Xtratime Community banner

921 - 940 of 1002 Posts

·
Greta joke sharer
23,651 Posts
You guys read the sad story of Hakan Sukur? If not here it is:

My only memory of him is scoring in the derby when Di Biagio also scored a fk (while Abbiati was picking up oranges lolf)
Damn, that's brutal. I hope Hakan bounces back.

LOL, I had forgotten about oranges bit. :LOL:

·
Registered
45,005 Posts
Wow, poor guy.

Sukur's goal vs Milan was his biggest moment. But I remember others, like his winner vs Hertha Berlin, goal vs Roma and assist for Recoba vs Reggina.

As for Di Biagio, iirc, he scored a very similar long ranger vs Juventus before that game. Ball took a slight deflection in the wall (off Zidane's butt, I think).

·
Registered
59,221 Posts
I vaguely remember that when we signed him after Euro 2000 I was happy, he did well there iirc.

·
Registered
45,005 Posts
I vaguely remember that when we signed him after Euro 2000 I was happy, he did well there iirc.
He did. The big achievement was beating Arsenal to win the UEFA Cup that season. Don't think he scored in that game (won on pens) but he had a fantastic campaign.

He was amazing for Gala and the NT. And everywhere he went (even at Inter), people always seemed to say he was a very nice, humble dude. Apparently, he's pretty religious too...he was fasting for Ramadan while he was at Inter, I'm pretty sure.

·
Registered
45,005 Posts
We'd be a lot better off with him in the squad, tbh. But he wanted to leave.

From what I've read, Bayern doesn't want to exercise the option to purchase so everything is up in the air right now.

·
Registered
59,221 Posts
Conte ffs. Why couldn't he keep wingers in the squad and play 343 sometimes? Or is it 352 til death do us part? whatever happened to tactical variation, having more options, a plan b if plan a fails?

So inflexible.

The good thing about 343/3421 is that it would help the wingbacks combine with wide forwards.

Atalanta play with a front 3, why can't we?

·
Registered
59,221 Posts
FC Internazionale Milano announces that Matteo Politano has joined Società Sportiva Calcio Napoli. The 26-year-old, who scored six goals in 63 appearances for Inter after arriving in the summer of 2018, has joined the Partenopei on an initial two-year loan deal, with there being an obligation to buy thereafter.

The Club would like to wish Politano all the best for his future career.

---

Politano is now a Na-politano.

Watch him score and/or assist for Napoli against us later this season. You just know it WILL happen.

·
Registered
59,221 Posts
Duncan to Viola, loan with obligation to buy. He will be reunited with Benassi his former teammate at Inter.

Duncan è un nuovo calciatore della Fiorentina
31/01/2020 10:58

ACF Fiorentina comunica di aver acquisito, a titolo temporaneo con obbligo di riscatto, dall’ U.S. Sassuolo Calcio, i diritti alle prestazioni sportive del calciatore Joseph Alfred Duncan.

Duncan, nato ad Accra (Ghana) il 10 marzo 1993, è cresciuto nel Settore Giovanile dell’Inter ed ha successivamente indossato le maglie del Livorno, della Sampdoria e del Sassuolo, Club con il quale ha collezionato ben 130 presenze tra Serie A, Coppa Italia ed Europa League. Il nuovo calciatore della Fiorentina ha inoltre vestito in otto occasioni la maglia della Nazionale maggiore del Ghana.

·
Registered
59,221 Posts
Di Biagio: 'I'm not afraid'
By Football Italia staff

Luigi Di Biagio has revealed that he is looking forward to a “beautiful challenge” at SPAL and claimed “it won’t take much” to change the group’s mentality.
The former Italy U21 coach has no experience at club level and with SPAL currently at the bottom of Serie A, he admitted that it will be both “complicated” and “stimulating”.
Leonardo Semplici lost his job after a poor run of results, but has a great record at SPAL after bringing the club up from Serie C to A.
Di Biagio will succeed a highly successful coach in Ferrara, but the former midfielder said he approaches the job in hand without fear and that it was an easy decision to make.
“In the past two months, I have had the good fortune of being targeted by different clubs,” Di Biagio said at a press conference. “This opportunity came very quickly. It’s a beautiful challenge, complicated and stimulating.
“It doesn’t scare me, I’m not afraid. It really won’t take much to get in the heads of these lads and make them change their attitude.
“I had no doubts, I know the club, the facilities, the environment, the stadium and the players. This led me to say yes immediately.”
About his tactics in Ferrara, he would be open to change his preferred back four if needed.
“I will try to change it slowly. My way of playing is with four at the back,” he said. “But this doesn’t mean that we won’t play with three. I must put my lads in the best possible condition, I am optimising and will need to understand their characteristics.
“I will carefully evaluate these training sessions.”
SPAL will face a confident Lecce this weekend, as the Giallorossi arrive after beating both Torino and Napoli in their last two League matches.
“I like it. It will take time to change, but I don’t have time,” he added. “I have to conquer everyone immediately. I have no choice; I can’t dwell on other aspects.
“We welcome this game. We will immediately show that we are still alive.
“We have to try to score more goals, attack the opponents. We need to show conviction and go for the conclusion several times. We can’t be afraid. We will have to increase our danger with everyone, keeping our balance."

---

Lecce-Spal is huge really. Lecce are 7 points ahead, a win and they open a 10 point gap which practically relegates Spal as Lecce are 4th from bottom - And after that game Spal have juve, so looks quite bleak for Gigi. Doubt he will save them.

·
Registered
59,221 Posts
Zamorano: 'Special Conte'
By Football Italia staff

Former hero Ivan Zamorano has claimed Antonio Conte’s Inter are showing their “historic character” and said Alexis Sanchez could be “vital” in the Scudetto race.
The former Chile international drew parallels with Conte and his former coach Luigi Simoni and said they are both characters that are committed to “get something extra” from the squad.
“Conte has a special character,” he told Inter TV. “He always gets something extra from his players.
“I had a similarly great coach at Inter, Simoni was a very committed man.”
He backed up his point by highlighting the Derby della Madonnina, when Inter turned 0-2 down at half-time into a 4-2 win against Milan on Sunday.
“When you play a second half so different from the first, it’s obvious that the coach has the necessary touch, not just the players,” he said. “Conte has given something extra to his team, they represent the historic character of Inter.”
His compatriot Alexis Sanchez played a good game against Milan and the former striker said the Manchester United loanee has takes “a big step” under Conte.
“I liked seeing Alexis against Milan,” he added. “He was slowly getting back into shape and when he was in a good condition, he suffered an injury.
“But he remains a great player. It seems like he has taken important steps thanks to the faith from Conte.
“In the Scudetto race, Alexis will be vital. We have [Romelu] Lukaku and Lautaro [Martinez], but he too can give something important to the team.”

·
Registered
59,221 Posts
Kondogbia: 'Complicated at Inter'
By Football Italia staff

Geoffrey Kondogbia returns to Milan with Valencia and has opened up on his stay at Inter ahead of the meeting with Atalanta at San Siro.
After his move away from Inter in August 2017, the midfielder has established himself to become a key member at the Mestalla.
He came to Inter from Monaco two years prior and said his time with the Nerazzurri was “complicated” but an “experience” that has helped him develop into the player he is today.
“I have some friends there, like [Marcelo] Brozovic, [Samir] Handanovic or [Andrea] Ranocchia,” Kondogbia told the Gazzetta dello Sport. “The pleasure and experience of playing in a great club. I grew up as a player and turned into a man at Inter.
“It was difficult, with many changes at the bench with [Frank] De Boer, [Stefano] Vecchi and [Stefano] Pioli. It was a complicated environment, but the experience has served me."
The 27-year-old revealed that Luciano Spalletti wanted to keep him at the Giuseppe Meazza and explained that the former coach said he would “regret” moving away from Inter.
“He sent me a photo with a dedication,” he said. “He more or less said: ‘Good luck, but you will regret it’.
“I think it was a gesture of affection through a joke. I was very happy with Spalletti and the coach wanted me to stay. But I had already made my decision.
“I liked the project at Valencia and I came from two complicated years. I believed that things could change for me and so far, thank God, it went pretty well.
“We won a title after 11 years and in La Liga we have finished in the top four twice.”

---

You know, in a midfield 3 he could be useful on the left side..

·
Registered
59,221 Posts
Simeone: 'My two teams are doing well'
By Football Italia staff

Former hero Diego Simeone is “happy” to see his former clubs Inter and Lazio fight it out with Juventus in Serie A. “Two teams I love very much”.
The Argentine first came to Italy in 1990, when moved to Europe for a stint at AC Pisa. After a spell in La Liga, he returned to played for Inter and Lazio in the top tier.
The 42-year-old won the UEFA Cup with Inter and the Italian double with Lazio during his spell in Italy and the Atletico Madrid coach has revealed that he still follows the progress of his former clubs.
“Lazio and Inter are doing very well,” Simeone said at a press conference ahead of Atletico Madrid’s match against Liverpool tonight. “They are two teams I love very much.
“I’m happy they are fighting with Juventus, who have been winning continuously for years.”
Atletico host the reigning European champions at the Wanda Metropolitano tonight, when Liverpool return to Madrid for their first leg of the last 16 in the Champions League.

---

Big task, beating this Liverpool... especially as Atletico aren't doing that well in La Liga. 13 and 12 points behind the big 2 in Spain respectively, out of Copa... so CL is their last hope.

·
Registered
59,221 Posts
Brehme hails Young and Conte

By Football Italia staff

Inter legend Andreas Brehme is impressed with Antonio Conte and Ashley Young. “The English player is strong in technique and mentality.”

Brehme was part of the all-conquering Inter side of the late 1980s and early 1990s, playing in Young’s role of left-back.

“He’s a great player and has many years of experience in England,” Brehme told Inter TV.
“I think he’s a fine left-back, strong in technique and mentality.”

Does the German also see similarities between Conte and his own Nerazzurri coach Giovanni Trapattoni?
“Both wave their arms around constantly during matches. They work with sheer passion. Inter play good football, they held Atalanta 1-1 at home, who are a great team. I think they only really dropped points with Cagliari.

“It’s a pity they lost to Lazio at the Olimpico, but the season isn’t over yet. Inter play very, very well and still have a good chance.

“I always like coming back here to Milan, as I still have many friends here, including former teammates. I remember the chaos from the fans when we won the Scudetto with new records, and the UEFA Cup. There was such a great atmosphere.”

·
Registered
59,221 Posts
The Inter.it version is better, worth posting:

MILAN – Andy Brehme arrived at Inter HQ and immediately saw an image of himself, the one with his eyes on the ball, his hair in the wind and the Nerazzurri shirt on his back. Back in Milan, he is reunited with friends and former companions who accompanied him during his four seasons at Inter, which was glittered with three trophies: a Scudetto, a UEFA Cup and an Italian Super Cup. He comments: “Being back at Inter is wonderful, I still have many friends here. When I come back to Milan I often see Bergomi, Zenga and Ferri, we stay in touch on the phone and we always meet in a restaurant here in Milan. Trapattoni was very important for us but the group that was created was also very special, we were not only teammates but friends and there was a lot of camaraderie on and off the pitch that helped us win.”

His 154 Nerazzurri appearances with twelve goals helped build a great bond between himself and Inter that exists to this day: “Our group was exceptional, and this current squad is too. Inter always work to improve, to create something special. I like this team a lot, Handanovic is a great goalkeeper, the attacking duo is very strong, Young is a great player who’s fast and technically good having played many years in England.”

Finally, he commented on the last few matches and the upcoming challenges: “Conte’s team are playing well, I’ve watched almost all of the games and it’s a shame about the last couple, especially the Coppa Italia semi-final first leg against Napoli. However, I’m sure the Nerazzurri will have their say at the San Paolo. We need to play really well but if Inter play as they can, as they did in the first half against Lazio, then I’m sure they can do it. I remember when we played against Aston Villa, in the first leg in Birmingham we created four or five chances, but in the end we lost 2-0. Then we came back to Milan, played really well and completed the comeback by winning 3-0. That was a historic match.”

·
Registered
59,221 Posts
Official: Zenga new Cagliari coach
By Football Italia staff

Walter Zenga is officially the new coach of Serie A side Cagliari after Rolando Maran was fired, and he’ll work with youth team tactician Max Canzi.
The contract will run to June 2021, so the end of next season.
The former goalkeeper will turn 60 next month and his most recent job was with Serie C side Venezia, ending in dismissal a year ago.
Cagliari officially sacked Maran this morning after an 11-game Serie A winless streak saw them plummet down the table, along with a Coppa Italia exit.
Zenga was photographed at the training ground in Sardinia this afternoon and the announcement of his appointment was made this evening.
Since retiring as a player in 1999, Zenga has been on the benches of FC National, Steaua Bucharest, Red Star Belgrade, Gaziantepspor, Dinamo Bucharest, Catania, Palermo, Al-Nasr, Al-Jazira, Sampdoria, Al-Shaab, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Crotone and Venezia.

---

Good luck to Zenga.

·
Registered
59,221 Posts
Figo: 'Lukaku could score anywhere'
By Football Italia staff

Former Inter winger Luis Figo praised striker Romelu Lukaku, saying the Belgian “could score anywhere”.
Lukaku has thrived since arriving at San Siro from Manchester United last summer for €75m.
Lukaku has netted 23 times in all competitions for the Nerazzurri this season, and former Inter player Figo says he is impressed with the Belgian.
“He has been fantastic this year. He is happy, and I think you notice it,” Figo said to Belgian newspaper L’Avenir.
“He scores a lot, it helps if the team is solid and believe in their chances of winning the Scudetto.
“There are many differences between Serie A and the Premier League, but he doesn't surprise me.
“When you have a sense of goal like that, you will always score, even if you play in China.
“In theory, it is more difficult to score in Italy than in England, because there is less space and the teams are tactically stronger, but he is doing a great job.”

---

I think the picture is from a friendly game, as we last played a competitive/official match against Benfica in UEFA Cup 03-04 and this shirt Figo is wearing is that of 08-09, must be one of them pre-season tournaments. Eusebio trophy or something.

921 - 940 of 1002 Posts