Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imagine a hypothethical foreign league that you become interested in following, and one of that league's teams catches your sympathy. Which team are you more likely to sympathize with – the team that wins trophies most frequently, the one with the nicest jersey, or the one that plays the most aggressive football?

For argument's sake, suppose that they are three different teams. Which quality attracts you the most?

If I failed to mention the quality that engages your sympathy for a foreign club, please share it with us. So many of us choose to support teams from foreign lands... I think it might be interesting to explore the roots of a fan's attraction to a club. ;)

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
I don't really like any other teams apart from Liverpool, but if I'm watching a game not involving Liverpool I will cheer for the underdogs, unless It's Everton (who ae always under dogs) then ill cheer for other side

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I like underdogs too. :D :stress:

·
International
8,545 Posts
If they have players I like playing there. I wouldn't say I support the team but I follow their progress.

·
Banned
3,469 Posts
1) They MUST be underdogs, but for me other reasons have incuded:

The strip (AC Milan, Flamengo, Essendon AFL - I was only little, alright?), The city (Chernomorets Odessa), The supporters ('Gladbach), or gratitude (Flamengo humiliating Liverpool 3-0 to be World Club Champions)

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Various reasons. I like the way some play (Barcelona, Lecce); the connections Arsenal has to some (Ajax); I have family from there (Sheff Wednesday & Sheff United, my uncle is from Gelsenkirchen [Schalke]); or I just like them because I played as them on Championship Manager over the years (Santos, Lens).

·
Banned
3,469 Posts
Purger said:
1)Who are Essendon AFL?
2)Does anybody have the goals from Flamengo's 3-0 win over liverpool?
I'll have a look Purger - they are around somewhere on a site with (poor quality) clips of nearly every Toyota Cup.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
I like in a foreign team the potential of the team, also his tactic organisation.

Offensively I like how they pass the ball, the technic to use left/right side, their ability to make good moves, great goals.

Defensively I like how they respect their positions, in midfield and defence, how they are pressuring for stealing the ball, and to stop attacks of the opponent.

I like offensively to watch Arsenal, one of the best examples, or for sure my team Barcelona. Defensively I have to take an italian example and Milan is fabolous. Rijkaard try to find his own example for barça, and it's very successful

·
Registered
46,404 Posts
Yes, they have to be underdogs, at least when I choose them. The name and the jersey are very important, while I don't care if they have champions but some particular players like a 18 years old guy already bald or a black guy with natural blond hair or a skilled fat guy or a over 40 years old goalie can make it more attractive.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Garrincha said:
Yeah, I like underdogs too. :D :stress:

Me too.

First of all I'd watch the league and as many games as possible. I however have no preference whether the team plays offensive or deffensive (unless it's REALLY Cuper-style, that's just pain for the eyes :yuck: ). I like seeing my players chop somebodys legs off but only if they don't kill his career of course ;). But like I said, I never "pick" teams from the top, always the underdogs cuz it's sweater to see come through all the sh!t and win it :D . Still hoping for Parma :stuckup:

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
ToniSamp said:
Yes, they have to be underdogs, at least when I choose them. The name and the jersey are very important, while I don't care if they have champions but some particular players like a 18 years old guy already bald or a black guy with natural blond hair or a skilled fat guy or a over 40 years old goalie can make it more attractive.

Same here...

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
If they have a tradition of dared attacking football with a certain tactical 'arrogance' . That's how Celta -with Fernandez as coach- seduced me. And because the master himself Johan Cruyff, I'll always have a weak spot for Barcelona (and Ajax but keep it quite :D).

I really don't like underdogs (because they play defensive) but they also shouldn't be completely invioible either. There is no glory supporting a team just for the big names.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts