Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who do you think will be the biggest underacheivers at the world cup......in my view.....it will be........italy........the should go to atleast the QF but they will only get to the 2nd round

·
Registered
25,267 Posts
It will most likely be Spain as they always have great players but always seem to freeze on the big stage. And along with my country, Yugoslavia, I would say that they were the perennial under achievers of International football but maybe it's not all down to the players.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I think probably it will be england. There is soo much pressure on them, but they really don't have alot of depth. I'm not saying that they aren't a talented team... (they are arguably as talented as any other team), just that they dont have much depth. That is something that I think will be exposed, given the grueling nature of competition in the modern game.

I really think that brazil will OVERachieve, for the same reasons. They have the most depth.

I'll pick brazil to win it all..I wonder what kind of odds I could get for that?? hmm..

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
who else the perinnial underachievers - SPAIN:yuck:
Actually i sympathize with their team. No really i am not joking.

They have loads of talented players but never seem to achiev anything. its kind of a taboo. maybe bad luck.

Anyway i will hope they break the taboo this time.

best of luck:star:

As somebody mentioned England are also a top contender for this spot due to the same reasons as that person has stated.

i only hope it is not brazil or italy. :nervous:

ciao.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Well, it is a fact that at leasty one of France, Argentina or England will not make the quarter-finals. As if the Group of Death isn't hard enough, the 2nd place team will most likely play France in the round of 16.

Another dicey proposition involves Portugal & Italy. They could hook up in the round of 16. Italy are notorious for starting slowly ( no wins in 1st round WC'82, and 1 win in 1st round WC'94). If Italy loses or ties to Croatia, they may wind up in 2nd and face Portugal.

·
Registered
44 Posts
How can I be envious of Italy when I'm french!
Italian fans that I have meet have said without a doubt they will be in the final because the have an easy draw. So me saying they will under achieve is my opinion because their fans think they will make the final and I don't.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Gotta agree with Italy. They are widely talked about as being one of the favourites but i'm not sure they are any more likely to win than your Englands, Spains, Portugals etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hopes of England winning anything of importance since the 66 world cup is remote, and anybody holding onto any chances of this year being any different needs to get help.
And for all the english supporters holding there hopes on Beckham the overrated twat taking them all the way, are truly holding onto the same chance as Erikson caring about them after he gone, and as everyone can really see that he'll be really happy that Sweden got further than them.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
blue eye said:
What a suprise another Italian living living in the past is it still 1982 then?
When Italy didn't even have the strongest team. Or maybe he's living in the 1930s, when England would have won it, and Italy had to resort to stealing Argentinian players.

Anyway, I think the dubious honour of being this World Cup's underachievers may fall to France. as an Englishman, I have high hopes of us finishing top of our group - and with that, avoiding France until the semi-finals. I believe that Argentina will come second to us, and therefore, play France in the 2nd Round. Should Argentina then play well, France won't be able to stop them.

·
Registered
48,504 Posts
I see an Englishmen writing about stolen World Cups.... amusing!!!

As regards England winning the WC in the 30s.... I can tell you that when I look at a quiz on TV I always say that I would have answered to all the questions and I would have won the prize!

As regards the players coming from Argentina.... I think that some English players were born in Scotland or Wales, but they had a grandparent born in England....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bastin Here Here,

England were widely regarded as the Best team in the World in the 20's and 30's and the reason we were not in was because at the time England were not affiliated with Fifa because we already had our own professional league.

England played Italy after both their world cup wins and both times you lost, this at the time was dubbed in both countries as the clash to find the real world champions.

Also your greatest ever manager (if you know this Tonisamp) Pozzi led you to both victories was fired following a 3-0 victory to us in your own backyard.

Also when you hosted the world cup and won it in the 30's you had to bribe the swedish referee in the semi and oddly enough the same referee was in the final as well....mmmmnnn never happened before or since....mmmmmmmnnnn

"SAME OLD ITALY, ALWAYS CHEATING"

1 - 20 of 37 Posts