Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
46,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Totti is without any doubt one of the best italian players if not the best, but his behaviour on the pitch is often disgraceful. Yesterday in a long interview he talked about referees, Juventus, Capello, Cassano, Del Piero but he did not even think to make a bit of self-criticism. As an Italian and a supporter of Totti whenever he wears the shirt of Italy I'm a bit worried. If he can't understand when he is wrong he will never improve his character. The consequences of his spit to the Danish player had to be a lesson, but after quite one year what I see is that nothing has changed, on the contrary, Totti has already been protagonist of many more bad episodes.
What will happen in the next world cup if the opponent provokes him? I bet he will react...

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
No one reacts when Gattuso plants his elbow in the face of Giggs. I thought it was an accident, but if that was Totti, we'd have an armageddon now. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
46,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thotobald said:
No one reacts when Gattuso plants his elbow in the face of Giggs. I thought it was an accident, but if that was Totti, we'd have an armageddon now. :rolleyes:
Thotobald, come on! There is a huge difference between the behaviour of Gattuso and the behaviour of Totti on the pitch. I'm not sayig that Gattuso is a saint, but Totti's behaviour is beyond contempt in too many games. The fact that in my opinion Gattuso did not elbowed Giggs on purpose is not even that relevant. What matters is that Totti is considered in the world the Italian player n.1, he is the image of Italian football in the world. This is a serious responsibility! I do not say that he should be upright, he is not Robin Hood, but he should try to be at least decorous! What he did in the game vs Juventus was far from decorous... what he did to Ledesma too. Even Zeman reprimanded his behaviour...
what he says in the interviews is not worthy of the best Italian player, rather of a biased supporter, but he can't behave like an ultras! He should be banned and fined for his behaviour on the pitch and fined for his interviews outside the pitch. He is a threat for the public order. can someone stop him before something bad happens?

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
ToniSamp said:
what he did to Ledesma too. Even Zeman reprimanded his behaviour...
When Cassano punches Chiellini it's because he's a psycho, when Ledesma punches Totti it's because he brought it on himself (not saying he didn't, he most likely did - and it worked so I have no problem with it), but it's a double standard. Cassano and Totti are easy targets because of their off pitch persona, I realize this. And yes, I see the problem very clearly with Totti and how he's not the greatest rolemodel.

But still...I prefer to be dazzled by the amazing things players like that can do - Romario, Cassano, Totti, Maradona, the late Sivori. I like to see all of them for what they could do with a ball, not because they might have a faulty character in person. Take the good with the bad, sort of.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
I understand a lot of people care about fair play on the pitch, but it's not my thing. Then you can go from there and figure how much I emphasize Totti's disciplinary problems; I don't care at all, actually I'm fascinated by it. Football is not about making friends. Those who are looking for so-called rolemodels can gather around Maldini. Totti never was a classic rolemodel. What makes him a rolemodel, is the dedication he has for Roma.

·
Registered
46,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, **** off the fair play then... but there is another problem.
He is a player of the Italian NT and the opponents know that it's sufficient to provoke him and the job is done: the best player of Italy will be sent off.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
ToniSamp said:
Ok, **** off the fair play then... but there is another problem.
He is a player of the Italian NT and the opponents know that it's sufficient to provoke him and the job is done: the best player of Italy will be sent off.
now if you're a supporter of Italy, that's a bonafide problem. don't see any solution though, he is a spoilt bastard. he won't change all of a sudden.

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Ringhio Capitano will cool things down ;)

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Totti will never grow up, that is the problem. He thinks he's better than anybody and when everything goes wrong he blames everybody and everything but himself- Juve, refs, his shoes....whats next?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Never.

He should leave Rome, the city (where he is born) and the team.

But i think he will never change.

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
Well the man is one of the few to say the TRUTH about Italian football. His comments this week will get him fined, but at least he is honest, unlike most players. Also, besides the spitting incident, has his "attitude" ever got him thrown out of a game? NO. He got the red card for the "dive" in WC2002 because the ref was out to get Italy.

Cassano's behavior is 10 times worse than Totti's so this thread should be about him. I don't see Totti picking players off the ground and removing them from the field like Cassano did with Camoranesi last weekend. Of course, Camoranesi was wasting time and faking injury, but Cassano should not have picked him up and got him off the pitch. Also, I never saw Totti walk away from practice not to be found for days cause he was "insulted"...thats Cassano's thing. I never saw Totti attack refs and give them the "horns" and get red carded in a Coppa Italia FINAL no less. I never Totti breaking flag poles for yellow cards either.

Totti has a temper, yes. When you are the most fouled player in Serie A for the last 5 years, maybe things get to you ya know. I am positive that Totti will be on his best behavior in WC2006. You guys are making him out to be worse than he is.

And Totti is a role model off the field. He is a model citizen, he is the spokeperson for UNICEF, writes books that makes fun of HIMSELF to raise money for charity, and meets dying children and injured soldiers from Iraq. Please, do not judge Totti OFF of the field.

·
Registered
46,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Romanista, I'm not judging Totti OFF the field for matters which are different from football. I'm sure that he is a good fellow in the end, we could even drink a beer together in the pub and I could find him a nice person...
I'm judging Totti just for things strictly related to football and with no intention to bash either the man or the player (I consider him the best Italian player). What I'm saying is that he should remember that he can be a model for many young people when he is on the pitch and that he is a player of the Italian NT, which is a responsibility towards all the Italians.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Totti does some great things and some poor things on and off the field. I would like to say I remember a game (can't remember when) but Roma was losing and time was running down and the opponents had a throw in and as the person threw it in another ball came into play and instead of taking the free throw Totti gave it back to the other team. Totti is arrogant and slightly impetous but he has done some good things as well. I think he wore a shirt that said to free the Journalist for Il Manifesto in Iraq and that partly influenced one of the Roma fan captors. I think he is a good man at heart but what we get now is what we will get later on and who knows maybe he will mature much more and become more humble.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts