Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading about financial meltdown at Servette.

I hold a little special place for them and look for their results due too the good times around Geneva and Saleve (though I never got to see the team play). Not so long ago they were getting good runs in the UEFA beating Slavia Praha, Real Zaragoza, Hertha Berlin, to lose in Rd4 to Valencia (they'd put Celtic out in the round before). Great times with Frei and Obradovic I think it was - I know Frei went to Rennes but missed Goran leaving.

Now it looks like financial meltdown is occurring. Sold the old boys from the good team, picked up Alicarte, now selling Ziani and it looks like Karembeu who by all accounts has been hoolding it all together is getting fit to be sold.

What happened??

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well, that's what happens when you let a self-obsessed maniac without any sense of financial realities like Marc Roger run a football club. The latest act was a loudly announced "saviour", a French-Lebanese who claims to have a right to several billion dollars worth of patent royalties (is this the right word in this context?), but in fact his claim is called "ridiculous" even by a Servette lawyer! (in today's Tagesanzeiger)

Obradovic was playing for FC St. Gallen until winter break, he now left to play for FC Vaduz (wonder where they take their dough from...)

·
Registered
381 Posts
popeyethetim said:
So what did Roger do? Rack up a huge wage bill?
A few of many ridiculous actions:

Presenting himself as Servette's savior last season and then buying new player after new player without actually having the money.

Stating that Ex-Real president Sanz was an investor but then not really cashing his cheques (so there probably was an agreement about Sanz faking his will to invest heavily) - that's just cheating IMHO.

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,487 Posts
Swiss side Servette declared bankrupt

February 4, 2005

GENEVA (AFP) - Top Swiss side Servette were declared bankrupt after a last-minute rescue deal fell through.

The Geneva-based side have run up debts of 7.2 million euros and a court decision on their plight had been delayed several times since January 11 when the club announced their financial situation.

There had been hopes that a last-ditch rescue deal could be struck with two Syrian businessmen, but this fell through overnight after lengthy talks.

Servette, the only club in Switzerland to remain in the first division since its launch in 1899, was saved from financial administration last year when its president Marc Roger put up 800,000 euros.

But that proved insufficient after the club went on a recruitment drive, bringing in among others Christian Karembeu, a member of France's 1998 World Cup and Euro 2000 winning side.

Karembeu last week quit Servette and returned to the French first division with the Corsican side Bastia. Several other players have also already moved on.

Servette have 10 days in which to appeal againt the bankruptcy ruling.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
colocolo said:

Servette have 10 days in which to appeal againt the bankruptcy ruling.

The 10 days are over now and their appeal withdrawn - goodbye you idiots!

Cheers
East Ender

YOU'RE NOT SINGING, YOU'RE NOT SINGING, YOU'RE NOT SINGING ANYMORE :D

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,487 Posts
East Ender said:
The 10 days are over now and their appeal withdrawn - goodbye you idiots!
Great ... RELEASE Valdivia now ...... !!!!! Idiots !!! :dielaugh:

·
Registered
14,901 Posts
They will start next season in 3 league.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts