Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know that in August, the speculation was rampid that Patrick Vieira was the next 'Galactico'. Apparently, Florentino Perez progressed negotiations to the point where a deal was struck between Arsenal and Real Madrid, but the only part that made the deal fall apart was the weekly wages of the contract. Perez refused to pay Vieira the same money as the offensive stars, the galacticos if you will. So instead, we ended up with Michael Owen.

My question to you all is where exactly do you think we would sit at the moment had we gotten Vieira instead of Owen?

Our DM situation would've seen:

--------Beckham----------Vieira-----------

Now while Beckham obviously has his short-comings, Vieira would more than make up for the lack of defensive responsibility there.

I personally think we'd be:

- 1st in La Liga(ahead of Barcelona, that's how much a class DM would mean to us)
- 1st in CL

Agree or disagree?

How important would Vieira have been to our club?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Personally don't know whether Real will be in the number 1 position or not if they had Vieira. This is because Barcelona also looks like a great team with a great coach. But certainly i think the gap will be much closer and even if Barcelona do lead Real in La liga it will be down to their own quality and not because of Real's lack of quality like the current situation.

Yes i sincerely believe Vieira will have bought balance to the team. I think Real could have played like they played 2 years back when they had makalele when they produce some amazing football. Last time Zidane, figo, Ronaldo, Raul took more risks in their game as they know they could afford to lose the ball as they have cover at their back in the form of Makalele. Now u seldom see them take risks and it is affecting their game. One of the reason Reals defence concede less than last year is the forward player play a less risky game. Even though Real concede less now it doesn't mean they have improved. They only sacrificed their forward play to compliment the defence. It doesn't balance out. Viera could have been the balancing act Real badly need. He could have shore up the defence and let the attackers play more freely. Defensive midfield is a very importatnt position if not the most important position in modern football. And having one of the best player in that position in Vieira certainly will have helped madrid cause.

But i prefer a midfield combination of Viera and Helgure/Guti. Or Vieira with zidane in middle and solari on the left. Beckham is a waste of space in the middle..

But now that u can't get Viera. What do u think of buying Mark van Bomell. I think he was outsatnding in the PSV and Arsenal game...

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
I really doubt one player would change the whole team performance, the only players I can see making a difference in the table is strikers since they are the ones getting the goals. A DM however would be good for stopping goals... which Real funnily enough have done ok with (except when Samuel plays).

If you had him instead of Owen, I think you would be lower in the table not higher due to the goals scored. At best Vieira would have earned a couple of points. Which is extremely optimistic seeing how he has conceeded in nearly every game, been sent off and in general not been that effective in the DM role (crytsal palace for example). He also wouldn't be captain so perhaps would put in even lesser performances, not to mention the fact he can't speak Spainish so bossing the defence around seems less likely (although a few speak English). Then there is the fact he was injured to start with. Plus the price comparison, effectiveness and age between Owen and Vieira is a steal really. Personally I'd rather have someone like Gattuso anyway.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Vieira and Beckham you'd still not be completely controlling midfields, but with Vieira and Helguera would be more the ticket, you'd be much better.

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
I don't think there will be much improvements, Vieira would have probably made us end atleast 2 games with 10 players. He is a great player, superb player, needed ALOT at the club but he wasn't going to make a miracle, plus he is old, 28!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Real_Madrid said:
I don't think there will be much improvements, Vieira would have probably made us end atleast 2 games with 10 players. He is a great player, superb player, needed ALOT at the club but he wasn't going to make a miracle, plus he is old, 28!
Nobody is talking about Vieira making a big miracle. Real are second in the table and have several world class players in their team. Only the team is not in the right balance. And a quality player like Viera should easily make the team more balanced. With makalele Real looks far convincing as a team. Vieira is a far better player than makalele. The team needs balance not a miracle.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Honestly?

We would be first in the Champions League, because with Vieira we wouldn't have lost 0-3 in Leverkusen.

However, I think we would still be second in the league (although a lot closer than trailing Barca by seven points, maybe two or three points).

First of all, let us make one thing clear: Barcelona have been awesome this season. They have the right attitude, the best formation, are very well coached and have been the best team in Europe by far if you ask me. Who else in Europe has completely outplayed the opposition every game this season, including making Milan look like they belong in Serie C?

Signing Vieira would have improved the overall balance of the squad considerably, but would that necessarily have made us play better ?

Would signing Vieira stop Raul Bravo looking like he was a schoolboy in Bilbao? Would signing Vieira stop Carlos from sucking so much? Would it have improved Beckham and his haircuts? Would it would make Zidane a couple of years younger?

If we are going to be competitive in the league and the Champions League this season, the only logical answer that I can think of is signing Javier Mascherano. He is only 20 years old, but has all the attributes of a quality DM who could dominate for years (versatility, power, tackling ability, stamina, great headering ability, pace, discipline etc) and he would obviously be available for Champions League football. Robinho is amazing, but at the moment Mascherano is the one we should be pushing for as he would be the perfect solution to our problems.

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,495 Posts
Vieira is not having a good season this year!!!

---------------beckham------Vieira--------------

what do you want me to say? this would have been better...but let's keep in mind how poorly david beckahm plays in that position...so therefore there is no guarantee Vieira would have make us a stronger team.

-------------------------Helguera/Celands---------Vieira------------------

now that's much better!

·
Registered
78 Posts
El Fenómeno. said:
Honestly?

We would be first in the Champions League, because with Vieira we wouldn't have lost 0-3 in Leverkusen.

However, I think we would still be second in the league (although a lot closer than trailing Barca by seven points, maybe two or three points).

First of all, let us make one thing clear: Barcelona have been awesome this season. They have the right attitude, the best formation, are very well coached and have been the best team in Europe by far if you ask me. Who else in Europe has completely outplayed the opposition every game this season, including making Milan look like they belong in Serie C?

Signing Vieira would have improved the overall balance of the squad considerably, but would that necessarily have made us play better ?

Would signing Vieira stop Raul Bravo looking like he was a schoolboy in Bilbao? Would signing Vieira stop Carlos from sucking so much? Would it have improved Beckham and his haircuts? Would it would make Zidane a couple of years younger?

If we are going to be competitive in the league and the Champions League this season, the only logical answer that I can think of is signing Javier Mascherano. He is only 20 years old, but has all the attributes of a quality DM who could dominate for years (versatility, power, tackling ability, stamina, great headering ability, pace, discipline etc) and he would obviously be available for Champions League football. Robinho is amazing, but at the moment Mascherano is the one we should be pushing for as he would be the perfect solution to our problems.
Yes i agree with u that signing Vieira would not neccesarily have made the team players become better although it would have brought more balance to the team. But at least by being more balanced team the players would have more freedom to do their things. So we may not see the zidane of 2 years back but he would have more oppurtunity to express himself in the opposing end of the field knowing everything is fine at the back. I mean he could take a risk or two with his game.

And Mascherano would be an excellent signing. What a player...

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My reasoning behind why I think that Patrick Vieira would've put us in a much better situation is because our most glaring weakness is the connection between the back-four and the midfield. Vieira is arguably better at linking the two positions than anybody else in the world, and could certainly be considered a 'Galactico' for what he does.

This season, we've tried a number of different combinations from Guti and Celades to Guti and Beckham, to Beckham and Celades, and even the Helguera as a DM tenure with Camacho at the reigns. None of this has worked all that well, but Vieira would easily be far superior in this aspect than any of the aforementioned players.

·
Merengue Argentino
2,078 Posts
I thought that the reason why Vieira didn't become a merengue was because he did notwant to leave arsenal.

anyways...

If we had Vieira, I believe that we would sit atop La Liga and be through to the next round of the Champions League.

In almost every match this season our midfield has been raped.

This would probably be the opposite with Vieira. Patrick totally controls every Arsenal game.

It would have been a dream with Vieira. Maybe we can get almost as good Steven Gerrard next summer.

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
Where would we be if makelele would have stayed with us?

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
zzmagic said:
Personally don't know whether Real will be in the number 1 position or not if they had Vieira. This is because Barcelona also looks like a great team with a great coach. But certainly i think the gap will be much closer and even if Barcelona do lead Real in La liga it will be down to their own quality and not because of Real's lack of quality like the current situation.
If you think we're leading La Liga because of Real's lack of quality, you're a mumbling idiot. Seriously, you guys never cease to baffle me.

Pointless thread. I would think that these "what-if" discussions are beyond some of the older members of this forum. Apparently not.

Where would you sit? I'll refrain from answering that in favor of not using profanity.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Marc said:
I really doubt one player would change the whole team performance, the only players I can see making a difference in the table is strikers since they are the ones getting the goals. A DM however would be good for stopping goals... which Real funnily enough have done ok with (except when Samuel plays).

If you had him instead of Owen, I think you would be lower in the table not higher due to the goals scored. At best Vieira would have earned a couple of points. Which is extremely optimistic seeing how he has conceeded in nearly every game, been sent off and in general not been that effective in the DM role (crytsal palace for example). He also wouldn't be captain so perhaps would put in even lesser performances, not to mention the fact he can't speak Spainish so bossing the defence around seems less likely (although a few speak English). Then there is the fact he was injured to start with. Plus the price comparison, effectiveness and age between Owen and Vieira is a steal really. Personally I'd rather have someone like Gattuso anyway.

dude i know ur english so ur supprting ur player... but lets be serious... owen or viera..... VIERA!!!!

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
but opn the post.. yea too late for what ifs.. for once i agree wit barca rule

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
Barca Rule said:
If you think we're leading La Liga because of Real's lack of quality, you're a mumbling idiot. Seriously, you guys never cease to baffle me.

Pointless thread. I would think that these "what-if" discussions are beyond some of the older members of this forum. Apparently not.

Where would you sit? I'll refrain from answering that in favor of not using profanity.
You should read zzmagic's post again carefully, BarcaRule. I think you've got him totally false. ;)

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
lili said:
You should read zzmagic's post again carefully, BarcaRule. I think you've got him totally false. ;)
I thought so at first, lili. But being the prudent person that I am :))), I made sure that I understood correctly. I quote the man:

"and even if Barcelona do lead Real in La liga it will be down to their own quality and not because of Real's lack of quality like the current situation."

·
Registered
78 Posts
Barca Rule said:
I thought so at first, lili. But being the prudent person that I am :))), I made sure that I understood correctly. I quote the man:

"and even if Barcelona do lead Real in La liga it will be down to their own quality and not because of Real's lack of quality like the current situation."
Barca Rule, i don't mind if u called me an idiot if i really bashed up barcelona. I seriously think i only gave the biggest compliment to Barca with my comments and u still call me an idiot for it. And i seriously doubt now whether u are the real idiot.

Read my comments carefully. U cannot deny that Reals lack of quality must have contributed to the way the league table looks like now. I mean everyone can see that Real don't play like 3 years ago. No doubt Barca are top of the league because of their own superb team but Real's lack of form should be one of the factors for the current situtation. I never said it was the only factor that made Barca top the league right now.

So i said the signing of Vieira would have helped Real to reach the level they were three years ago (only my opinion). At that level three years ago i thought Real were the best team in the world. Even if Real reach that level, i said that it is doubtful whether Real will be top of the league because the current Barca team is on par with the Real of three years ago (which in other word means Barca are now can be considored to be the best team in the world). What more compliments i could have given to your Barca? And how u interpreted my coments to mean i criticised Barca of lacking quality is beyond me.

I criticised one of the posters here El Fenemeno's favourite player Beckham to the maximum. Even then El Fenemeno never came up and called me an idiot but instead he came up with his facts to back up his opinion on Beckham. He has his opinion and i have mine and i respect that. Even if he had called me an idiot i would have understood that because i really did criticise beckham to the max and any fan of his would have been pissed off. But in ur case i was called and idiot by u after giving the biggest compliment to ur team and i really can't stop laughing right now....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts