Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, I don't know if this topic has been made or not. But I am curious which team do you think is better ? For me, judging from their achievement, Cruyff's team looked really scary and formidable team with players like Romario, Stoitchkov, Laudrup, Zubizaretta, Guardiola, Koeman, Miguel Angel Nadal on the team.

However, I think current Barcelona has one of the best attacking midfield-forward team I've ever seen for the past 5-6 years. This team has reached a point or level where no defense in the world is safe when Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Giuly, Xavi and Deco are playing in form.

Care to make this a discussion ? :D

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
I think it is a little bit too early to compare.

Cruyff's dream team was from another planet, winning the European Cup as well as four consecutive league titles. Those were the glory days of FC Barcelona.

However, the current Barca team is pretty damn good although they haven't won anything yet! They have some outstanding players in the team and have finally found the correct structure and system for the correct winning formula. I can definitely see a lot of success coming to the Nou Camp in the near future.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Zhuge Liang said:
Sorry, I don't know if this topic has been made or not. But I am curious which team do you think is better ? For me, judging from their achievement, Cruyff's team looked really scary and formidable team with players like Romario, Stoitchkov, Laudrup, Zubizaretta, Guardiola, Koeman, Miguel Angel Nadal on the team.

However, I think current Barcelona has one of the best attacking midfield-forward team I've ever seen for the past 5-6 years. This team has reached a point or level where no defense in the world is safe when Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Giuly, Xavi and Deco are playing in form.

Care to make this a discussion ? :D
This team has the ability that's for sure.

But saying that, we've got a long way to go to reach that level again. We haven't even won a trophy yet! :doh: Lets just take one game at a time.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
El Fenómeno. said:
I think it is a little bit too early to compare.

Cruyff's dream team was from another planet, winning the European Cup as well as four consecutive league titles. Those were the glory days of FC Barcelona.

However, the current Barca team is pretty damn good although they haven't won anything yet! They have some outstanding players in the team and have finally found the correct structure and system for the correct winning formula. I can definitely see a lot of success coming to the Nou Camp in the near future.
I agreed with El Fenómeno even if he's a merengue :devil:
These team haev potential to be good, time will say if they will be famous in history. Just titles make good teams to great teams.
The show of good football they give to public of Camp Nou is very positive and all Europe is watching Barcelona to see good football.

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
If Barcelona wins the Champions League and La Liga this year, then we can say they are at least equal!

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Whenever I see this kind of question, I answer the same: we'll talk in 2009. This team has a lot to win yet to be compared with Cruyff's Barça.

The truth is that this team is equalizing the records of the team that won the 1990/91 Liga. This team has even scored 2 or 3 more goals and they've received one less. In any case, there's a lot of matches to play.

Nowadays, La Liga is more difficult and the gap between top and small teams has been reduced. So this is another reason that makes it difficult to compare. Time will say.

If we compare them with the team of 1992, Rijkaard's team is definitely playing better. That year we suffered a lot in the first months. I'm sure that the older posters will recall that goal by Bakero against Kaiserslautern. We won 2-0 in Barcelona and we were losing 3-0 in their stadium. In the injury time, Bakero jumped among 2 or 3 "German towers" to score.

In 1992, La Liga was quite difficult in Xmas. We didn't start well and Antic's Real Madrid was impressive. They had an 8 point gap over us, at that time, the victory worth 2 points and not 3 (so it was like 12 points now, more or less). Barcelona did a great second round and we won La Liga thanx to Tenerife in the last day... in the last minutes. Noone had lost an 8 point gap ever.

So if we compare Barcelona 92 and Barcelona 05 in Xmas time, Rijkaard's team is definitely better... the problem is that seasons finish in May/June.

·
Registered
81 Posts
we will see what rijkaard will give barca then we cancompare, without champions there wil be no comparison!

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Its too early to answer thats question....But I have a feeling we will be even better.

BTW why is Zubizaretta even on that list??? I always rated him as average, if not less. The goal he conceded against Milan in CL 94, the goal by Savicavic just makes me wanna strangle him....wasn't he known as the keeper who never saveda penalty kick????

Sorry if i drifted away from the original topic....it was jsut a thought on my mind, and I had to mention it...

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
Barca_AT19 said:
Its too early to answer thats question....But I have a feeling we will be even better.

BTW why is Zubizaretta even on that list??? I always rated him as average, if not less. The goal he conceded against Milan in CL 94, the goal by Savicavic just makes me wanna strangle him....wasn't he known as the keeper who never saveda penalty kick????

Sorry if i drifted away from the original topic....it was jsut a thought on my mind, and I had to mention it...
He is one of our best goalies ever, if not the best.

·
Registered
967 Posts
the dream team was better, ramalets (wrong spelling :( ) was the best keeper ever

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
In absolute terms I think this team is better than the Dream Team: it is a bit worse on the goalscoring side but infinitely much better defensively. But it may not win as much as the Dream Team. Who knows? What it is certain is that there are far more quality teams around than in the Dream Team era. The Dream Team had to face a decaying RM side (but with far worst players than now), and an emerging Deportivo side who had 3 or 4 very talented players but the rest wouldn't make a half of the table side in the Spanish League nowadays. The rest of the teams were piss poor. In Europe, apart from the winner of Seria A and a couple of others the rest of the teams were not up to the standards of today. There was no Bosman rule and teams had to relay mainly in local/national talent, and well, in the CH L only the winner of the league would enter the top European competition, allowing weak teams from weak leagues to go further in the competition than they would do now.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Barca_AT19 said:

Zubi was a great goalie. All the GKs make mistakes and, of course, Zubi too. It's not easy to be Barcelona's goalie and he was for almost a decade. Besides, he's the player of the NT with more caps.

Besides, he came in a difficult situation because Urruti was the idol of the fans. He was our captain during several years and you can see his value after so many years. After Zubi, we've had Busquets, Angoy, Baia, Hesp (probably the only one who played regularly), Arnau, Reina, Bonano, Henke (he was so bad that I can't recall if it's his name), Rustu... until we found Victor Valdés. Too much for a decade.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Koeman4 said:
Zubi was a great goalie. All the GKs make mistakes and, of course, Zubi too. It's not easy to be Barcelona's goalie and he was for almost a decade. Besides, he's the player of the NT with more caps.

Besides, he came in a difficult situation because Urruti was the idol of the fans. He was our captain during several years and you can see his value after so many years. After Zubi, we've had Busquets, Angoy, Baia, Hesp (probably the only one who played regularly), Arnau, Reina, Bonano, Henke (he was so bad that I can't recall if it's his name), Rustu... until we found Victor Valdés. Too much for a decade.
You forgot the worst of the lot: Dutruel.

·
Boti Boti Boti
10,303 Posts
Barca_AT19 said:

HEy, Don't diss Zubi!!! I have a vid of him saving a PK AND the rebound!!!

·
Boti Boti Boti
10,303 Posts
Falastini said:
May you please post a link....thnx

It's in my FCB Historia compilation... at the begining of the Dream Team section, there is a little montage of Zubi making some saves...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts