·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks czar.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
All the players will be heading this monday to Formello training camp in Rome, Italy, so therefore, the players that would be there are the players that are going to the WC for us, so wait until monday..

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
As per the FIFA World Cup™ regulations, Article 22, “the list of not more than 23 players (showing the full surname(s), every first name, nickname, name on the shirt, position, place and date of birth, passport number, club and country of the club) shall be submitted to the FIFA general secretariat, using the official form for this purpose, at least 10 (ten) clear days before the first match in the final competition”.

This deadline expires on Tuesday 21 May 2002.

but we should have a good idea from the list of players who show up at formello next week.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Bielsa wants to determine the list of 23 players by Sunday or Monday. We'll start training in Lazio's facilities at the beginning of the week.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
It seems that Bielsa will have a news conference at approx 12:30pm Argentina time on May 6th (tomorrow) where he'll announce our WC squad.

·
Registered
342 Posts
so...

any updates guys?

did they do the conference yet or posponed?

·
Registered
271 Posts
He also said he would be taking Husain.

But Cannigia will be given a physio on tuesday to decide whether he will be in the squad?

mi espanoles es terrible, so dont trust me.

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
I thought what he meant was that tomorrow he will announce the names of the players who will be invited to Formello. Now whether that is the final list, maybe not. He has until May 21 to turn in a final list of players to FIFA.

·
Registered
484 Posts
First 12:

Jos¨¦ Chamot (Milan), Mauricio Pochettino (Paris), Walter Samuel (Roma), Javier Zanetti (Inter), Diego Simeone (Lazio), Marcelo Gallardo (M¨®naco), Claudio Husain (River), Claudio L¨®pez (Lazio), Hern¨¢n Crespo (Lazio), Gabriel Batistuta (Roma), Ariel Ortega (River) y Claudio Caniggia (Glasgow Rangers).

No Almeyda:confused:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Like I said dont trust me ;)

Gallardo! Gallardo is definitely going, now that is a surprise

No almeyda, but no veron, aimar, placente, killy and no goalkeepers either.......

The definite 12 must be the players who have finished their seasons and are ready to go to Rome.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Bielsa will not call up any players that are still involved in an active competition. Almeyda is participating in the final of the Copa Italia. Once his commitment with Parma is over (should be by the middle of this week) Almeyda will be called up to the NT.

·
Registered
271 Posts
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldcup2002/hi/team_pages/argentina/newsid_1971000/1971474.stm

Argentina coach Marco Bielsa has bucked the trend among World Cup qualifiers and is announcing his squad in two stages.

On Monday, he named the players he intends to take to Korea and Japan whose club commitments are over.

And the Rangers man is the most notable inclusion, despite picking up a knee injury in the Scottish Cup final win over Celtic.

It is an extraordinary return to international favour for the veteran striker who shot to fame at the 1990 World Cup and won his 50th cap in a friendly against Cameroon in March.

His appearance at the World Cup finals now depends upon his knee injury being less serious than some initial reports.

"Our medical team will examine him in Italy on Tuesday night or Wednesday and I'll make a decision based on that," Bielsa said.

Other inevitable inclusions, such as Manchester United's Juan Sebastian Veron, will benamed once the Premiership season is over.

"I believe it is prudent not to name players still in competition," Bielsa added.

"I intend to name them after they finish their club responsibilitites."

"We have until 21 May to coimplete the final squad. I'm not going to call more than 23 players before then."

Other players who will join Caniggia for the start of Argentina's World Cup training camp in Rome are Ariel Ortega and Claudio Husain, of River Plate.

·
Registered
484 Posts
czar said:
Bielsa will not call up any players that are still involved in an active competition. Almeyda is participating in the final of the Copa Italia. Once his commitment with Parma is over (should be by the middle of this week) Almeyda will be called up to the NT.
Oh,I forget it:D

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
Diario-Ole (Argentina)
May 6, 2002
Translated by Humbird

Argentina's coach has given a preliminary list of 12 players for the next World Cup. Ortega and Claudio Husain are the only two from the Argentine league. Caniggia will be evaluated in Rome by the national team doctor to see if he is in good condition. "Tuesday night or Wednesday, when we arrive in Rome the national team doctor will examine him and then a decision will be made in accordance with the doctor's analysis," explained Marcelo Bielsa.

First, the coach released a preliminary list of 12 players that will begin the final preparation for the World Cup. Those players are: Jose Chamot, Mauricio Pochettino, Walter Samuel, Javier Zanetti, Diego Simeone, Marcelo Gallardo, Claudio Husain, Claudio Lopez, Hernan Crespo, Gabriel Batistuta, Ariel Ortega and Claudio Caniggia.

"It seems prudent to me not to call players who are still involved in competition. I'm not going to call them until they are finished with their participation in those tournaments," Bielsa explained during a press conference held at Ezieza. "We have until May 21 to present the final list. I'm not going to call more than 23 players before that date," he said.

In the afternoon, Marcelo Bielsa and the two players from the Argentine league, Ortega and Husain, will leave from the Ezeiza airport on their way to Rome together with the rest of the coaching staff, in order to begin preparation for the World Cup.

National team coordinator, Jose Pekerman; his assistant, Claudio Vivas; physical trainer, Luis Bonini: doctor Donato Villani; kinesiologist, Raul Lamas; equipment manager, Marcelo Dalto; massage therapist, Marcelo D'Andrea; administrator, Ruben Moschela; chef Diego Iacobone, and security chief Jose Pantano will also be going with coach Bielsa.

A group of a dozen young players will also be traveling in order to provide an opponent for the senior team to practice against. Some 2,000 of Bielsa's videotapes will be among the 150 pieces of luggage that will be loaded onto the airplane today.

S

·
0 Posts
so, if you add the players that were already certain, you get this:

goal(3):
?
?
?

central defense(5):
Chamot
Pochettino
Samuel
Ayala
Vivas

left midfielder(2):
Kily
Sorin

right midfielder(1/2):
Zanetti
-

def.mid(3):
Simeone
Husain
Almeyda

off.mid(4/5):
Gallardo
Ortega
Aimar
Veron
-

forward(4/5):
Batistuta
Caniggia
Claudio Lopez
Crespo
-

total: 22
left: 1

I guess the vacant spot for the second right midfielder will be solved by using someone like Almeyda if(god forbid) Zanetti gets injured.

hmmm..... you see what he's done? IF Caniggia is declared fit enough to play, he's put the two brightest prospects in Argentina in a one-on-one battle for the 23rd spot in the WC team.

:eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani:

to the moderators: could you post a poll on who everyone would rather see at the WC, Riquelme or Saviola?

·
Registered
263 Posts
You've summed things up pretty well there SnakeEyez.When it comes down to it,Saviola will probably be selected - which i'll be VERY happy about - however,although it's no surprise at all,Romy will be left behind:depress: :cry: .I've always felt there was bias,and now it looks likely to come to fruition.I feel sorry for JRR,to know you are the best.... but it is still not enough:frustrat: .Still,i hope Saviola does make it and hope he lights up the WC by showing how much he is capable of.:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts