He was also capable of scoring some stunning goals. One of his best was in the 1993 League Cup Final against Hibernian, where he made his comeback as a substitute after breaking his leg. He came off the bench with the scores tied 1-1 to score a stunning overhead kick, which led to manager Walter Smith describing him as a "jammy [email protected]".

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
El Fenómeno. said:
Ok...I am NOT
Defender:

Paolo Maldini- What can you say about the man? 4 European Cups, 4 Uefa Cups, seven-time Serie A champion,
Is that really true? Maldini have not won 4 Uefa cups now, have he?

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
GK: MICHEL PREUD'HOMME... Keeper of the year 94, enough said!

DF: PHILIPPE ALBERT... With his impressive stature, the Rock from the Belgian Ardennes, or the Bull of Bouillon (whichever you like best), was someone you wouldn't want to mess up with (he can boast a galore of red cards)... Played at Charleroi and Anderlecht (a Belgian Golden Boot winner) before moving to the Premier League after a succesful (on a personnal perspective solely) WC94 with Belgium... I think the Magpies have kept fond memories of this classy, skillful and dedicated centre-half, if only for that famous delicate lob over Schmeichel... I love this guy!

MF: ENZO SCIFO... Played for Inter, Bordeaux, Auxerre, Torino, Monaco, Anderlecht. He was voted second best player of Italia 90, behind Lothar Matthaüs! The most gifted Belgian player of his generation!

FW: LUC NILIS... Misunderstood artist to some, recurrent flop to others, Lucky Luke never was, well, lucky with the NT scoring quite few when compared to his number of caps. But he was undisputedly a real hit for Anderlecht and PSV where he won the MVP of the season award and helped break the 100 goals mark for PSV among other achievements. Had an exquisite technique.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hasuni said:
Is that really true? Maldini have not won 4 Uefa cups now, have he?
Hey Hasuni. :smileani:

I am sure he has won 4 Uefa cups.

Any Milan/Maldini fan willing to clear up the confusion?

·
Registered
164 Posts
GK: VD Sar: so many good memories of him @ Ajax and the Dutch NT

DEF: Baresi: even when he still was playing, he already was a legend

MID: Monsieur Zizou. first post explaines perfectly

ATT: Ronaldo " " " "

·
Registered
164 Posts
Steph! said:
FW: LUC NILIS... Misunderstood artist to some, recurrent flop to others, Lucky Luke never was, well, lucky with the NT scoring quite few when compared to his number of caps. But he was undisputedly a real hit for Anderlecht and PSV where he won the MVP of the season award and helped break the 100 goals mark for PSV among other achievements. Had an exquisite technique.
Yup, Nilis was a fantastic player, really lethal in combination with RVN.

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Goalkeeper: Ronaldo from Corinthians - Never seen someone fihgt for his club like him. the personification of Corinthians!:)

Defender: Gamarra - after Baresi, the best defender I saw play at his peak. Best defender of the 98 WC.... enough said :)

Midfield: er.....er....... I'd go back and talk about Zico who played until 89. The best midfielder I saw play in my life. The complete #10. Vision, goalscroing vision, modesty, leader, perfect free kicks, simply breath taking. Flamengo's history resumes to before and after Zico..... and we are talking about Flamengo here... not some crappy club!

Attack: The one and only ROMARIO :) - Best finisher I have seen play. The guy could dribble in a space of 1 cm and he would create 10 meters just by making one movement off the ball. His positioning was always second to none. Always when you saw him play, you learned a new thing with him. Perfect off the field attitude for a footballer! :) :finger: :thmbup: :proud: :proud:

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Goalkeeper : David 'Spunky' Seaman

fantastic keeper, brilliant reactions, incredibly composed and gave a sense of security to the defence, also had a smahing hairstyle and natty 'tache that attracted the ladies. :)

Defender : Tony Adams

brilliant reader and fantastic leader, not the best on the ball but he ran the whole defence and midfield as tight as can be, basically won the CWC with his organisation against much more talented sides, had the worst midfield in Arsenal's history in front of him and he still did this, he also was a good laugh down the pub with his party piece of falling head first down the stairs. :proud:

Midfielder : Patrick 'le grande saucisse' Vieira

an unstoppable force when he was younger, a complete bully of the midfield but with classy dribbling skills to boot, an absolute lunatic at these times he has to change his game to stop getting sent off, still absolutely dominant though but has curbed his forward charges which were the greatest sight in football, also gobbed all over the scummy slag Ruddock which earns him bonus points. :thmbup:

Attacker : Dennis 'the Iceman' Bergkamp

best player in the world in 1998 bar none, only the judges for Golden Ball and FIFA didn't think, an absolute master of the first touch, a passmaster and with the match, also a fabulous long range shooter, still going strong at almost 36 and a Gentleman off the pitch as well, now if only he'd get on a plane. :googly:

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
Attacker : Dennis 'the Iceman' Bergkamp

best player in the world in 1998 bar none, only the judges for Golden Ball and FIFA didn't think
You mind if I don't agree? ;)

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Keeper: Schmeichel... best keeper ever.

Defender: I know I should propably say Baresi or Maldini considering overall legacy, but Alessandro Nesta is just so damn elegant!

Midfielder, defensive: The Prince. Redondo is the best def. mid I was when he was at his peak, although Rijkaard was close.

Midfielder, attacking: Diego Maradona. Best player I've ever seen.

Striker: Romario/Van Basten. Cannot separate the two in terms of class, although they're hugely different in terms of styles of course.

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
El Fenómeno. said:

I'm not a Milan fan (God forbid!) but I clear this up for you: Maldini has no UEFA Cup under his belt, let alone 4.

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
El Fenómeno. said:

Maldini just like Milan has yet to win the UEFA Cup, the only trophy missing in San Paolo's and Milan's trophy cabinet. :stress: So far, Paolo has had to settle :embarass: for just 4 Champions Cup/Leagues, 2 Intercontinental Cups and 7 Scudetti among other titles...;)

Cheers.;)

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Steph! said:
I'm not a Milan fan (God forbid!) but I clear this up for you: Maldini has no UEFA Cup under his belt, let alone 4.
Oh sorry, he has won 4 Uefa *super* Cups.

Big difference!

Sorry.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Zetti
Baresi
Zico>Rai
Romario

1 - 20 of 92 Posts