Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still think we'll win this group. We have a great team, and Keane made it better but I see us drawing or beating the Cameroon and the same with Germany and beating the Saudis. That's a max of 9 points and a minimum of 5. I can see Germany going home early, i believe it's between them and Cameroon for second place.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think that Ireland have a good chance of winning this group and defiently coming second but I do think that germany will qualify. I think that what Keane has done is 1 of the worst ever. Matt Holland and Mark Kinsella will do the job and Lee Carsley not the most gifted player will break sum1 up if needed.

COME ON THE REPUBLIC OR IRELAND !!!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I can't predict the Cameroon game but a win over S. Arabia is a given and I think we should win against Germany. If we place first we face Paraguay who I think we can beat. If we go second we play Spain. If Spain decides to choke in the quarters as oposed to the round of 16 ;) we could be in trouble. But on the other hand we are giant killers so who knows. If we go second and got past Spain we might face Portugal. And with 2 draws in qualifying it would be 2 close to call. The next wrung would be Italy. If we got first and beat out Paraguay we'd probably face Italy in the quarters and that would probably be it for us.

I think we can make it out of the group. On the one side (Spain) we could go home, go to the quarters or the semi's. On the other side we'd likely make it to the quarters and no further.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Personally I'd be a bit dissapointed if we didn't make it to the quarters. I want to surprize some people. :)

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
We'll sneak a 1-0 win against the Germans, a nil-all draw with Saudi Arabia is on the cards (we've got to keep our record of being involved in teh most boring game in the World Cup after Egypt in '90 and Norway in '94) and Cameroon will edge it over us in a tight match, 2-1. Then it's bye-bye.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
No, I can still se us taking this group through 1st place. Keane wasn't the whole team, a big part maybey but we still have the other lad's and they are just as good. Steve will be an awsome Captain.

·
Registered
547 Posts
"Steve will be an awsome Captain."

I just can't agree with that - he pales into TOTAL insignificance when put alongside Keane. Keane is (or was) THE most inspirational captain in International football... Now we have a dour, moderately talented centre half taking his place... Inspirational ? Hardly.

It just won't be the same without Roy on the end of that line up with his steely, determined stare. The look in his eyes before a match would send a shiver up your spine - I hate to think what effect it has on the opposition. The effect it has on his team mates(and many fans) is to instill the belief that the team is actually capable of beating anyone after all...

There are those who do not like Keane - they never have, but no one can deny the impact he has on the team. We may still do well in this tournament but when the push comes to shove, I don't think there will be enough belief in this squad, without Keane, to triumph over the better teams.

Can anybody honestly tell me that Ireland would have achieved the results against Portugal/Holland without Keane??

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
"Keane is (or was) THE most inspirational captain in International football..."

Considering his behavior and not just the recent stuff I'd hardly call him the most inspirational captain. Hagi never abandoned his team no matter how much he hated the situation. There have been many inspirational captains in International history, Roy WON'T go down as one of them.

As far as Steve is concerned I'm not so sure myself either. I don't think we should start Steve every game and a captain should be a starter. I don't think captaincy is as important for our team since we are a cohecive unite. Hey who was the captain during the exhibitions when Roy was out?

·
Registered
547 Posts
I do not hold Keano responsible for this whole mess... You have to remember, he didnt walk out on Ireland - he was kicked out by McCarthy - it takes two to tango.

After seeing the Keane interview I fully support Keano - all he is guilty of is shooting his mouth off. Everybody judged Keane on what was in the press but that was only one side of the story... he claims McCarthy said tha he faked injury so as not to travel to tehran for the second Iran game.

After the interview was broadcast on RTE many people who had been critical of Keane changed their tune... In the Joe Duffy phone in show EVERYBODY was backing Keane...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Apparently **** never said he faked injury. He asked him why he missed so many friendlies and why he did'nt travel to Tehran (a question I asked myself at the time as well). Remember Keane played the saturday after the Tehran game. Keane read something into the question and exploded.

All this is spin at is lowest level.

The players did'nt want him there and as Quinn said yesterday, when all is said and done is was Roy Keane who caused all this and the blame lies firmly at his feet. What Joe Duffy (go on go on) and the aul wans who listen to his "show" have to say is neither here nor there , in fact its irrelevent. As are the opinions of some of the fools who I have to share an island with (I wont call them Irish cos they put a prima donna before the country).

·
Registered
547 Posts
Badge said:
Apparently **** never said he faked injury. He asked him why he missed so many friendlies and why he did'nt travel to Tehran (a question I asked myself at the time as well). Remember Keane played the saturday after the Tehran game. Keane read something into the question and exploded.
Get real Badge. If the manager had to ask why he missed the Tehran game in front of the whole team, 6 months after it happened, then it is bloody clear what he was insinuating.

Badge said:
What Joe Duffy (go on go on) and the aul wans who listen to his "show" have to say is neither here nor there , in fact its irrelevent. As are the opinions of some of the fools who I have to share an island with (I wont call them Irish cos they put a prima donna before the country).
If that is your honest a opinion then you are the biggest fool of all my friend. Only someone who is pitifully arrogant would come out with a statement like that.

We all appreciate how highly you value your own opinion but others don't view your opinion as the glorious statement of actual fact that you seem to.

Many people want Roy Keane to play football and aren't bothered by what his personality is like and what he said to whoever - They just want to get Roy on the pitch - Is that not what is most important?? Unfortunately that did not happen and to say the players did not want him back is patently not true.

They issued their statement because they read the transcript of the interview and felt that they had to re-iterate their backing of the manager because no apology was in the text. But Quinn revealed that they all REALLY wanted him to come back but felt they had no option but to back McCarthy in the circumstances.
- Jesus - he even said himself that he was woring overtime behind the scenes to arrange his re-instatement into the team.

You obviously just don't like Roy Keane and that seems to be clouding your judgement of this whole fracas...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If it were just his personality and attitude but not put into such actions it would be fine. Roy may have been kicked out technically but it was his own bloody fault, he can come up with as many excuses and justifications as he wants but its all meaningless. As if he didn't know what the result would be. There are some things you just don't do. He abandoned us firstly by being a total SOB (by the way I'm not completely convinced he didn't know what he was doing when he blew up.) and secondly all he had to do was have a private discussion with **** on the phone and despite his actions he would be forgiven and would be back. He didn't do it, he abandoned us again. He doesn't give a sh!t about Irish soccer, he's a selfish [email protected]@rd and as it says in my signature he can go to hell.

Oh yes and GOOOOOOOO EIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Brian Clough said he would have sent him home...in a box.

Charlton wont even say his name.

**** sent him home

The players did'nt want him back

Do I detect that Roy is not the most popular with people he's worked with.

btw a family member played and roomed with him years ago
(when he roomed with fellow humans). He did'nt think much of him either.

Now the World Cup has started and he's not there. End of story.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts