Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Aston Villa mounting a serious challenge for a top four finish this season and it being tight at the top whom would you like to see fail in their attempts at a top four placing in the league? Manure are looking good for the league repeat so they shouldn't be included in any discussion. Liverpool lead the league for a good while so they probably will finish in a top four spot, leaving two remaining places for three teams. Chelsea started impressively, but have been dire recently. So much so that Scolari got the sack. Can new manager Hiddink re-ignite Chelsea and get a much needed top-four place? Arsenal have been a bit wonky mainly due to shock defeats achieved early on in the league and injuries to Fabregas and Walcott (Eduardo and Rosicky have been out for the majority of the season aswell), but Wenger pulled off a mega big name January signing in Andrei Arshavin and he could be Arsenal's savour this campaign. The team are currently on an impressive undefeated run and it is my personal hope that they finish the season well :)thumbsup:). Aston Villa have surprised many this season by getting the results and collecting the points and are third placed, but this is very new to their fans and manager and will the lack of experience needed mean they lose out? Dicuss (please)...

·
Scudetto
23,903 Posts
If Chelsea miss out I can imagine Roman giving up on them.

In all likelihood I think in the end Villa will be the one missing out.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Everyone said that about Leeds when we made it to the Champions League or Everton when they did it.

Villa wont miss out, trust me.

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
If Chelsea miss out I can imagine Roman giving up on them.

In all likelihood I think in the end Villa will be the one missing out.
Aston Villa- Chelsea next weekend.
So good luck to Villa hopefully they beat them and that will really give them a huge lead. I think they can do it :thumbsup:

But remember Everton a couple of years back. They didnt even qualify for the CL, but EPL still got 5 teams.... Will the same happen if Arsenal/Chelsea win the CL and finish out of the top 4?

·
Premium Member
31,455 Posts
Want Villa to make it, just for a fresh face in the CL, not too bothered about who misses out. It'll be Arsenal or Chelsea, don't really have a priority. I guess Chelsea would be in a better position to deal with failure and not losing their best players if they don't make it.

And amf, AFAIK they sorted the rule out on that, so the CL winner gets in and the 4th place team goes in the UEFA cup next time.

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
I think it's high time the Premiership received a 5th CL place, it is after all the strongest league in the world by miles and miles.

And having 3 Premiership teams in the semi finals of the last two Champions League tournaments just says it all, these pretenders to the top 4 in England in Villa and Everton seem to give the top 4 more problems than the rest of Europe do. Time to honour the best.

Waiting for nindra

·
Premium Member
31,455 Posts
TBH, CL should run without English teams, and whoever wins the CL should get a guest spot in the EPL the next season.

·
Registered
9,491 Posts
Have my doubts about Liverpool though. They are only 3 pts ahead of Aston Villa and are the only team to not significantly strengthen their team in the winter market. They instead sold Keane. It will all be up to Torres and Gerrard getting their act together but is the 10 point lead big enough over 5th placed Arsenal. Slim chances but wouldnt just yet count them out of the Europa Cup race.

Arsenal have the most potential to climb with Arshavin and a host of injured attacking players coming back from various injuries. Defensive game seems to be working fine for them. But will the gap be too big for them to catch up ?

Chelsea with their out of form oldsters. A team in turmoil. Dont know if the flop Quaresma and Hiddink will be enough to save the club from shambles ? Probably the biggest candidate for the new Europa League or Cup or whatever it is.

Aston Villa signed Emile Heskey for attack and Carew seems to be slowly climbing back. Well balanced squad with a coach who has the winner mentality and European experience. Along with Chelsea the biggest suspect of not qualifying though. The inexperience of the club and lack of quality compared to others is the question mark.

More interesting is the question which club would have the most to loose when not getting the CL spot ?

Arsenal is saying that they are not counting on the CL money but without top European football will their stars stay in the club or go to better hunting grounds, leaving Arsene with his favorite activity of finding youngsters and building the team.

Abramovich has canceled the continuous money flow, Chelsea have a old squad with no manager for the next season. Also it has been reported that they have to sell in order to buy. Also an interesting situation. What will happen to them when CL money wont be coming in and with their owner refusing to invest.

Aston Villa have slowly built up a strong and even squad but how many of their starplayers would be willing to stay only for the Europa Cup ? Financially their model is smart with no needless risk taken and should get along well even without the CL money. Would just mean a lot of years work would go to waste and back to the drawing board. The money generated from players sells and a good financial situation though would mean that they would have something to draw for next season.

Dont know what to comment on L´pool though. They are in a need of new owners anyways.

Also next year would see ManCity, Tottenham and Everton fighting again for the spots. First two´s chances are hampered by idiotic managers while Everton is the weakest of the bunch with stability and ability to grind out results speaking for them. Pretty fun. Logical result though probably will be MCity replacing Chelsea in the top4 sector in a long run.

·
Premium Member
31,455 Posts
Abra is just having a hissy fit until he gets the type of football he wants, once that starts happening he'll reinvest.

Plus for all the bollocks, if they don't finish top four this season, I'd expect a super expensive summer revolution. Out Ballack, Drogba, Malouda and others and in with younger, hungrier players like Aguero and Ribery. At big initial expense but good long term gain.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
I think it's high time the Premiership received a 5th CL place, it is after all the strongest league in the world by miles and miles.

And having 3 Premiership teams in the semi finals of the last two Champions League tournaments just says it all, these pretenders to the top 4 in England in Villa and Everton seem to give the top 4 more problems than the rest of Europe do. Time to honour the best.

Waiting for nindra
I couldn't agree more.

Moron.

·
Registered
9,491 Posts

Waiting for nindra
Good point. Then again also Italy and Spain have those teams out of top4 who would do a good job in CL.
In Spain you have RMadrid, Barca, Valencia(dont know for how long), Villarreal, Sevilla, Atletico with CL material squads.

While in Italy there are Juve, Roma, Inter, Milan, Fiorentina, Lazio with CL material teams.

The gap between the big 4 in England and others is just diminishing. Out of those 4 big teams, usually 2 of them are out of the title race in early new year, concentrating their force towards European competitions. Now they dont have that luxury anymore and have to fight on all fronts to qualify.

Everton got hacked down by Villarreal in the qualifiers the season they finished 4th.

But until Platini is calling the shots, the situation will not change. They already took down G14 who was also in favor of some similar system with more top clubs facing each other. Lets wait and see.

·
Premium Member
31,455 Posts
Actually Everton were really unlucky against Villarreal, they had a controversial goal ruled out, which would have put them through.

They got hacked down by Dinamo in the UEFA cup, that was horrific.

I'd say they got hacked down this season, but Liege are a really good team until they have to sell everyone in the summer.

·
Registered
9,491 Posts
Abra is just having a hissy fit until he gets the type of football he wants, once that starts happening he'll reinvest.

Plus for all the bollocks, if they don't finish top four this season, I'd expect a super expensive summer revolution. Out Ballack, Drogba, Malouda and others and in with younger, hungrier players like Aguero and Ribery. At big initial expense but good long term gain.
They already stated that in order to buy Chelsea will have to sell. They are trying to brake even from Romans wallet. Actually i think its not only the hissy fit. Roman has lost shitload of money during the crisis. And things are not looking up for him at the moment. Still filthy rich though.

Wasnt this overhaul promised already with under Scolari ? Who in the end missed out on Robinho due to financial issues. Also Chelsea only managed to get Quaresma on loan in the transfer window.

I still believe that Roman is in it for the long haul but isnt interested anymore in burning money but wants the investment to start creating money and wants the things to sort of stabilize. Although hiring and firing managers like shit and spending fortunes on lay-off fees isnt the smartest choice.

·
Premium Member
31,455 Posts
Think Roman is smart enough to know that they have to be competitive on the pitch if he wants to make any money, and that a low finish would force his hand. Also I tend to think that sell to buy doesn't mean, sell a player for xxx, get xxx to spend in their case. I think it's more get xxx off the wage bill, you get xxx to spend on wages. They have the biggest wage bill in the world, AFAIK. But take Ballack, Drogba and others off it and replace them with younger players and that cheapens.

Sure he's aware that the Glazers, who are blatantly in it for investments, are spending quite a bit of money on players, because they need to to keep competitive. If he doesn't, with the current climate in England, it'd be really easy to end up mid table. Too many other teams are willing to spend like mad to stand still.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
With Aston Villa mounting a serious challenge for a top four finish this season and it being tight at the top whom would you like to see fail in their attempts at a top four placing in the league? Manure are looking good for the league repeat so they shouldn't be included in any discussion. Liverpool lead the league for a good while so they probably will finish in a top four spot, leaving two remaining places for three teams. Chelsea started impressively, but have been dire recently. So much so that Scolari got the sack. Can new manager Hiddink re-ignite Chelsea and get a much needed top-four place? Arsenal have been a bit wonky mainly due to shock defeats achieved early on in the league and injuries to Fabregas and Walcott (Eduardo and Rosicky have been out for the majority of the season aswell), but Wenger pulled off a mega big name January signing in Andrei Arshavin and he could be Arsenal's savour this campaign. The team are currently on an impressive undefeated run and it is my personal hope that they finish the season well :)thumbsup:). Aston Villa have surprised many this season by getting the results and collecting the points and are third placed, but this is very new to their fans and manager and will the lack of experience needed mean they lose out? Dicuss (please)...
I think that's a really long paragraph.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Four CL spots each is more than enough for the big three leagues, I don't think any club who misses out on 4th place should be handed any favours, by getting a chance to qualify to the CL, or a direct spot as has been done in the past. I'm sure Serie A, La Liga, and EPL all have capable teams to compete in the CL outside the big 4, and which ones are better is very arguable.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
I would love to see Chelsea miss out. It would also say to Man City that you cant just win everything spending millions and it expect it to last unless the club as a whole is run in a stable way.

By the way is anyne else getting bored of Man City offering £50m - £100m for every top player out there only for them to turn around and say, no, we want to play in the CL , not for a team 10th in the EPL. I am surprised Robinho ever went and unless they get a really big name in the summer it is quite likely that even Robinho will want out from Man City before too long.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.