Xtratime Community banner

941 - 958 of 958 Posts

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Roberto Carlos: 'Capello saved me'
Football Italia

Roberto Carlos has revealed how Fabio Capello is “the most important coach I’ve ever had” after Roy Hodgson ‘destroyed’ him at Inter.
Hodgson famously played Roberto Carlos in midfield, despite the Brazilian being a left-back by trade and going on to become one of the best in his position at Real Madrid.
“Roy Hodgson destroyed me at Inter, he made me play in midfield,” he told Marca.

“I wouldn’t have had the chance to play for the national team and there was the Copa America in 1997.
“We didn’t get along very well, but I didn’t know much about European football.”

The 47-year-old’s spell at Inter lasted only the 1995-96 season as he went on to join Los Blancos, then coached by Capello.

“I talked to Moratti and asked him to let me go. I went to Madrid for Capello, he’s the most important coach I’ve ever had.”

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Panucci: 'Missed World Cup over Lippi row'

Football Italia

Christian Panucci confessed to having a spiky personality, as the defender missed out on the 2006 World Cup because he “told Marcello Lippi to go…”

Panucci is now a coach in his own right, but famously clashed with quite a few tacticians, teammates and opponents over his career.

“It’s not that I had a bad personality, I just had a personality,” Panucci told Radio Radio.

“Some people forget that at the end of it all I did win 20 trophies, was playing in the Grande Milan side at 18, for Real Madrid at 23, then Chelsea and Roma.

“Fabio Capello always wanted me in his teams and that cannot be a coincidence. I just had real problems with Lippi, as I told him to go **** himself and that cost me a place in the 2006 World Cup squad. That’s fair.

“I made a mistake with him at Inter, I admit that, but Lippi had a really odd way of dealing with the squad. A lot of players had problems with him, not just me.”

Panucci is now 47 and out of work after a spell on the Albania bench, but there is one job he’s got his heart set on.

“I was contacted by Roma when they fired Eusebio Di Francesco, but nobody was ready to make a decision, so I wouldn’t have gone there just to be a caretaker for three months.

“I think Daniele De Rossi has what it takes to be a coach, but he stopped playing five minutes ago, so tell him I’m in line first for Roma! In all honest, management is more difficult than I thought it would be.”

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Altobelli recalls the 1980 title: "Title that is worth a hundred without the spot of the soccer bets"

27.04.2020 09:30 by Mattia Zangari See readings

Photo

Today, forty years ago, Inter celebrated its twelfth championship in San Siro, with two days in advance. A historical tricolor also because it was the last conquered with all Italian players and that Alessandro Altobelli tells thus to the microphones of the Gazzetta dello Sport: "The best memory? Too easy: the 4-0 at San Siro against Juventus. That day I made a hat-trick and nobody could imagine scoring three goals for the great Zoff. The first one was on penalty, on the second I hid behind Tardelli and I took advantage of his backpass, on the third I stopped and put the ball in the corner. Then I also managed to get Muraro to score the fourth. And so that day we sent a signal to everyone, making it clear that we were the strongest. "
Where did you first think you were going?
"
We knew that we could win the Scudetto, because we were ready and aware of our strength. Mazzola and Beltrami were good at taking Mozzini and Caso and we stopped being as naive as in the past, when we often got back together. We won the first match, while everyone else drew, and we immediately ran away. "
What was the secret of that team?
"We were complete, because we had technique, determination and running thanks to the preparation of Onesti. A modern team, with a group of friends, all Italians, many grown up in the youth sector. We completed each other perfectly on and off the pitch, because we were all good guys , serious, without crazy heads, even if Bersellini sometimes kept us in retreat all week, between the championship and the cups ".
Good guys but you did the small hours in retreat, confirmation?
"
Some nights we were late, finding ourselves secretly in the rooms of Oriali and Marini to pass the time, but after all, that too was a way to cement our friendship".
She scored 15 goals, while Beccalossi was the idol of the fans. Besides you two, is there anyone who would have deserved more consideration from the press and fans?
"
It wasn't just the two of us who were decisive in that Inter. It is true that I scored most of all and Beccalossi was a genius, but we had no weak points. Bordon was a gentleman goalkeeper, Oriali and Marini then became world champions, but I also remember the importance of Caso and Mozzini, Baresi and Pasinato, Canuti and Muraro. Perhaps a little underestimated was Bini, who was a true captain, leader of the defense, very important in the locker room ".
That scudetto had a particular taste also because Inter was not even touched by the betting scandal ...
"
Given that we were the strongest team and we deservedly won, that unblemished scudetto on the field and out is worth a hundred, for our seriousness and honesty because no one has ever allowed themselves to come near us ".
Shouldn't such a strong Inter win more?
"That was the last year without foreigners. Immediately afterwards the borders were reopened and the others knew how to strengthen themselves better, taking samples that we did not have. Too bad, also because that remained my only championship".

---

RIP Bersellini.

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Pagliuca: 'United wanted me'
Football Italia

Former Inter hero Gianluca Pagliuca has revealed former President Massimo Moratti blocked a possible move to Manchester United in 1997.

The former Italy international helped Inter win the UEFA Cup in 1997-98 and kept 82 clean sheets in his 234 matches for the Nerazzurri between 1994 and 1999.

But the retired shot stopper has revealed he had been able to join the English Premier League twice but was happy to remain at San Siro when the superstars arrived in Milan.

“In 1997, when I returned to the national team, Manchester United asked about me,” he told La Gazzetta dello Sport. “It’s not that I said no, it was Moratti saying: ‘Pagliuca doesn’t move’.

“Then in 1999, Aston Villa came for me, but also Deportivo la Coruna in Spain, who then won La Liga. I have no regrets, top players started to come, for example Ronaldo.”

Pagliuca started at Bologna, where he is currently working as a goalkeeper coach, before moving to Sampdoria in 1986 and helped the Blucerchiati win three Coppa Italia, the Cup Winners’ Cup and the Scudetto during his time at the Marassi.

After leaving Inter in 1999, he returned to Bologna, before retiring in 2007 after a stint at Ascoli. But the former hero has great memories of the month May.

“I made my debut on May 8, on my dad’s birthday,” he said. “I won the UEFA Cup with Inter in Paris, the Coppa Italia with Sampdoria.”
Serie A is hoping to resume play this summer but Pagliuca understands if the players are scared of the return.

“If I were a footballer, I would be a bit scared. I would resume in September, certainly with the hope that in the meantime they’ll be able to find a cure for Covid-19.
“But in my heart, I hope the championship will restart, seriously. I miss football matches on the Sunday, or the Saturday. Our games in the spring, or the Premier League, which I love.”

---

I find it strange that Man U wanted Pagliuca when they had Peter Shmeichel back then... may be agent talk only.

·
Registered
44,292 Posts
Maybe not. I think that was at a point where Schmeichel had some dips and no longer looked invincible...while Pagliuca was still in fine form. Pags would only look like a mortal in 98/99.

·
Registered
56,604 Posts
ex-Interista Attila Filkor just promoted with his club Budafok now to Hungary‘s NB1, for his club it‘s the 2nd time since 1946 to play in the first-tier

(sorry, but he‘s the only ex-Inter player alive that I know of)

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
You don't need to apologise man, that's nice info. I remember Filkor was highly rated in our primavera.

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Melo and Balo in a war of words with Chiellini over what he said about them. While it is true as both Balo and Melo are insane and indisciplined, but Chiellini attacking former teammates to sell a book is cheap. Anyhow, both balo and melo were quite aggressive in their responses:

Balotelli to Chiellini: 'At least I'm honest'

Football Italia

Mario Balotelli slammed Giorgio Chiellini after criticism in the Juventus defender’s book. ‘At least I’m honest enough to say things to people’s faces. Who knows what you’ll say about your current teammates…’

Chiellini presented his new autobiography with an interview in La Repubblica newspaper, in which he singled out the two players who had crossed the line: Felipe Melo and Balotelli.

He referred to his former Italy teammate as “a negative person” with a bad attitude who showed a lack of respect for the squad during the Confederations Cup.

“At least I have the honesty and courage to say things to people’s faces,” replied Balotelli in an Instagram Story.

“You had so many opportunities to do that since 2013, to behave like a real man, but you didn’t do it.

Who knows what you’ll say one day about your current teammates, you strange captain…
“If this means being a champion, then I prefer not to be one. And I never showed a lack of respect towards the Azzurri jersey.”

Chiellini’s ex-Juventus teammate Felipe Melo also sent out an immediate response to the criticism in the autobiography, which goes on sale next week.

---

Felipe Melo: 'Chiellini is a bitter coward'

Felipe Melo did not waste time hitting back after Giorgio Chiellini called him ‘the worst of the worst,’ stating his former Juventus teammate ‘was a coward who is still bitter.’

The controversy erupted this morning when Chiellini presented his upcoming autobiography, noting there were only two teammates who had crossed the line: Melo and Mario Balotelli.

“I’d like to know what incidents he was referring to,” Melo replied to La Gazzetta dello Sport.

“When I was in Turin, I never lacked respect for anyone: teammates, directors or Juventus in general. At this point, though, I have no respect for him. And I never will have.

“He says Balotelli should be slapped and I am the worst of the worst who always risked sparking a brawl? Well, he was always a coward who’d wet himself…

“Besides, it’s too easy to be nasty about someone in a book. Perhaps ‘this defender’ is still angry with me, because when I went to Galatasaray, we gave his Juve some ‘slaps’ and knocked them out of the Champions League. Or that Inter won everything and I am an Interista.

“This is what Chiellini is like, he always acts as if he’s the greatest… I am also reminded that we beat Italy 3-0 in the 2009 Confederations Cup, won eventually by Brazil. Perhaps he’s still bitter about that too, seeing as he’s won nothing at international level with Italy.”

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Melo attacks Chiellini again
Football Italia

Felipe Melo has attacked Giorgio Chiellini again by referencing a social post to Juventus’ defeat to Galatasaray in 2013 with the song ‘Bye, Bye Baby’.

Melo is one of the two players Chiellini called ‘the worst of the worst’ in his new autobiography ‘Io, Giorgio’, due to be released on Tuesday.

Having already branded the defender a ‘coward who is still bitter’, the Brazilian published a provocative Instagram Story this afternoon.

The post is of Galatasaray’s 1-0 victory over Juve in the 2013-14 Champions League group stage, which resulted in the Bianconeri’s exit from the competition.

Originally uploaded by an Inter fan, it contains an action shot from the match and an emoji of a hand waving away a trpohy, with Domenico Modugno’s Sanremo-winning song ‘Ciao, Ciao Bambina’ played in the background.
“I still enjoy it,” read the caption.

---

Snowopoli, I remember fondly.. :D best thing about that juve elimination is the Inter element: Roberto Mancini and Wesley Sneijder

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Pandev: 'I still intend to retire'
Football Italia

Genoa forward Goran Pandev wants to keep the Rossoblu in Serie A before he retires from football: “I hope to greet the fans in a full stadium.”

With football at a standstill, the Grifoni currently sit 17th in the League, as Davide Nicola lifted the club after a difficult start to the season.

Genoa picked up 11 points in their last six games, winning three from their last four in Serie A and beat Milan 2-1 at San Siro in their last match before the forced break.
Now, Pandev has revealed he will retire after the season, but hopes to greet the fans in a full stadium and help the Rossoblu to a new contract in the top-flight.

“We really want to return to the pitch because football is life to us,” he told the Corriere dello Sport. “We can’t wait to see everyone again. We hope, first of all, that life returns to normal. It’s not yet time to think about football.

“It would be positive to return, even for the people. It could help.
“I still intend to save Genoa and then stop. Now, I hope this situation will end and then let’s see. I would like to greet the people of Genoa in a full stadium.

“I gave everything for this shirt, and I hope to greet it with a full Ferraris.”

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Bergomi: 'I had coronavirus'
Football Italia

Former Inter hero Giuseppe Bergomi has revealed he had coronavirus whilst working as a TV pundit and confessed he ‘underestimated’ the disease.

The former Italy international admitted to having tested positive for antibodies after worrying about his ‘sense of smell’ and revealed he ‘couldn’t sit down due to strong pain in my back’.

“I did a serological test and my result came back positive for IgG and negative for IgM. At the beginning of March, I was sick. I had problems with my sense of smell and in my back, but not with my lungs,” he told Ciccio Valenti on Instagram, according to the Corriere dello Sport.

“Now, luck wanted me to have the antibodies, but they explained me that it won’t protect me 100 per cent because the virus changes. If I will get it again, I should get a light version.

“I wasn’t afraid, but I always felt cold, I had to use two heaters. I thought it was a flu, instead I was positive.

“My friends made fun of me and told me I was thinking too much about it, but I was not well, I was always in pain, I was weak. I couldn’t sit down because of the pain in my back, I was always on my feet.

“They told me that I was best not to take anti-inflammatory. After a while, the pain went away, but everything lasted for 20 to 25 days. Now, I’m doing great, I started running again. I only did the serological test, I tried to do the swab, but they told me that after 30 days I should be OK.”

But he confessed that he didn’t behave correctly during the illness, revealing he continued as the coach at the Inter Academy and in his role on TV.

“I was a fool, I underestimated it. On February 21, I had the last training session and one of the boys had pneumonia, from there on we didn’t play anymore,” he added. “On February 26, I was in Naples to comment on the match against Barcelona, then I was in Perugia to watch the match against Benevento.

“In my opinion, I underestimated it before, I’ve been in too much contact with people.”

----

Good to read he is doing great now.

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Felipe Melo: 'I punched Diego Lopez'
Football Italia

Felipe Melo reveals another rather violent encounter after confessing to headbutting Giorgio Chiellini, as he ‘punched’ current Brescia coach Diego Lopez.

The former Fiorentina, Juventus and Inter midfielder was offended when Chiellini called him “a bad apple who always creates the risk of a brawl,” but in his attempts to deny that, Melo seems to be confirming it.

He said in an Instagram Live chat with Sebastien Frey that Chiellini “just has a problem with me because I headbutted him when we were playing against Siena.”

As part of the same lengthy conversation, the Brazilian also spilled the beans on another ugly altercation during his Serie A days.

“I remember the game against Cagliari, Diego Lopez had smashed Alberto Gilardino’s face during a challenge and was insulting me and my daughter, who had just been born,” said the then-Fiorentina player.

“He told me, ‘I’ll see you outside.’ Well, we won the match at the last minute and ended up face to face with him in the tunnel… I didn’t even give him the time to speak before I punched him.”

---

if anything, Chiellini attacking melo in his book gave melo some media attention and publicity. Both are aggressive players, neither an angel..

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Materazzi: 'Juve always lose Finals'
Football Italia

Marco Materazzi says ‘I would’ve killed myself’ if Inter lost their three Finals in 2010 but is comforted by Juventus ‘always losing’ theirs.

Materazzi helped Inter to a historic Treble that year, but what would he have done if the Nerazzurri lost to Siena in their Scudetto decider, the Coppa Italia Final to Roma and the Champions League Final to Bayern Munich?
“I would’ve killed myself,” he told Christian Vieri on Instagram Live.
“When you don’t win and finish second... You know better than me. Getting there is hard enough. Juve always get there and then lose the Finals. :D

“But it’s tough to get there. I lost on May 5 and some Coppa Italia Finals. It takes luck. The Champions League is worth two league titles: One ends in December and another starts in February.”

Despite his dig, the former Italy defender accepted Juve were ‘still better’ than the Beneamata.

“Inter are doing so much, but Juve are still better than us. That must be said, otherwise we’d look like keyboard warriors.

“Juve have worked well over the years, but I'm sure we’ll get to their level too. We missed something in our matches against them, but if the league restarts again then it means nothing.

“Behind closed doors, it’s another Serie A. We’ll see what happens. After that, may the best team win.”

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Eto'o: 'I'll die an Interista'
Football Italia

Ex-Inter striker Samuel Eto’o claims he will ‘die’ Nerazzurro as he recalls his move from Barcelona, playing as a full-back and winning the Champions League.

Eto’o moved to Inter in the summer of 2009 as part of a swap deal with Zlatan Ibrahimovic and went on to score 53 goals in two seasons, winning the Treble in 2010.

“If you’re an Interista once, you’ll die an Interista. That’s just how it is,” he told Gazzetta dello Sport.

“Mourinho convinced me in a simple way: he sent me Inter’s No 9 shirt and wrote to me saying ‘it’s yours, it’s waiting for you.’

“There was a big difference between the salary offered by Inter and what I asked for, so I amazed everyone at the table.
“I said, ‘let’s turn the missing part into team bonuses, if we win the Champions League within two years.’ Ten months later, we were European champions.

“Materazzi then messaged me saying, ‘if you come to Inter, we’ll win everything.’ I didn’t have his number in my address book so I asked [Demetrio] Albertini: ‘Is it yours?’

“It really was Marco’s. Such a thing had never happened to me in my whole career: that message carried great weight in my decision. And it gave birth to a friendship.

“President Moratti called me shortly after and, in perfect French, said to me: ‘Eto’o, trust me: you’ll have a great time at Inter, it’ll feel like home.’ He was right.”

Despite being one of Europe’s most clinical finishers in the 2000s, the 39-year-old is arguably best known for filling in at full-back against Barca in the Champions League semi-finals...

“I was only a proper full-back at Barcelona, but that was because of an emergency. And besides, what I thought that night was actually what I’d thought for the entire season.

“When Thiago Motta was sent off, Mourinho called me and Zanetti over. He explained to us how to position ourselves on the field: I didn’t even have time to think about how much I should’ve run, being out wide.

“I said to myself, ‘let’s give it my all and we’ll see what happens.’ At the end of the match, we were in the Final.

“I’ll always remember two things about that night [in London against Chelsea]. Mourinho’s speech before the game: ‘No team I’ve coached can beat me.’

“We entered the field with a different kind of determination: we weren’t only playing for ourselves but also for our coach.

“Then there was the stop I took before I scored. The ball dropped and I said to myself: ‘If you take it well, you’ll easily score.’ I still have that control in my eyes.

“My speech for the Final wasn’t long, I simply said: ‘A Final isn’t played, it’s won. We die on the pitch and bring the cup back to Milan, or we die because we don’t go back to Milan. Therefore, let’s go back and bring the cup with us’.”

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Triplete reunion in the age of Corona..

941 - 958 of 958 Posts