Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All

The topic today to discuss is: When did you start to support Juve and where and why

For me I started to support Juventus after ninteen ninty world cup in italy. I was in Abu Dhabi and my older brother was supporting italia and then I also copied him. Baggio and schelacci were steeling the show by wonderful playing and good games. Both of them played in Juve and as time started to grow my love for juve growed as well.

what you think
please discuss

·
Registered
917 Posts
I'm a quasi supporter of Juventus now that Moggi is gone and you're winning less. You also have Chiellini who I think is the best Italian centre back in the game and Giovinco who is a really exciting talent and in general Juventus seems to be finally integrating some of its promising youth team.

·
Registered
46,814 Posts
I'm a quasi supporter of Juventus now that Moggi is gone and you're winning less. You also have Chiellini who I think is the best Italian centre back in the game and Giovinco who is a really exciting talent and in general Juventus seems to be finally integrating some of its promising youth team.
I thought you had simpathies for Reggina and Roma...:confused:

·
MVP
8,991 Posts
I saw this man, and fell in love immediately. And to be honest it just happened by itself...I was tuning in every week just to see him play and the rest is history...:proud:

·
Registered
917 Posts
I thought you had simpathies for Reggina and Roma...:confused:
Let me explain quasi--I don't hate Juventus anymore and I have similar sympathies to them as I do with Roma, though when they play against each other I'll cheer for Roma. I think for me an interest in any given team is motivated by what their youth situation looks like as I like watching young talented players grow into solid players, as well as geniuses at work (see Totti and Pirlo). As for Reggina, I have been barely able to watch soccer this year do to work and school commitments and I haven't been able to see them play all year. I certainly still cheer for them but they lessen in importance. Here, you should read my answer as motivated mostly to drum up some conversation in a relatively inactive thread rather than a declaration of undying support.

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
I was 10 when I saw my first Juventus match. I was sitting in the sofa with my Italian grand-father, he naturally tuned in for the 1993 UEFA Cup final first leg between Borussia and Juve which was broadcasted on I don't remember which French channel and Roberto Baggio made a huge impression on me, scoring twice including a marvelous free-kick. What a player! I was blown away. I liked other players as well, Andy Möller whom I'd seen in Panini albums and Dino Baggio whom I mistakenly thought was Roby's bro. Unfortunately, I didn't have any TV access to Serie A so I would not see him in action until his heroics at the 1994 WC. Despite the dramatic penalty miss, I was hooked.

Still no access to Italian footy though. More concerned about Anderlecht and Belgian footie, really. Moreover in 94-95, Litmanen, Finidi George and co really displayed what football is all about. You couldn't help liking Van Gaal's team. I saw Kluivert stretching past Rossi but I don't remember seeing Juventus loosing to Parma in the UEFA Cup final.

95-96, Juventus is again broadcasted on Belgian television. I like the ugly black and white stripes, the Sony logo, the way they play. I strain my ears to hear what the commentator has to say about lanky Torricelli and his marathon-man runs, Angelo 'Soldato' Di Livio, why Peruzzi looks like a rugbyman, what age is White Feather, who's that crazy bald dude doing bicycle kicks at every chance. And then, I see a certain young talent named Del Piero scoring all sorts of incredible goals, lob ala Del Piero on Klos, a nicely curved free-kick against Rangers from an impossible angle, more or less the same goal from open play against Stelea... I asked my parents a Del Piero jersey for X-Mas but they could only find a regular Juve jersey with no name on... From then on, thanks to their brilliant European campaigns and the great players that joined, my interest grew bigger and bigger. Today, I know almost everything there's to know about this club and (have) watch(ed) everything I can (could), including most every Serie A game.

God bless Internet and streaming!

·
Registered
33,714 Posts
Dino Baggio whom I mistakenly thought was Roby's bro.
You're not the only one!

I started watching Serie A because Lombardo looked funny. The names were funny too. Cervone, Rizzitelli, Casagrande, Zenga, Stroppa, Crippa, Strada, Vierchowood, Baiano, Skuhravy.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
I was like 4 years old and it was the year 1985. My dad convinced me to support Juve instead of Inter and Napoli who my brothers support.

Thank god he convinced me to to support juve and not napoli or inter.

·
MVP
8,991 Posts
You're not the only one!

I started watching Serie A because Lombardo looked funny. The names were funny too. Cervone, Rizzitelli, Casagrande, Zenga, Stroppa, Crippa, Strada, Vierchowood, Baiano, Skuhravy.
lol...:howler:

me too I remember thinking the names sounded funny yet really cool. I used to love showing off my knowledge and pronouncing them correctly/incorrectly in the school playground. Thank God for my Lebanese/Italian friend Gilberto...he taught me how to pronounce them correctly back then :D

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
consciously i don't precisely know when but i suspect it was in and around when i first moved to NO, piemonte aged 5 or 6 and my family and i visited the comunale to watch juve-perugia.

that's my true first memory of juventus but from what i am told i was wearing bianconero long before that and visited il comunale 2 times prior to my first recollection.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts