Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 1969 we won the Champion League for the second time :cool:
In the semis we faced Manchester Utd, after having won in San Siro 2-0 :cool: the following happened at the Old Trafford. A Black Spider was born :devil: :strong: :devil:

Matt Busby's European dream was eventually realised in 1968 and the following year United were intent on retaining that huge cup. The 'Holy Trinity' of Bobby Charlton, Denis Law and George Best remained capable of the divine and even a 2-0 deficit from the first leg at the San Siro could not suppress the conviction that another final beckoned.

It was, however, to be the last European stand for Busby and his legendary players. Although Charlton, taking a pass from Best, pulled back a goal with a characteristic blast after 70 minutes of a tense return leg, Milan and the Black Spider resisted the subsequent siege.

The 6ft 3in Milan goalkeeper, Fabio Cudicini, playing in an all-dark strip, managed to get in the way of everything else that came his way, including a piece of brick thrown from the Stretford End. He was struck on the head and knocked unconscious. Coins and other missiles rained down from that fabled terrace.

Play was held up for five minutes as Cudicini received treatment, the pitch was cleared and order restored. The goalkeeper was able to play out the match and United's players recovered some dignity by applauding the Italian side at the end.

Milan, coached by Nereo Rocco and captained by Gianni Rivera, went on to beat Ajax 4-1 in the final.

All these years on, Cudicini recalls in graphic detail the events of that tumultuous May evening at Old Trafford and takes a still keener interest in the affairs of the English game.

His son, Carlo, is the unlucky second-choice goalkeeper at Chelsea.

"I remember that match at Manchester very well," 70-year-old Cudicini said at his home in Milan. "I was given the name Il Ragno Nero – the Black Spider. I think it was the English press who thought of that. Well, it was very complimentary, but all of our team had to work hard to keep the ball out of our goal a second time that night.

"There was a lot of tension in the match and it became a little dangerous. The spectators threw stones, metal and various other objects on to the pitch. I was hit and knocked to the ground. I was unconscious for a few minutes.''
:cool:

P.S. May we have the sequel : "Black Spider 2" starring Dida :devil:

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
Great read! Knocked unconscious by a brick? :eekani: Players were really tough in those days! :shades:

Dida can do it. :stuckup:

·
Registered
43,410 Posts
Dida can do it but i hope he wont have to .. .I still dont know what D we will have but knowing who is on teh wings for Manu, I woudl not be surprised to See Cafu and Paolo there with Stam-Nesta covering teh CD roles. And one or two DMs in front of them. These guys shoudl do the job or most of it. Hopefully it wont be down to Dida to save us.

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bono said:
Dida can do it but i hope he wont have to .. .I still dont know what D we will have but knowing who is on teh wings for Manu, I woudl not be surprised to See Cafu and Paolo there with Stam-Nesta covering teh CD roles. And one or two DMs in front of them. These guys shoudl do the job or most of it. Hopefully it wont be down to Dida to save us.
As Il Barone Liedholm would say: If we don't conceed a goal, the worst that can happen is a goalless draw :stuckup:

·
Registered
43,410 Posts
diav

we will have one or two forwards in taht game. 1st they shoudl do it (scoring) then ask Kaka for that. ;)

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bono said:
diav

we will have one or two forwards in taht game. 1st they shoudl do it (scoring) then ask Kaka for that. ;)
Nevertheless, Kaka could help the 1 or 2 strikers up their. Right :stuckup:

Save The Black Spider :cool:

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
Bono is right. I hope that it doesn't come down to Dida. For me the key man will be Nesta from our side.

Battle of midfield fellas. The one who controls it controls the game. Simple as that. I am glad that we are forced to play a 5 man midfield that will have players with flair (Kaka, Serginho/Rui), possession (Seedorf, Pirlo), pace (Kaka, Serginho, Cafu), grit (Gattuso and Seedorf).

The only concern is that the correct team is played. If we do then we can manage it.

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haroon said:
Bono is right. I hope that it doesn't come down to Dida.

However, he should not be underrated :stuckup:

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
Nah .. I don't underrate him at all. Just better to not let it come down to him. ;)

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
luba said:
:dielaugh: you're killing me, dear
I'm also know as The Killer ;)

May Dida repeat the gestures of Cudicini if called upon :stuckup:

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haroon said:
Nah .. I don't underrate him at all. Just better to not let it come down to him. ;)
History may or may not repeat itself :stuckup:

Carlo Cudicini :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts