International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If we keep it to the generally accepted top leagues:

Serie A
La Liga
EPL
Bundesliga

Personally I think it's a toss up between the EPL and Serie A. I think Spain would definately still be a top league without any foreigners (assuming that was the rule throughout Europe). Germany would be better than England and Italy IMO.

So between the English and Italians I'd say the Italians would suffer most. The mifield game would suffer tremendously and it would be too much for the Italians to make up in a short amount of time. The English have the advantage of being hard workers so they'd adjust much better. They're more well rounded than the Italians so the impact would be more or less even across the positions whereas the Italians would have that abyss in midfield.

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Why wouldn't Spain suffer? Isn't Spain full of Latin Americans? Or do many of them obtain Spanish citizenship easily?

·
Banned
12,611 Posts
Andrija PFC said:
Why wouldn't Spain suffer? Isn't Spain full of Latin Americans? Or do many of them obtain Spanish citizenship easily?
Spain has a lot of great players like Xavi,Fernando Torres,Raul,Morientes,Puyol..............................

·
Registered
190 Posts
england by far, look at your top teams and look how many foreign players are in them then look at a juve or inter side and look at the home talent they have

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sure they're all gonna suffer but some will do worse than others. As for Spain, I think of these 4 countries they have the most talent and could do without the foreigners much easier than the others.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
EPL... suddenly all the skill goes out the window.

·
International
9,526 Posts
Tough one. These days, any one of those leagues imposing that kind of rule would not only affect the local game adversely but would have some pretty severe knock on effects for other countries as well. For example, football for Ireland and Wales at an international level would suffer (even more for Wales) in my opinion if their players weren't able to ply their trade in England. Be interesting to speculate how it would change things domestically. With this 90 minute rule on scouting youth footballers, it could change the whole face of English football. United would definitely struggle I think. Perhaps the London clubs would find it hard too. Maybe the reemergence Newcastle and the Merseysiders would occur?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
It would certainly be down between England and Germany. If all the foreigners left the EPL, they would lose the likes of Henry, Van Nistelrooy, Farbregas, Reyes, Cristiano Ronaldo, Drogba, Robben, Carvalho, and so on. As the poster above me stated if this happens all the quality of the EPL would go out the window. Sorry to say England does not have players like Totti, Del Piero, Montella, Cassano, Vieiri, Di Michele, Nesta, Cannavaro, and Zambrotta to field. However if all the leagues were stripped of foreigners all would suffer, and it would be hard to find which one faired the best.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Andr3w said:
It would certainly be down between England and Germany. If all the foreigners left the EPL, they would lose the likes of Henry, Van Nistelrooy, Farbregas, Reyes, Cristiano Ronaldo, Drogba, Robben, Carvalho, and so on. As the poster above me stated if this happens all the quality of the EPL would go out the window. Sorry to say England does not have players like Totti, Del Piero, Montella, Cassano, Vieiri, Di Michele, Nesta, Cannavaro, and Zambrotta to field. However if all the leagues were stripped of foreigners all would suffer, and it would be hard to find which one faired the best.
But they have Defore, SWP, Terry, Ferdinand, Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes, Rooney, Smith, Sol Campbell, A. Cole.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
I'll keep the Bundesliga out of it, as I think it's obvious that the strongest three leagues today are the PL, La Liga and serieA.

Of those leagues, definately, the PL clubs are more reliant on foreign talent comparatively. The number of foreigners in the starting 11 is markedly higher, and it's no surprise looking at the options available to the respective NT coaches.

So... the PL.

I think Spain would remain the league to watch if one wants "nice" attacking football, but I think Italy would be the most succesfull league... not forgetting that Chelsea's current buying power could insure a very powerfull version of the English NT....

Side note... this could be a discussion on how the latest (approved) UEFA proposal of having 25 man squads (max) with a mandatory 5 players developed from the youth squads and 5 "homegrown players" (as in developed in the host country) would pan out.

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know why so many people seem to think the Italians have all this talent? As far as midfielders go they're pretty weak there, even their starting midfield isn't very good nevermind second and third rate players. Their defence has a better reputation than it deserves. Maldini, Nesta and I guess Canna with his Juve form are solid no doubt, but other than that they're nothing spectacular at the back.

It's been a while since an Italian team did something in the CL prior to Milan. There's just too many over-hyped players in Italy.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
IVO: There's a shortage of exceptional players in some positions, true.
But there's a multitude of SOLID players and an embarrasment of really dangerous forwards/strikers to decide matches. What is more, the tactical awareness would shine through more.

I don't think you can sidestep the fact that Italy has been in 4 of the last 5 EURO U-21 finals and won 3 of them (I think).

1 - 20 of 144 Posts