Xtratime Community banner

Which formation?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replace Novellino and choose the formation you'd field.

1) the classic 4-4-2: the formation with Zenoni-Diana on the right flank and Pisano-Tonetto on the left flank. Doni can play at right/left midfield for either Diana or Tonetto (or Pisano, moving Tonetto back).
Flachi supported by either Rossini or Kutuzov.
2) the 4-4-1-1: the same as the classic formation but a forward (Kutuzov/Rossini) is replaced by Doni who plays as a trequartista behind Flachi.
3) the 4-2-3-1: a bit more offensive variante of the 4-4-1-1. The trio Kutuzov-Doni-Gasbarroni behind Flachi. Tonetto as left back.
4) another option. Explain it in a post.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
In general, same as zuenotto says: 4-4-2 works well, but sometimes we can't break teams down with it in which case switch to more attacking 4-2-3-1. However, in some games against mid-lower oppostion I'd just start with the 4-2-3-1 in the hope of getting a couple of goals early on and killing the game off.

Also, in games where the strikers just aren't getting the ball then switch to 4-4-1-1 and try to link up the midfield and attack.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I don't have much to add to what's already been said here. 4-4-2 is the best in the long run, but flexibility is a must in certain situations.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I think 4-4-1-1 is the best providing that our wingers are giving a fairly attacking role. I think Tonetto is a very good player for us but is wasted at left back where Piasno does very well. I think Novellino will always play Doni if he is fit but he would be better if he didn't have so much defincive duties. He is too fat and old to be covering the whole pitch but could be very creative playing behind Flachi. It would be better playing Kutuzov on the right wing instead of Diana, he just hasn't done it lately and Kutuzov is more creative and a better attacking option. Maybe push Diana to right back instead of Zenoni but thats a bit dodgy.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
I think 4-4-2 since I think the strenghts of the team lie in attack and defense for now.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
For Sampdoria's squad I have to say that the 4-4-2 is perfect. The formation is rather simple, set up for both solidity at the back and some attacking forays, and since Samp lacks attacking midfielders they really don't have the team to play a 4-2-3-1 for instance, unless you use Flachi or Kutuzov in other positions. Right now I think the 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 is perfect for Samp, unless they would buy an attacking midfielder in the summer.

Antonioli

Zenoni - Castellini - Falcone - Tonetto

Diana - Volpi - Palombo - Doni

Kutuzov - Flachi

As you can see I gave Samp a bit more attacking presence by putting Tonetto at left-back and bringing Doni into the fold after his great goal over the weekend. If Doni can stay on form and fit he would add a lot to the team IMO, especially at set pieces.

·
Registered
785 Posts
personally i would like to see tonetto play left midfield...put palombo on bench, and put doni in the middle with volpi. Left back as Pisano, then put kutuzov at left wing (when tonetto isnt playing or needs to play back), and buy a new striker. worth a try.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I think Palombo is under estimated by us. I think he has being one of our best and most consistent players, may not be creative but he will never give up.

·
Registered
46,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Matux said:
I think Palombo is under estimated by us. I think he has being one of our best and most consistent players, may not be creative but he will never give up.
Infact Palombo can't be replaced... and above all by Doni. Volpi-Doni would not work.

·
Registered
46,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today Tuttosport assumes that Novellino wants to go back to the classic 4-4-2. Indeed, the words of the coach seem to reveal this intention. Nothing bad in it even if that could mean Doni back on the flank or on the bench. What is bad is that Novellino said that one of the main problems in the game against Atalanta was the absence of a "tower" in the attack. That means that we could see Rossini back in the starting lineup for Kutuzov if Rossini recovers from his injury.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Agree that Palombo is underestimated: from what I hear he's having a great season, and his marks from La Gazzetta have been amongsts Samp's best, better than Volpi's. I know these can be dodgy but over the course of the season I think they give a good indication of how people are playing.

If anything I'm starting to think that Volpi needs to improve a bit, but for the time being Volpi-Palombo look like being the central midfield pairing.

The formation Andy proposed would be ideal, if only Doni could perform on the wing and Tonetto was as good a left-back as on the wing.. As it is, Tonetto has been exceptional on the wing, and Doni prefers a more central role. It could be that they just need time to play together, but I don't think Tonetto-Doni on the left has worked that well, compared to Pisano-Tonetto.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Pisano is a logical choice as left back, since he's a young and interesting player who already plays well. That means Tonetto on the wing (where he's best). Doni should be in the middle, preferably replacing Volpi, which won't happen...

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
You guys certainly need Palombo in the side. Both Volpi and Palombo are givens.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
If you want to play Doni in midfield then you'll need Volpi and Palombo in there to do the legwork and Diana and Tonetto to provide width,leaving Flachi alone up front. So essentially a 4-4-1-1 as Matux said, but Samp would need to play the ball through midfield rather than over it for this to work;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts