Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Havana, Istanbul, Leipzig, London, New York, Madrid, Moscow, Paris and Rio de Janeiro applied.

The official candidate cities are going to be chosen in May if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
kicker said:
Havana, Istanbul, Leipzig, London, New York, Madrid, Moscow, Paris and Rio de Janeiro applied.

The official candidate cities are going to be chosen in May if I'm not mistaken.
how many will be left then, 5?

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
9 cities are some too much....

In these minutes the executive comitee of the IOC decides in Lausanne which cities are out of the race today. It is not clear how many will be left over after the decision. I really hope Leipzig will be one of the remaining cities for the host of the 2012 Olympic games. Would be so nice to see the Olympic Games taking place in Germany! 1936 and 1972 are ages ago, I even was not born or planned then.

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
I follow the decision in the net at the moment. Everything still behind closed doors, but its rumored that the list will be reduced to 5 cities and Moskau will be in and Leipzig out.
The decision will be made by 10 members of the executive, the members of the countries which want to host the games are not allowed to take part. IOC-Chief Jacques Rogge will also not decide.
There is already a ranking about which city is how good to host the games. This ranking contains points for the cities given in 10 different categories (in each category points from 1-10) . Categories are for example locations for the athlets or infrastructure. Only the IOC -members know this ranking. And today they decide how many cities should be left over for the final decision.
The so-called experts have Paris as favourite. Havanna, Moskau and also Leipzig are not sure candidates.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
i really hope we will host the olympics this time
last time we had the summer olympics was in 1924 :(
i bet the toughest opponent will be london.

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
marmotte said:
i really hope we will host the olympics this time
last time we had the summer olympics was in 1924 :(
i bet the toughest opponent will be london.
But France had the worldcup in Football in 1998 whereas England had their last big event in 1966! I think Leipzig had no chance against the big cities. And maybe it also played a role that Germany hosts the WC 2006 only 6 years before.
For me the big favourite is New York. The mighty, mighty Americans.... And.... September 11th!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
well england had euro '96 :eek: ;)
but anyway you can't compare WC with the olympics.
i don't think new york will have it: LA '84, atlanta '96, salt lake city '02.
i've heard madrid will be among the favorites as well despites barcelone '92.

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
marmotte said:
well england had euro '96 :eek: ;)
but anyway you can't compare WC with the olympics.
i don't think new york will have it: LA '84, atlanta '96, salt lake city '02.
i've heard madrid will be among the favorites as well despites barcelone '92.
ah yes, forgot euro 96 (shame on me! ;) ) NY would fit into that row, every few years its olympic games in the US. BTW: were there ever olympic games in Southamerica? The people there would deserve it.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
delpi_vanni_10 said:
BTW: were there ever olympic games in Southamerica? The people there would deserve it.
yep i agree, as well as the africans.
Rio has been dismissed because of safety reasons IOC told yesterday.

·
Banned
37,734 Posts
I think Paris will take it.
If Rio was eliminated thorugh safety reasons, so wil NY and Moscow. Anyway, don't think Rio has the correct structure to hold the games of such magnitude.

·
Registered
43,395 Posts
Paris - NYC - London - Moscow ... Shoudl be teh strongest line=up ever. Add teh great Madrid and you have 5 of top of the pops cities in teh world. WOW!

Paris is not safer than NYC by any means. Moscow takes the crown for UNSAFE thou.

When do they vote? If Bush is out of office by then and all wars are closed and US troops pulled back, if Israeli-palest conflict is settled and Kabul gets its Museum and Library back from the pilliging ... NYC has a great chance! :D

How do they imagine to oragnize Olimpics there??? I live for 14-15 months and I cant see some 50 , 000 sports people plus media, tourists and so on be accomodated. Unless, they use Bronx! :tongue: :howler:

I will pick London! :cool:

D

·
0 Posts
IMO it's between London, Paris and Madrid to host the games and personally i think Madrid will get it.

I was hoping it would be in Havana.

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
bono said:
When do they vote?
Summer of 2005.

The villa is supposed to be in Queens and there will be a new stadium that will then be used for the NY Jets. The subway lines will all be updated. I saw the plans and it looks great, but Ihope that NYC does not get it at least if I am still living here;) If by then, I have moved, then by all means, choose New York.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
delpi_vanni_10 said:
But France had the worldcup in Football in 1998 whereas England had their last big event in 1966!

You wouldn't count Commonwealth Games of 2002 as a big event?

Yes it is harsh that the South American continent has never hosted a game, but the time will come I guess.

I would say the correct decision would have to be Paris.

·
Third Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
20,440 Posts
Re: and the winners are......

delpi_vanni_10 said:
London, Madrid, Moskau, New York and Paris!
No Leipzig. :cry: :(
im sorry for Leipzig... would have been great for the region! :depress: :( now planned projects for a better infrastructure are stopped and even cancelled and well stay behind the moon:rolleyes: ... ARGH. THANK YOU IOC!!!:mad: last games had been 1972 in Germany ...it should have been about time !!!

now i want Madrid to win it!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts