Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May seem like a dumb question, but I think a pretty convincing case can be made for the argument that most of the time, handling calls are incorrect.

I've checked the laws of the game as posted on the FIFA web site. In EVERY instance where handling the ball is discussed, the word 'deliberately' is used. In order for a player to commit a foul by handling the ball - the referee must believe the handling was deliberate.

Under that reading, the recent incident where a German defender, (I forget who), touched kept the ball out with his arm during a U.S. attack, was not a missed p.k. call. Anyone watching the replay would probably agree that it was an accidental touch. Same goes for McBride's touch in a previous game.

However, most of the time, like during regular club play, handling calls are given when the touch is clearly not intentional.

Opinions?

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
I haven't read the rules lately but as far as I can remember it says that players must keep their hands close to the body at all times, not to be blames for handling the ball. Naturally, that is not possible so I think most referees make a case by case judgement, and maybe thats why the word 'deliberately' is used in the rules. The handball in the Germany-USA game is what I would call a 50-50 challange. I don't think the defender did it on purpose, but he did not keep his hands close to the body either so IMO the call could have gone either way.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
I was always under the understanding that if a handball impeded the ball from entering the net and stopped a goal, then it was considered a handbal penalty regardless of intent.

And most so called deliberate handballs are called yellow cards. I think the idea is if the hand makes motion to the ball as opposed to the ball simply hitting the hand.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
In the case of the German defender, the ball deflected into the players hand. No way the German player could have done anything about it. This was clearly (to me) not a case of handling the ball in the area. The no call was the correct non-call.

HOWEVER, now I can't stop saying "handling the ball in the area".

Gee, thanks.

"handling the ball in the area". "handling the ball in the area". "handling the ball in the area".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts