Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Scudetto
23,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, as we all know our legendary captain Paolo Maldini will retire at the end of this season. Surely this summer our main target will for after a very long time, be a defensive player, and more specifically, a defender.

Add the fact that the recurring injuries that Nesta is suffering is not helping the team as well as also the inconsistent performances of Kaladze, a central defender should be the number one priority for the summer.

Who do you want Milan to sign? Can someone add a poll by the way?

In order of preference, this would be my list:

Cristian Zapata, 22, Udinese

Now this player seems to be (on these forums at least), the main Serie A defensive prospect. His main attribute to me would be his speed and also how he is comfortable on the ball. His style would remind one of Lillian Thuram, and I would not disagree. I'm not quite sure but he is able to play as RB as well, which could be handy. His current contract supposedly expires in 2010, so if he does not renew, he might leave this coming summer but expect all other Serie A clubs to be after him as well. Arsenal have also supposedly had a bid of €12m or so rejected for him last summer. The fact that we are never linked to him sort of worries me though.

Fabiano Santacroce, 22, Napoli

I admit I have rarely seen him play, but after seeing him play last Sunday, I believe the hype surrounding him has been justified. I would say his style is similar to that of Zapata's, in that they are comfortable on the ball and have a commanding presence in the backline. Considering also Lippi just gave him his first call up, he seems to be the real deal. Italy is seemingly lacking a good defensive prospect, and if Fabio proves to be one, I would like Milan to have him. Signing him could be a bit difficult though, as Napoli seem serious in rebuilding their reputation, and also because they just signed Fabio last January. But with money, anything goes.

Philippe Mexès, 26, Roma

We seem to be linked the most with Mexes and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he ends up here at Milan as he seems the most likely target, also because he supposedly has a clause in his contract that would allow him to leave for about €12m or so, I forgot the exact figure. I think he is a defender that has the potential to be great, but he seems to have a few bad games here and there, a bit inconsistent. His pretty-boy image would also probably suit Milan (Do you realize we almost always sign only good looking players? :eek::D.. okay Ronaldinho..). Signing him would also directly weaken a rival in the league, which is a reason I would think Roma would be reluctant to sell. They also always sell to Inter, and not us.

Alex Costa, 26, Chelsea

We have always been linked with Alex even since before he signed for PSV a few years ago. I think he would suit our team real nicely, even if his style of play is more of the bulldog type of defender instead of the elegant defenders we are more used to. Convincing him to sign for Milan shouldn't be that big of a problem I would assume. He isn't a guaranteed starter for Chelsea and only plays when Terry or Carvalho are unavailable. The fact that he is Brazilian is also a major pulling point. But convincing Chelsea is another matter. Even if someone like Ivanovic was so difficult for them to let go of, Alex would be harder. The power of the player is of course very strong, so if in the end Alex himself pushes for a transfer, we could see him here.

Sergio Ramos, 22, Real Madrid

Now I know this is a very unrealistic target, but if they can talk about Kaka, why can't we talk about Ramos? Anyway, supposedly he's having trouble at Real recently because of his contract and all. Berlu and Galliani have also spoken of Ramos a lot, and Ramos himself has spoken of Milan's interest with the customary "I'm proud to be linked with Milan but my mind is only for Real Madrid" kind of reply. His problems with Schuster lie with the fact that he is asked to operate on the right flank all on his own, and gets blamed when there are gaps after he doesn't return to his position quickly. If he joins Milan, he would be preferred as a CB I would assume, but considering he isn't even solid in the Liga, I wouldn't know how he would handle Serie A. But he is smooth on the ball, so maybe he can adapt himself to the league. Whatever it is, I still rate any possibility of signing him as close to nil.

Other possible targets:

Branislav Ivanovic (24, Chelsea)
Thiago Silva (24, Fluminese)

·
Registered
13,871 Posts
Very early for this. It will depend on Nesta a lot, but I guess Barzagli would be likely.

If the question is who I would want and it doesn't have to be too realistic, I'd like to see Kolo Touré or Chiellini.

·
Scudetto
23,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Barzagli? :wth:

He's gone to Germany, and has thus disappeared :D

We face him in the UEFA Cup though.

Also, why does it depend on Nesta? Maldini is retiring for sure.

·
Scudetto
23,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maldini already mentioned him as a good player :thumbsup:

But I think Juve still own him, though.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ramos or Zapata

·
Registered
13,871 Posts
Barzagli could be a realistic option actually because he is in Wolfsburg (thus probably not too expensive) and not so young. And has plenty of Serie A experience.

IMO it depends on Nesta because if Nesta does not prove to be able to be our main defender for years to come, we will need at least a Nesta sort of signing. If he proves this year that he is still physically the Nesta we know and need, we could do well with an improvement over Kaladze and Bonera. If he does not, the management will need to spend really big.

For instance, if Nesta rules this season, they could go for Ivanovic (who I have not seen play but is just a very good prospect apparently). If he does not, we would need a more experienced defender, one able to be the leader of the Milan defence immediately, or at least with a CV saying that he could.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Jani I really love your thread it rate's so well for a wonderful discussion:thumbsup::proud:,personally about the being linked with player's think I wouldn't bother so much you know as well as anyone paper's make storie's all the time.Remember the typical Milan way of signing player's in the past,you never heard anything the next day or when you jumped on line or before the net was around you heard bang Milan have signed such and such or meaning of course the one player.

well the defensive issue is quite serious Maldini is definitely retired,Sandro is going to have a real bastard of a time coming back,the 36 yr old Favalli well there's barely much time for him left also,Kaladze is another we just can't rely upon anymore.We have the Oddo issue of course but that will have to be something that how time goes by what we'll come up with.

P.S You saying we tend to sign alot of good looking player's,last night I saw a pic of the Jonas brother's and one tended to have some resemblance to Pippo lol!!

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Any of Mexes, Zapata or Santacroce would be a superb signing.

Ramos for the RB, if there's a chance anyway.. But with Calderon any stupid action by Madrid is highly likely, afterall he's the last player signed by Perez, got contract problems too..

As for Mexes bad games every now and then.. I think it's Roma that fvcks up every few weeks, not just Mexes so I wouldn't worry much about that..

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
Make me a favour and buy Gonzalo Rodriguez, so in that way there is no excuses to not call him for the NT...Gonzalo needs a big club ASAP...is a risk to buy a defender from Spain, but if he recalls his argie days, he will adapt with proper time...and if he doesn't? i don't think he will cost that much..unless Pellegrini gets mad a la Fergusson, he takes Gonzalo even to the bathroom...

·
18,041 Posts
Santacroce is playing in great form, but let him stay more in Napoli, he needs more time to get rough in Serie A and make the transition...if there is any way to assure an option on him, do it...

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Zapata is comfortably the best name out of that lot. Gonzalez is a pretty interesting idea, but I think we've given up on La Liga and Argie defenders since Ayala inexplicably failed with us.

·
18,041 Posts
well Guly won a title, Ayala failed (though I never really knew the extend of his failure) shit happens..Ithink that out of big clubs, and with the rsik of too many years in La Liga, still is a player to give a try...he ahs been more solid than almost any other defender in the last 5 years, and that is a lot, more considering his injuries...certainly Milan will mean NT for him, so do it!

1 - 20 of 197 Posts