Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is no need to go with a full squade, I would like from Pekerman to try new players or give other players the chance to play full matches and prove their worthy of a place in the NT. There is no better chance than the CC next June in Germany.

The players I want to see in the CC net June in Germany are (it should not be the full squade, just the players you want to see:

1- Fernando Belluschi, he has been performing greatly since a year or more.

2- Rodrigo Palacio, he is doing good with Boca and should be given a chance.

3- Gallardo, the magic he is showing week in week out is simply an evidence of how great Gallardo is, he just needs to leave his girlish manners out.

4- Mariano Pavone, 14 goals so far, putting Estudianties in a place they would not even dreamt of before having him, the top of the table with 24 points! Next goal scorer on the sheet has only 8 goals! A scoring machine, 22 years, strong, fighter and wisely skilled, I am very excited about him.

5- Mareque, he also deserves a chance, he is fast, skillful, powerful shot and good at defending and attacking.

6- Tevez, he is already a proving world class player, need I say more than his name anyway!

Also I want to see Messi, even for some minutes if possible or even complete halfs.

Roman and Aimar together in the midfield, do you think they should play the CC for Pekerman to remind them how to play together?

Your players?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
ya i think roman and aimar should play together ... this is a good time to next out new players as well ... messi is still young but maybe they should take him anyway

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Well, first of all check what Pekerman said yesterday:

Argentina door open for Veron, Samuel, Tevez

By Brian Homewood

BUENOS AIRES, May 3 (Reuters) - The door is still open to the Argentina team for Juan Sebastian Veron, Walter Samuel and Kily Gonzalez while Carlos Tevez's recent absence is not related to his move to a Brazilian club, says coach Jose Pekerman.

Samuel appeared in Pekerman's first two games in charge last year against Uruguay and Chile while Veron and Gonzalez have yet to play under the former taxi driver who has risen to become one of international soccer's most respected coaches.

''All these players, Samuel, Kily Gonzalez, Tevez, Veron, who have been in the team are still under consideration," Pekerman told Reuters in an interview. "They all have chances to come back.

"Before every squad announcement we analyse how everyone is -- their physical condition, how much they've been playing in their teams, the match itself -- and once we've looked at all this, we choose who is going to play."

Tevez, 21, appeared to have established himself as a regular last year but has not been picked since he surprisingly left Boca Juniors to join Brazilian club Corinthians in December instead of taking the traditional route to Europe.

"Tevez has a fantastic future ahead of him," said Pekerman. "We need more time to analyse his move to Corinthians.

"Brazilian football has great prestige...and it's just as competitive as in Argentina.

"So nothing has changed with the fact that Tevez has gone to Brazil. On the contrary, it's going to be difficult for him to play in a country with so many good players.

"I want him to do well and we hope that Tevez will continue improving so he can play for his country."

JOURNEYMAN PROFESSIONAL

Pekerman, who took over last October following the surprise resignation of Marcelo Bielsa, was a journeyman professional during the 1970s until injury curtailed his career.

He then eeked out a living driving a taxi and doing other part time jobs until Argentinos Juniors, one of his former clubs, took him on to coach in their youth divisions in 1982.

After performing a similar role at Chile's Colo Colo, he got his big break in 1994 when Argentina hired him to coach the national youth teams.

He steered the under-20 team to three world youth titles between 1995 and 2001, earning enormous respect for their attacking football and fair play, and now coaches many of the players he helped develop.

His lack of experience with senior players, however, led to criticism of his appointment from figures such as Diego Maradona and 1978 World Cup-winning coach Cesar Luis Menotti -- something Pekerman shrugs off.

"They are two idols, two of the great figures in Argentine football and nothing they say upsets me," he said.

If Pekerman wanted to respond to his critics, however, he would only have to read them his record so far.

Argentina are unbeaten in his first seven games, despite his chopping and changing the team with a speed which has alarmed some commentators.

"Some people would like you to coach the team from memory because it appears this makes them feel more secure," said Pekerman.

"If we always play the same and win, everything's fine. And when we lose, they ask why we always play the same players, why didn't we try the others."

In fact, Pekerman has been so successful that he is already stirring memories of the 2002 World Cup.

On that occasion, Argentina appeared to do everything right in the run-up only to fall at the first hurdle.

Pekerman is philosophical about the fear of a repeat and refuses to use the word failure to describe the Japan/South Korea adventure.

NO FRIENDLIES

"If you interpret it that way, then we can forget all this, we won't do any preparation, we won't play any friendlies, we'll just go straight to Germany," he said.

"You have to work all the time to be the best and remember that nobody can guarantee the result, nobody can guarantee that you will be the best, that you will be champion," he said.

Whatever the results, Pekerman is convinced that the days when Argentina was divided into "Menottistas" and "Bilardistas" -- followers of the country's respective World Cup-winning coaches -- have been left behind.

Menotti favoured flowing, attacking football.

Carlos Bilardo, who emulated Menotti with Argentina's 1986 World Cup victory, was famous for a win-at-all-costs approach which, it has been widely rumoured, included offering contaminated water to Brazil during their second round match in 1990.

"Brazil won the World Cup in the United States (in 1994) where a lot of people were unhappy because they won on penalties," Pekerman said.

"But they celebrate the fact that they are five times world champions, so everything has its value.

"The Argentine thinking is that we want to play well and if we do that, we are closer to winning. But we have to be objective if we don't win and realise that it's not a tragedy.

"Bilardo and Menotti were champions and achieved important things in Argentine football and we value them both, although there are people who like one more than the other.

"Today, there is not a huge division in the way Argentine fans think. They enjoy good football but also value a team which gives everything, is tough, strong, has character, players with speed -- all part of Argentine football."

I think the most important position is the GK, I dont know how many GK's are allowed to the Cup (maybe 3 as the WC), Pekerman really has to consider calling Lux and Costanzo with El Pato, also I thank god that Placente is injured (I know saying this is bad) but Osmar Ferryra should get a chance after all, he's great. Maxi is injured as well and will not be able to get the call, Solari should take part of it and also Ibarra.

·
Registered
733 Posts
He needs to bring up Cavenaghi and Fernandez before worrying about Palacio. I would like him to bring Messi, everyone says good things about him and have yet to have the chance to see him play. If he keeps this up Pavone will be a must.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
agree about messi, also would like to see depetris join him there.
a few others i think deserve a call:

martin demichelis - playing great at bayern as either a dm or cb
gaston fernandes - possibly the most exciting argentine player right now
pablo barrientos - he played suberb at the sudamericano, can he do it at the senior level?
osmar ferreyra - leading his team to the semifinals of the uefa cup
fernando belluschi - but of course!
diego milito - top notch scorer
leo franco - needs to be the team's keeper
ariel ibagaza - has missed games to injury, but on form is as good as riquelme

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
I dont think Messi will be there, he will go with Tocalli for the WC U-20 in Holland.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Tevez is a must

I don't know if we want to play riquelme and aimar but I wouldn't mind if we did, would be entertaining to watch

anyway I'd say cavenaghi is a must

possibly collocini sp i forgot its been a while since the olympics

solari IMO should play as well

·
Registered
473 Posts
A call up for Cavenaghi would be nice but i think it might be best for him to stay and play for Spartak.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Tevez, Saviola, Cavenaghi, Maxi upfront (the first 2 don't have the height, so how a tall and short player combination works upfront would be interesting to find). Messi for some time would also be nice.

Aimar, Riquelme in the middle - as Beraht mentioned it would be interesting to see how they work together and if there is any realistic chance of us winning at Berlin, this combination has to work (sorry, I don't think Veron is up to the task).

Not sure who to try new in defense.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Balamurugan said:
Tevez, Saviola, Cavenaghi, Maxi upfront
Maxi is injured and will be rested for at least 3 months.

Pekerman is thinking to bring his full strength team, he said that it will be his first exam for the WC and he needs to call his best guns.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
I might add to them Julio Arca, I am hearing good news about him..

check this out:

Arca relishes top flight return with Sunderland

By Rex Gowar

LONDON, May 5 (Reuters) - Julio Arca can justifiably claim to be the most influential South American in English football this season after playing a massive role in Sunderland's return to the Premier League.

Argentina defender Gabriel Heinze of Manchester United, Aston Villa's Andean trio and the Brazilians at Arsenal have higher profiles, but none of them have had the impact of left winger Arca.

For the second season running Arca has been voted in the best 11 for the Football League championship, English football's second tier, rewarding his defending, creating and goal scoring for **** McCarthy's title winning side.

Captain of Argentina's 2001 World Youth Cup-winning team when already a Sunderland player, it is remarkable that the popular player has stayed in the North East of England so long.

The 24-year-old signed for Sunderland for 3.5 million pounds ($6.5 million) from the Buenos Aires club Argentinos Juniors in 1999, becoming the club's second Argentine signing after former midfielder Claudio Marangoni some 25 years ago.

"I feel very comfortable here...the last two years were very good even though we were unable to go up to the Premier League (last season) and we lost in the semi-finals of the FA Cup," Arca told Reuters in an interview.

Defeat to Crystal Palace in last year's promotion playoffs without Arca, who was injured, could have signalled an end to his time at Sunderland, but he wanted to stay on.

"I was offered a new contract and I signed because I had hopes. I could see with the team we had that we could win promotion to the Premier League," he said.

"I didn't make a mistake in signing the contract... It's very important for the club and the players to return to the Premier League.

"To be named in the ideal team again is really great and this time there are three of us (from Sunderland)," added Arca, the team's third highest scorer with nine league goals after scoring the equaliser in Friday's 2-1 victory at West Ham.

FUTURE PLANS

There have been no firm offers to entice Arca away from Sunderland, "only newspaper stories and (a link with) Everton", but he said he would like to play in Spain one day.

"That's the football that most resembles the Argentine game but if things continue to go well here and there are no better offers, I'll stay," he said.

"I've got two more years on my contract and we're playing in the Premier League next season."

Arca's success in England contrasts with the failure of fellow Argentine Nicolas Medina, a more skilled player, who quit Sunderland two years ago to play in Spain.

"Football is very physical here, they play hard, compared to Argentina the kicks you get here you don't see in Argentina," he said with a grin.

"It's very quick, the pitches are always damp, wet, but you have to get used to it. It's hard sometimes because the football is so different.

"It was hard for him because he's not big or a fighter but he's got great quality. I'm always asked why he left," said Arca, whose busy, hard-running style lends itself to the demands of English football.

"In the Premier League they play more football, the quality of the players is something incredible.

"We need a couple more players with experience because the players who are here are doing great but they're young and in the Premier League you need experience in the big matches against the big teams."

NATIONAL COLOURS

Arca hopes that being back in the Premier League might improve his chances of wearing Argentina's colours for the first time at senior level.

"The last time I played in the national team was in the under-20s and, well, I'm waiting for a chance," he said.

"Jose Pekerman knows how I play, he coached me in the under-17s, the under-20s, he's known me for a long time."

Pekerman, who steered Argentina to three World Youth Cup victories between 1995 and 2001, took charge in September of the senior team who are top of the South American qualifying group for the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

Arca is looking forward to going home after the season finishes and may even call in on his mentor and the team preparing for Argentina's next qualifiers away to Ecuador and at home to arch rivals Brazil in June.

"I'm going home to Buenos Aires in about two weeks time for five or six weeks, after the title celebrations here," he said.

"I'm desperate to go, I haven't been for a year, I want to see friends, family, eat barbecues, do the things I never do here."

Arca has earned the rest before his and Sunderland's new adventure in the Premier League next season.

·
Registered
699 Posts
ampersand said:
agree about messi, also would like to see depetris join him there.
a few others i think deserve a call:

martin demichelis - playing great at bayern as either a dm or cb
gaston fernandes - possibly the most exciting argentine player right now
pablo barrientos - he played suberb at the sudamericano, can he do it at the senior level?
osmar ferreyra - leading his team to the semifinals of the uefa cup
fernando belluschi - but of course!
diego milito - top notch scorer
leo franco - needs to be the team's keeper
ariel ibagaza - has missed games to injury, but on form is as good as riquelme
hey bro, who is Osmar Ferreyra playing for these days?

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have seen the semi-final against Parma and have not seen him playing not even on the bench!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Pooh said:
I have seen the semi-final against Parma and have not seen him playing not even on the bench!
You're right. And since he left, I haven't heard news from him. Neither from Cavegol :frownani: .

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Osmar was on the bench - got some blond hair lately:

He is on the bench in every match usually. At this time we have another great left midfielder, so Osmar is playing rarely (last time in CSKA - Saturn Russian Cup match, if I'm not wrong). He played in two matches this season, but he was injured started from the last training camp in February and till the middle of April.

I isn't interesting in Cavenaghi, but he is a bit better than in the last season, I've heard. Have 4 goals in the championship at the moment (in 7 matches, one from penalty kick, one from free-kick).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts