Xtratime Community banner

Which EE team will go furthest at the WC?

• Croatia

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Poland

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Russia

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Slovenia

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The World Cup is only 22 days away :) EE has 4 representatives Croatia, Poland, Russia and Slovenia.

Vote for the team you think will go furthest and be sure to ELABORATE

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
I think all 4 will perform well, but I voted for Croatia, ahead of Russia. Both countries have strength in depth and can cope with injuries or suspensions. But Croatia has the most quality players and the most experience on the big stage.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I voted Russia. I find their group and their further schedule the easiest among EE teams. I won't be surprised if they reach at least quarter finals.

I thought that Croatia would be there as well, after beating Portugal in the 2nd stage... However, after the news of Tudor's injury, I'm not so sure about it :(

If Poland does qualify to the 2nd stage, which I hope is possible (despite some internal problems in the squad and terrible results of friendlies), we'll have to face Italy and it's difficult to believe we can beat them.

Slovenia... Well... I feel much liking for them, but I doubt whether thay are capable of making it to the 2nd round.

·
Registered
57,867 Posts
i voted for russia because they have really the easiest group and the easiest second stage, but i hope all of those 4 will go as far as possible:)

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Voted for Croatia. They have the most experience in WC and Euro competitions.
Slovenia can surprise too.
Poland will give it a good fight, they have some powerful players but not a lot of skill.
Russia - will dissapoint (in my opinion anyway):mad:

B

·
0 Posts
i voted for croatia , simply because out of those four i want them to go further the rest!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
i voted for russia for the resaons stated above, but they have always been unpredictable so who knows. i was gonna vote for poland cause whenever we have played in the world cup we have always had a good showing but this time theres a good chance we might not even get out of the group and even if we do we will probably be playing italy which of course will be very hard.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Croatia players to get 195,000 euros each for World Cup victory
ZAGREB, May 17 (AFP)
Croatia's World Cup squad will be on a win bonus of more than 195,000 euros per player (180,000 dollars) if they go all the way at this year's finals.
The Croatian Football Federation announced Friday that the squad would be paid 4.5 million euros in the event of victory in the football extragavanza.
Croatia, who reached the semi-finals of the last World Cup in 1998, will receive 100,000 euros if they reach the quarter-finals of the tournament, officials added.
Croatia are currently at a training camp in Austria and leave for Japan on Sunday.p

Another motivation for Croatia to succeed... I would say $195,000 per player is not bad at all since not all Croatian players earn as much as Suker...What do you guys think?

·
Banned
36,400 Posts
I think all of them earn more, at least in the starting 11 :)

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
I think Russia will make the quarter finals where they will bow out to Argentina. They have the easiest group of the 4 I reckon, and players like Titov, Mostovoi etc. are ready to shine.

S

·
0 Posts
We should begin to think about considering Japan, Korea and China as East European teams:D
In fact they are very far in the east:D

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
SzövKap said:
We should begin to think about considering Japan, Korea and China as East European teams:D
In fact they are very far in the east:D

SzövKap, I find that a little harsh…especially since your ancestors (the Huns) were not European either:D . Turkey is part of Europe…I mean if Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia are considered European, the Turks should be given that staus too…;) They are "naturalized" Europeans...:D

S

·
0 Posts
Marius said:

SzövKap, I find that a little harsh…especially since your ancestors (the Huns) were not European either:D . Turkey is part of Europe…I mean if Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia are considered European, the Turks should be given that staus too…;) They are "naturalized" Europeans...:D
Sorry for being harsh:)

But however, none of our ancestors were Europeans, if you want to have it like this, mankind comes from Africa originally, the Basks are in fact the oldest "Europeans".(at least their language)

But still, to me, East Europe in the meaning of the word is actually refering to those countries that were part of the former Communist empire, it is more a historic/social/cultural/political definition than a geographical one (whereby all those aspects were created in the 20th century). We have to live with that burden now as Eastern Europeans or so.
Turkey can be defined geographically and, also, culturally, as part of the East of Europe, as they left their traces in big parts of that area for a couple of centuries, or, let us express it like that:
big parts of East Europe are part of the ancient Turkish/Ottoman
cultural and political hegemony.

Just a question of definitions, isn't it?;)

But then, we should not only invite the Greeks and Turks to discuss East Europe subjects with us, but also all the Israelis in the forum (them even more) as they are mostly or many of them of East European origins. I have nothing against it, let's have a bigger community:) we are anyway not many around :(

So again, I didn't want to be harsh to anyone,
lots of apologize:)

And peace

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
of course i voted for Croatia, but I think that Slovenia will make a good showing. They have great stamina, and remember they came out of a group with Russia, Serbia, and switzerland, and then beat Romania in a playoff. not an easy feat.

but Croatia will go farther. ;)

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
SzövKap said:

Sorry for being harsh:)

But however, none of our ancestors were Europeans, if you want to have it like this, mankind comes from Africa originally, the Basks are in fact the oldest "Europeans".(at least their language)

But still, to me, East Europe in the meaning of the word is actually refering to those countries that were part of the former Communist empire, it is more a historic/social/cultural/political definition than a geographical one (whereby all those aspects were created in the 20th century). We have to live with that burden now as Eastern Europeans or so.
Turkey can be defined geographically and, also, culturally, as part of the East of Europe, as they left their traces in big parts of that area for a couple of centuries, or, let us express it like that:
big parts of East Europe are part of the ancient Turkish/Ottoman
cultural and political hegemony.

Just a question of definitions, isn't it?;)

But then, we should not only invite the Greeks and Turks to discuss East Europe subjects with us, but also all the Israelis in the forum (them even more) as they are mostly or many of them of East European origins. I have nothing against it, let's have a bigger community:) we are anyway not many around :(

So again, I didn't want to be harsh to anyone,
lots of apologize:)

And peace

Now that you put it that way, I totally agree. In my book, all x-communist countries that were on the east side of the Iron Curtain are East European. But nowadays you get a lot of people from Slovenia, Czech, etc. which are saying that they are not East European but rather Central European (Traitors!!:D)) Myself I am nore for the 'conservative' definition of Easter European. As for Turkey, as I mentioned before, they are only "honorary" East Europeans. So are the Israelis.

S

·
0 Posts
Marius said:

Now that you put it that way, I totally agree. In my book, all x-communist countries that were on the east side of the Iron Curtain are East European. But nowadays you get a lot of people from Slovenia, Czech, etc. which are saying that they are not East European but rather Central European (Traitors!!:D)) Myself I am nore for the 'conservative' definition of Easter European. As for Turkey, as I mentioned before, they are only "honorary" East Europeans. So are the Israelis.
Completely right;)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Croatia. I think they have the best squad of those 4.

WAQ, when will you get the picture.. Turkey is not Europe, comprende?

Israel isn't Europe either but they play with us because you can't let them play in the Middle East champions league now can you.. Europe kind of owes it to them too. :cool:

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Turkey is not Europen ehh I bet you I am one of the whitest looking people you will ever meet also Hungarians ancestars are the Hun Turks they are Turks their leader Attila is a Turk his name is a common ancient Turkish name. Turks have a big mark in the Eastern Europe history the OttomonTurks have conquered and ruled major parts of this area amd also nomadic Turkic groups have formed the countries Bulgaria and Hungary. Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, Kazakhistan, Krygzistan, Uzbekistan, and other istans were formed by Turks speak Turkish and are Turls ask them yorselves. Though in present day Bulgaria and Hungary o not speak Turkish they have a similar language but do not call them selves Turks anymore. Ther were many nomadic Turkic groups who migrated from Mongolia to East Europe. Today in Turkey there is no true Turk for we are all mixed I myself have Serbian, Albanian, Russian, Kafkaf(a.k.a. Cherkez), and Greek blood in me I am very mixed with all this only a small part of my family has true Turk blood that is from my Granfather from my fathers side this from a nomadic group of Turks coming from Mongolia though I do not know which one for ther were many(examples: Hun Turks, Ottomon Turks, Seljuk Turks, and Oguz Turks are the ones that come to my mind rught now) it is most possibly the Seljuk Turks or the Ottomon Turks. Turkey is a European country wether people admit it or not our culture is East European we are a Balkan country with a huge influence on ya people we will be in EU in the future maybe only then will the ignorance stop against Turkey. If Turkey is not Europe like I said many times Greece, Russia, Georgia, Armenia, Cyprus, and Azerbaijan are not Europe but they are and so are we. Whait a minute Greece?! Yes I said Greece with alll those Islands right next to Turkey and underneath considered Europe but the Island around them that are Turkish and the land just a few miles ahead of them are in Asia come on this is nonesense! Greek an Turkish culture is exactly the same there is the only difference we are mostly muslim they are mostly orthodox christians that is it! We eat the same exact food listen to mostly similar Mediterranean music mostley kids play football(soccer) and basketball as well as many other similarities. I guess this is enough from me for today. :dazed: :eek: :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts