Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About our football in general, what level do you think it is at, at the minute, I personally feel our NT should be top 8 in europe, while after Partizan made CL, i expect the top 2 to carry on that trend.
Our U21s have became quite a team, some great talent but they have the continuity that our football lacks, if we can get stability in our football, I see us rising again, to Europe's elite, it will msot likely take time due to economic reasons etc. But we keep on producing quality players, players with great technique and players that are always popular across Europe. There were 50 Serbs playing in the CL, okay that was mainly down to Partizan but that doesn't even equate to half.
Our league seems stronger this year with greater depth and attendances seem to be up from recent years, if this carries on, we may well have a rebirth in our football after the shit we've had to put up with the last 12 years.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
In our immediate area I believe that only the Czechs have a stronger league. Our league has improved greatly however as a national entity we have been most disappointing. I hope I'm wrong but I see us struggling to make WC 2006. Our mentality has always been questionable as has nepotisim in regards to the picking of certain players. I think that the key is to keep making the CL, which will further enhance our credibility and entice the younger players to stay in our league for that little bit longer. A strong domestic league is needed to create a strong national side.

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But look at Partizan, they made the CL, yet have lost Matthaus, West, Ilic, Delabasic and Duljaj in the space of 2 months, while previous to that sold Lazovic and Vukic. That's half a team, yet they brought in veterans like Drulovic and Mirkovic, these players are good to work with younger players and add experience to the side but Partizan went the wrong way about it. I believe CL football gives exposure to our football and then players are sold on straight away, Delabasic for example i doubt he'd have went to Mallorca if it weren't for his 3 goals in the CL or Ilic going if it weren't for his performances in CL where he got glowing references for the game against Real in Belgrade all be it missing that sitter.
If Zvezda were to make the CL, almost certainly players would go, clubs need the money, players like the money, clubs can buy our players for cheap, therefore mass exodus of players. That's what baffles me about the new marakana project, who the hell is going to fund it. it's not going to be cheap.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
You have a valid point Dusane, It seems that its a Catch 22 situation. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Thats what happens when your all but an ant in a field of Giants such as the EPL, Seria A and la Liga.

·
Registered
40,650 Posts
The league is improving and slowly becoming more competitive, there are no longer routine 5-0 wins for the big 2 every week or so. They actually struggle against teams like Napredak and Borac. Our U21's are made up of a great deal of players playing for the somewhat smaller sides in the league. All good signs but they should still lower the number of teams to 12 which would increase quality even more.
I'd also like to see some teams with traditional support back in the first league instead of teams like Kom and Buducnost BD. Teams like Radnicki Nis, R. Kragujevac, Buducnost, Proleter Zrenjanin and Spartak Subotica would make the league far more interesting with old rivalries and bigger crowds.
But today only teams with good management have success. It's high time to get out all these corrupt chairmen and bring in people who know how to run a business, cause like it or not, football has become business.
Our NT now has a stable coach who should do well with the players available to him IMO. Our 2 wins against Wales and a great match against Italy certainly surprised me compared to the pathetic crap we saw against Azerbeidjan and Finland away. Petkovic wants to do it with the youth and I support that the full 100%.
Things aren't as bad as they were but we're still far from where we should be, but it seems there's finally light at the end of the tunnel. :)

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Would love to see Proleter back, but they must change their name. The name is nearly as Communist as Partizan.
;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts