Xtratime Community banner

Who will take Lewis's place as World Champion?

• Vitali Klitschko

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Vladimir Klitschko

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Roy Jones Jnr.

• Chris Byrd

• Hasim Rahman

• James Toney

• Corrie Sanders

• Evander Holyfield

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Audley Harrison

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • None of these (please say who)

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There only one man for me: Vitali Klitschko.

He's so far ahead of the competition I'm not sure if anyone will take a fight with him. I say the best challengers for him are Chris Byrd, Roy Jones Jnr. and his brother, Vlad. Of them, Byrd has good technique and movement but his power is questionable when compared to Klitschko, Roy Jones Jnr. again has great movement, is intelligent and lightning quick but I just could see him being able to KO Klitschko who must be 6 inches taller and 3 stone heavier. Vladimir Klitshcko is one for the future and needs time to rebuild his rep after only one fight since being demolished by Corrie Sanders.

Aside from these four there are James Toney, former WC Hasim Rahman, John Ruiz, David Tua and Corrie Sanders who will probably all see this as a big chance. IMO, no of these four are good enough to ever be the WBC holder, though. The list goes one with pretenders like Joe Mesi and washed up has beens like Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield. Then there's Audley Harrison who may become one of the top five in the World in a year or two but I doubt he'll ever be able to loosen the Klitschkos grip on the belt.

I've even heard that George Foreman is preparing for a fight with an 'unnamed opponent'. Foreman is my favourite boxer ever and I really don't want to see him come back only to tarnish his reputation.

Who do you think will take the vacant belts and what fight would you most like to see for them?

D

·
0 Posts
Vitali is the real world champion, the sooner he gets that belt around his waist the better. Hopefully he can bring some honour back to the title that Lewis has disgraced with his behaviour

Wladi will never fight his brother, Byrd holds a win over Vitali but that was because Vitali got injured when he was winning the fight by a distance. Junior won't fight at heavyweight anymore.

IMO Vitali will win the WBC belt, no matter who he fights, and then he'll look to fight Byrd to unify.

Wladi will beat Brewster for the WBO title IMO and then look to fight whoever is WBA champ to unify those belts.

By the end of this year, IMO all four belts will be in the possession of the Klitschko brothers.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
When looking at this I can only think of the Vitali and Vlad, the division is so week now that I dont see a decent challenger and given they will never fight eachother its all the more dissapointing.

Tua could have, if he kept in shape and learnt to jab, Rahman has lost it completely and the guy everybody loves to hate in Ruiz now has a major chance to be one of the divisions top men (man thats sad). Hell probably grab one of the belts being pushed by king now but will lose once fighting a Klit.

Off of this list there are two names that might be able to get a title. Dominic Guinn seems to be progressing very well and is better IMO than Mesi who is hugely overrated.

Another who you might laugh at is Gonzalez who recently beat Sam. IMO he could box the ears off of any heavyweight (given Roy will never fight again at this level) only lacking a bit of power. WIth the angles he gives he might be able to dodge the Klitchko's big shots on a very good night and is tall and rangy himself so there wouldnt be a huge size difference.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
Totally agree with Doc. Vitali should have got the title when he fought lewis,,,,so the sooner he gets it the better

btw does anyone think that there would ever be a klitchko fight between each other???

·
Registered
307 Posts
personally i don think vitali would have won that fight against lewis, but i was cheering for him all the way and i hope he becomes the next champ.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drito said:
btw does anyone think that there would ever be a klitchko fight between each other???
Although I think everyone would love to see it, as well as being brothers they're best friends and have vowed never to fight, so it's impossible.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Hey guys... guess what... there's a new pretender - Andrew Golota :tongue:

17.04 Madison Square Garden, NYC.

Chris Byrd - Andre Golota fight for the IBF heavyweight title.

To those who haven't heard yet - Golota signed a contract with Don King a couple of weeks ago - it explains everything but the former "Great White Hope" is obviously not ready for such a fight in my view :rolleyes:

D

·
0 Posts
Byrd will dance around him, pick him off with quick combinations and beat him easily on points

·
Registered
59,022 Posts
and some more confirmed dates:

10th of April : Vladimir Klitschsko to fight Lamon Brewster for the WBO title in Las Vegas. Any of you know more about Brewster btw?

24th of April: Vitali Klitschko to fight big South African Corrie Sanders for the WBA and WBC titles. Family pride and honour will on the line for this! and also the first all white heavyweight title fight I can remember right (other than the Vladimir - Sanders fight) ! probably the first in like 40 or 50 years right going back to the days of Rocky Marciano. Possibly a good pub quiz question :D to what was the last all white heavyweight title fight (excluding the Corrie Sanders - Vladimir Klitschko fight)!
The only white heavyweight champ other than the Klitschko brothers, Joe Bugnor :D and Sanders in the last 20 or so years I can think of is Tommy Morrison who now has AIDS I heard :(

Both fights should be on German TV with both the bros being promoted by Hamburg based Universum which has a contract with free to all channel ZDF :cool:

D

·
0 Posts
Vitali and Sanders aren't fighting for the WBA title, John Ruiz has been given that for some reason. I think it's the IBO and WBC titles they are fighting for

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Vitali will be the next WBC champion.

Why put RJJ into the poll,I dont think Jones has plans on fighting in the Heavyweights again,He will unifie the whole Light Heavyweight division, cause them titles he vacated to fight Ruiz are on borrowed time.Its starts with the rematch whoopin Tarver.

Forget ya heavyweights,RJJ is the god of boxing.

D

·
0 Posts
IF(and it's a big if) Junior wants to be Heavyweight Champ again, at least three of the titles are there for him to take. He'd beat Brewster, Byrd and Ruiz pretty easily IMO. And if Sanders beat Vitali, then the WBC title is a possiblity as well.

If the money was right, i could see Roy unifying the titles, and then fighting Tyson before quitting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts