Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which Stadium?

Where would youse like to see Ireland playing their home games in the future?

Lansdowne Road
Eircom Park
Stadium Ireland
Croke Park
Other

(can you make a poll for this Romire?)

Personally I'd like to see the FAI give whatever money they have, or can get to buy half of Lansdowne Road and do it up to a 50,000 capacity all-seater. We don't play enough home games to warrant a whole new stadium, I reckon, and the money could be better spent elsewhere. I'd prefer this over Croke Park because Lansdowne has been good to us in the past and there'd be decades of feet-dragging before they could come to any agreement over Croker.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I can't see the rugger-buggers selling half of Landsdowne??

I'm not mad on Landsdowne as a venue either, it's a nightmare to get in and out of. I've no problems with seeing soccer or rugby in Croker, (though the residents of Ballyboch and Drumcondra mightn't think so). Also regarding the opening of Croker to other sports, here's the latest.http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=95&si=674214&issue_id=6746

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
the GAA have thrown the panther among the pigeons by proposing to split the Dubs into 2 seperate county teams (North and South). To do this a new stadium is required. Thus Bertie gets what he wants ie a regular set of GAA games in the Bowl and the GAA still get to have the same number of games at HQ. Everyones happy except for Dubs fans like me who feel shafted by the culchies.

Anyway if the Dublin split goes ahead the Bertie Bowl goes ahead as planned I would have thought esp since the go-ahead for the metro service to that side of the city went thro during the week.

Personally I love Lansdowne as its a short walk from the city centre and its great craic on match days with all the surrounding pubs etc making it a fans day out. The Bowl will be soulless by comparison.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I don't know how splitting Dublin will help Bertiebowl, as both Dublin teams would want to play in Croker. By the way glad to see you are against the split, one county, one hill, one team!!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
There are too many games in Croker as it is due to the new formats in football and hurling. The residents are at breaking point cos of the amount of saturday games . They wont have anything to do with more matches due to 2 Dub teams. The whole thing is a great excuse for Bertie to build his Bowl and for the GAA to row in behind that stadium thereby justifying the millions of tax payers money they've taken without rule changes etc and without losing valuable gate money at Croker without which they'ld go bust.

Personally I'm a one county, one Hill fan. I come from an area which is on both sides of the river. Who are we supposed to support. The GAA may think they are smart but what they need in the Capital is a winning team to get kids playing not splitting it up. Besides the GAA is dying in Dublin due to its outdated bogger mentality which cuts no ice with Dubliners who would much rather row in behind international based sports. (just my biased opinion).

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Re: Which Stadium?

dubh-ban said:

(can you make a poll for this Romire?)
Sure thing

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Just for the sake of organization I've merged this poll with the "Which Stadium?" Thread

·
Registered
313 Posts
I know this is a soccer forum, but please indulge me for a moment as this is important.

Badge, and anyone else out there who disagrees with the proposed split of Dublin inter-county teams into 2, there's an e-mail campaign you can support:

[email protected]

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Alright I know absolutely nothing about the stadiums so if you could give some info so that I could make an informed decision that would be great like what are the stadiums used for aside from the NT (obviuosly Lansdowne Road is where the NT calls home now, I at least know that ;) ) which stadium has the most capacity down to which has the least. What has the potential for renevation. Which stadiums are older etc.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
have'nt been in the dubsforum since last years championship but went in to see what the craic is with the split.

Now stadia:

Lansdowne Road - Oldest International Rugby ground in the world and looks it. Talk of turning it 90 degrees (using the newish east stand as a behind the goal stand so to speak) and rebuilding as a nice big modern new stadium. Land is the most expensive in the country so the IRFU could sell for an absolute fortune. They own land out near Newlands Cross for possible development. Lansdowne holds 49,000 for rugby but drops to 33,000 for footy. Best location for the before and after drinks thing!

Eircom Park - dead in the water now that the Govt have paid off the FAI. Was to be 45,000 with sliding roof and all that jazz. Is in the middle of nowhere and the traffic would be a nightmare. But at least it would be the FAI's.

Stadium Ireland - the Bertie Bowl. Will hold 85,000 and will be part of a sports campus. The ideal solution as rugby will come in on this as well. Bit out of the way but not to worry.

http://www.irlgov.ie/taoiseach/sportsstadium/

Croke Park - almost rebuilt home of the GAA (should be finished in the summer). Will hold 85,000. In city centre but no flood lights

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/ireland/leinster/dublin_croke_park.jpg

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Thanks for the info, Stadium Ireland sounds like a good possibility, Croke does too if they bought floodlights.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts