Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm torn over this one - but between 2002 and 1971 - with 1998 nowhere compared.

In 1971, it took a lot to transform a mid-table team, albeit with a European Fairs Cup behind them, into the Double-winning team. The team has always been seriously under-rated by most around - I once had trouble persuading a Liverpool fan that McLintock was a better player than the mighty Patrick Berger!

1998 was an achievement for two reasons:

1) Arsène Wenger had only just been appointed manager the previous October, and had to adjust to the English game.

2) We came from 10 points behind Man Utd to win it - including Alex Manninger's amazing performances in goal.

The reason that I rate 2002 as better is because the league has improved substantially since 1998, and is now (arguably, but definitely in the top two) the strongest league in the world. This year's performances have been little short of miraculous. The Premiership is now the strongest league in the world (as I've already said, debatably). The setbacks that we've suffered from injuries, suspensions, bad refereeing decisions, and unfounded unsettling transfer rumours would have been lethal to any other club's title ambitions - Man Utd included. The number of records that we've broken is phenomenal: Going the whole season unbeaten away from home, scoring in every game, not going behind since we played Leeds, conceding only 33 goals (not a record, but it's good), and individual achievements like Pires' FWA award.

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Congrats on the Double Gooners! I am really glad you did it! :)

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
this year
why?
cose i am a more dedicated arsenal fan this year
hahaha
and so does the pole at soccernet.com say so too!!

nahnah but seriously
we overcame all the injuries to our star players
had cards
bad luck
and man utd had good luck
shtness with the FA (when does it end?)
:howler:

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I wasnt born for the 71 Double but Id rate this as the best because we have dominated to be named the ARSENAL INVINCIBLES!
Incase any of you havent noticed we have scored more points this season than in any other season in our history!
the records go on and on and dont need to be mentioned!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Tough question. I think it's between '71 and 2002. The '71 double was a remarkable achievement because we lacked the genuine superstars of Man Utd, Leeds, et al, and had an amazing team work ethic. It was like a machine. Winning the title at White Hart Lane wasn't a bad thing either! All of the achievements of '98 have been eclipsed by this years side. The run of victories for '98: Beaten. The quality of teams played in the FA Cup: Beaten. '98 and this years were very different sides. This years all round game is much, much better than that of '98. People have bemoaned our defence and mentioned that we have conceded more goals this term. Yes, but I believe this years back eight(!) performances more than justify me saying this because we've relied on players (Upson, Grimandi, even Luzhny) coming in and doing a job. Which they did. In midfield, our workrate is better. Up front....well, what do I need to say? Everyone who pulled on an arsenal shirt this year has done an amazing job. I thought I'd leave the key position until last. It's probably the one we had most trouble with across the season: Goalkeeper. Many felt Richard Wright was disappointing. Not so. A good goalkeeper, I feel his one problem this season has only been a lack of authority in the box. Stuart Taylor has been an unsung hero this term. His performance against Man Utd stands out. He deserves his medal. Finally, David Seaman. Englands Number One. Fully justified in his performances in the run in.

So....I guess my answer is this years side! The flexibility and reliability of everyone in the squad, many who played in two or three positions, bears this out.

BB

Oooh yeah....you go girl....who's your favourite New Kid? Call me Donny....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts