Xtratime Community banner

Where is Israel going to finish its Euro 2008 Qualifying group

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The usual question, what dissapointment or joy are we in for this time?

·
Registered
145 Posts
i say we lose out on the last round and end up third... thats just the way every "campaign" ends for israel in the past few years...

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
It will be tough, but with Kashtan bringing the right players and with our group being more equal i belive we stand a chance to reach the second place. Croatia is a bit dissapointed with their WC campaign and if we play them right we could do it, Russia technically is inferior to our side, but they will have Guss Hiddink and this is why i put them as a contender again. Well England are definitely favourites with a great team and motivated with a new coach.

·
Registered
249 Posts
berko said:
It will be tough, but with Kashtan bringing the right players and with our group being more equal i belive we stand a chance to reach the second place. Croatia is a bit dissapointed with their WC campaign and if we play them right we could do it, Russia technically is inferior to our side, but they will have Guss Hiddink and this is why i put them as a contender again. Well England are definitely favourites with a great team and motivated with a new coach.
the key is taking maximum points from all the weaker teams

macedonia
estonia
andorra

israel can beat any team at home including england

but we can simply tie all the games against tougher opponents like we did in WCQ06

we need to win

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
eli225 said:
the key is taking maximum points from all the weaker teams

macedonia
estonia
andorra

israel can beat any team at home including england

but we can simply tie all the games against tougher opponents like we did in WCQ06

we need to win
Yes i agree, we need to beat all the weaker teams at home we need to beat at least Croatia and Russia who are in theory our oponents for second place and try to sneak a victory away from them. Knowing our NT we know it will be hard to happen, but at home i believe we will end unbeaten.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think we have a right to be optimistic. I think some very good young players will be introduced like Arbeitman and Colautti, Awatt may be back in goal, and if Benayoun and Ben Haim can stay clear of injuries we have a chance. We also still have the advantage of the Greece factor because know one else in the group will be expecting much. I only think we have to defend better from crosses and be more clinical next to the goal. This England team on paper should win the group but the new manager Mclaren was the man behind much of what happened in Germany, i.e the team sucked big time. It is a team with many weaknesses so Israel should not be afraid. Kadima Israel

·
Registered
249 Posts
do you guys think this format of qualifacation is better for israel???

this is a really interesting question

before the groups were way easier to qualify for

france slovenia israel cyprus malta

spain israel austria etc..

this made it much easier to qualify because the groups were smaller and there werent as many quality teams in each group

the first team would qualify automatically and the second would go into a playoff

israel losing to denmark 8-0 on aggregate in a playoff for euro 2000

now the groups are tougher and to make the competition better quality of play

uefa decided to make less groups and the top 2 teams in each group qualify automaticalll with the 3rd place teams getting nothing and no playoff system required

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
i have no idea.......

i wish i knew but the truth is that i don't know who kashtan will call up, so far i'm not impressed, i expect him to push for more friendlies and call up the young talents and see how they perform for the NT, that way he'll have an idea of who to call, because we can't call up the same players we had in the WCQ to the Euro 2008. I can't say but i think we'll finish third

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
The weaker teams aren't so weak as the NT used to

So before we look at the 2nd place and thinking about Russia and Croatia, we better worry about not losing points against Macedonia and Estonia

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
I think that unlike our other matchup, this one will not be in insane ties. Rather in other means...

If we lose to say Croatia...
but Croatia will tie to Macedonia...a team which we may win twice...

so anything can happen....
Croatia and Israel will definately go for 2nd, but i cannot promise that England will do the same...

but i dont think we should ignore the easy teams. We play two easy games away in september...

CRUSH THEM LIKE CRAZY!!!
i want 2 games and 10goals minimum :stuckup:

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
Tooner14 said:
I think you guys better get your heads on straight and realize that Russia will be no pushover. You might not even draw with them.

It won't be easy for them either. In recent results actually we have beaten them. If they haven't Guus Hiddink i would say we would be ahead of them, but now they have serious chances to qualify. If we manage to play our home matches in Israel we have a chance.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
berko said:
It won't be easy for them either. In recent results actually we have beaten them. If they haven't Guus Hiddink i would say we would be ahead of them, but now they have serious chances to qualify. If we manage to play our home matches in Israel we have a chance.
I never said it would be, but a poster called Russia inferior and that is most definitely not the case.

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I consider Russia favorites for second, I'm probably not the only one. The talent is there, the Hiddink factor is too. Croatia are still trying to recover from the world cup dissapointment. New coach, old faces go, Prso just retired, etc.

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
Despite Russia having Guus Hiddink i think Croatia still has strength and team to be at the second place. The qualifyers will be completely different from what we saw at the WC. Some players will change, new coaches for more than half of the teams in our group. It is difficult to predict. But we definitely have a chance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Raanan said:
I consider Russia favorites for second, I'm probably not the only one. The talent is there, the Hiddink factor is too. Croatia are still trying to recover from the world cup dissapointment. New coach, old faces go, Prso just retired, etc.
Will Russian Jews in Israel support Russia or Israel? Russian Jew Soccer Fanatics in the USA (i.e. me) support Israel!!!

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's a good question, I know they still support their old Russian teams, everytime Lokomotiv etc. come to play they get massive support. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts