Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Josimar, the right-back from the 1986 world cup team? I was watching a tape of France-Brazil and was reminded of how he exploded on the scene that year, but I don't remember hearing anything about him after 1986. Did he disappear or did I just miss him?

·
Administrator
30,826 Posts
He got called few times, still played for Botafogo and several other teams. Josimar was not a responsable person and let the fame to destroy his chances of fame.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Josimar's career slowly went downhill after 86; the sudden success after the WC surrounded him with a lot of "new friends", he lost his track and got involved with drugs, which brought an early decadence. :(

Y'see, in 1986 Josimar was only called to the WC at the last minute and was supposed to be Edson's reserve (he only won the spot because Edson got injured in the first game), so nobody expected him to become one of the highlights of the Cup. He was doing well in Botafogo, then suddenly comes a call-up for the WC, the starter gets injured and the rest is history... all in a couple of months. He returned to Brazil as a celebrity, a level of stardom that he just wasn't ready for. His behavior outside the pitch began to seriously damage his performances and things began to go sour. Josimar played for a lot of teams since 86 – he left Botafogo in 90 on a loan to Flamengo where he failed to impress, then passed through Bangu, Internacional, Sevilla (Spain), Novo Hamburgo(RS), Fortaleza, Uberlandia(MG), Jorge Wilstermann (Bolivia), Fast(AM) and ended his career at Mineros (Venezuela) in 1995. :sigh:

He had potential to be one of the great rightbacks in the history of Brazilian football, and threw it all away. A damn shame. Fortunately Josimar managed to clean up and today lives in Boa Vista (RO), where he teaches football to children. :)

Here are some pictures of Josimar taken in 2003:

And today Josimar's son, Josimar Junior, plays for Botafogo's youth squad. Here's a picture of Josimar visiting the kid and meeting some people who worked at the club in Josimar's glory days: :star: :)

But Josimar aside – it's good to see you around here, Dae! How's life treating ya? :)

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maradona aside, the memories I have of the 86 Cup are those cannon shot goals that Josimar shot from outside the box. A shame he blew it, but I knew there had to be some reason I never heard of the guy again.

Hey, G. I am doing ok (although currently been home three with some flu like deal). I'm up in Baltimore after leaving Tally 2 years ago. Think most people know that. Will be moving in girlfriend's pad in the next month. Still figuring out a few last things like if her digital cable can get the soccer channels my dish gets or will we have to install my dish. You know, potential deal breakers like that. ;)

How's it with you? Last time I paid much attention you were going tete a tete with Ze and his coffee house crowd. :tongue:

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Hey, I hope things fall into place and the 'deal' can proceed as planned. :shades: I'm thinking about 'tying the knot' with my girlfriend, so there's a big move in my future too, probably later this year. :mute: :D

And me and Ze had some arguments but it all happened so long ago, that right now I don't even remember what it was about. Life's too short to hold grudges. ;)

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not for ze but that's another story for another day.....;)

I also forsee the purchasing of rings in the future, but not sure when. We do the stay at your place then stay at mine thing so living together makes sense. All going nicely. Nice to hear you are doign well too. I recall your lady being a Flamengo fan. Must make for arguments, but at your girl likes football. :D

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Dae said:
I also forsee the purchasing of rings in the future, but not sure when. We do the stay at your place then stay at mine thing so living together makes sense. All going nicely. Nice to hear you are doign well too. I recall your lady being a Flamengo fan. Must make for arguments, but at your girl likes football. :D
Yeah, I'm in pretty much the same kinda relationship, we also spend a lot of time in each other's places so we're already planning to move in together. But we both have outrageous collections of books, CDs, comics, and neither of our apartments is big enough for all the stuff. So we're trying to "trim" the amount of stuff that we're taking to the new pad, while looking for the "ideal" place.

And yeah, she's a flamenguista, but it offers less entertainment opportunities than you'd expect – she loves football and I love to make fun of her team, which seems ideal in theory; but when her team loses she gets so sad that I just melt like butter and miss all the opportunities to make fun of Fla. :D Just goes to show how love can change a guy's priorities. :heart: :sigh: ;)

The good thing is that two of my best friends are also flamenguistas, not to mention my dear flamenguista brother and a lot of people I work with... so thankfully there are enough alternative 'targets' available, since flamenguistas are as numerous as cockroaches (she slaps my arm everytime I say that :D ).

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are both finding a new place together? I am moving into her townhouse, so really hoping there is enough room for my crap. Also trimming and throwing away things.

I hear you about feeling bad when your chick's team loses. My ex was a Duke basketball fan and I absolutely hate Duke. I was never sad when they lost, but I did feel bad for her. She never really believed me, though. But then, I don't have to feel bad when they lose anymore...:D :thumbsup:

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Hey, I didn't say I feel sorry when Flamengo loses... I just don't like to see her sad so I spare her from wisecracks about the subject (her co-workers who support other teams don't show the same sympathy). But Flamengo losing is, as it has always been, enough to bring a smile to my face. :happy: I just try not to smile too widely when she's looking. :lala: :D

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agreed. Keeping the "Boo-ya!!!"s to your self are probably a good thing. As of now, Flamengo don't seem capable of winning much of anything, do they? I see more Paulista than Rio, but it seems to me the Rio clubs are capable of winning the state championship and that is it (at least as far as the national championship goes). Am I totally off?

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
No, you're right on. Currently, the impression we get is that some "big" Rio clubs can't even win the State Championship anymore! :dazed: Flamengo and Fluminense were already eliminated from the Guanabara Cup (the winner of the GC conquers a spot in the championship final), Vasco's chances are hanging by a thread and Botafogo is doing only slightly better. :mute:

Nowadays, calling any Rio team a "big club" is more a figure of speech than a precise description. Rio's top teams have a lot of tradition and some good players, but too many amateurs and 'wiseguys' ****ing things up. :stress: Some of the clubs are trying to get organized as best as they can, but too many problems and debts have been inherited from previous administrations. So there's a lot of work to do before a Rio team can really return to greatness. But as a true Botafoguense, I'm unreasonably optimistic and hopeful. :D :hopefull: ;)

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What have the Paulista big cluibs been able to do that the Rio ones haven't? And the ones from the other states, for that matter (Cruziero, Atl Paranese etc...). Are the Rio clubs really saddled with the worst administration or is it something else?

The Paulista clubs can't really keep their young talent from Europe forever (although Santos and Sau Paulo have held onto some players long enough to win or at least challenge) but the Rio clubs don't even win.

Hope I'm not unintentionally rubbing things in, but I have always enjoyed watching brazilian football and lately it seems that unless somebody is bringing in a 39 year old Romario, there is no news coming from Rio.

Also, what do you make of the influx of money to Corinthians? I read the other day that some think it is Ambramovich creating another satelite team for Chelsea (ala CSKA Moscow).

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Dae said:
What have the Paulista big cluibs been able to do that the Rio ones haven't? And the ones from the other states, for that matter (Cruziero, Atl Paranese etc...). Are the Rio clubs really saddled with the worst administration or is it something else?
Man, you ask the tough questions. We discuss this stuff all the time here, so I don't have an easy answer for ya – maybe you should just hang out here more often. :D

Dae said:
Also, what do you make of the influx of money to Corinthians? I read the other day that some think it is Ambramovich creating another satelite team for Chelsea (ala CSKA Moscow).
I don't know if Abramovich is behind the mysterious "investment group" that took over Corinthians, but I do believe it's a front for a money-laundering scam. But of course – most of Corinthians' fans won't give a sh!t about that, as long as it gives them a "superteam" and a pile of trophies. Fans are funny that way. :D

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, trying to get me to hangout out for often? ;)

Only reason I find the Rio-Sao Paulo thing interesting is because other south american countries have similar difficulties keeping players and maintaining budgets and so on, but in BRazil the Rio state seems to have a struggle unto its own. As I happen to be have enjoyed following Santos and Sao Paulo the last few years, its not like I am exactly spilling tears for you guys. :tongue: ;)

The company pumping in money is fronted by some Iranian bigshot, but the latest World Soccer magazine has an article about Abramovich's yacht was in port while Tevez was being wooed and Abramovich had dinner with some Boca/Buenos Aires bigwigs and it was all hush-hush. I also think the entire thing is very shady. Almost anything connected to the emergence of the Russian robber-barons is dubious.

Either that or somebody is filming another reality show. :D

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Dae said:
Only reason I find the Rio-Sao Paulo thing interesting is because other south american countries have similar difficulties keeping players and maintaining budgets and so on, but in BRazil the Rio state seems to have a struggle unto its own. As I happen to be have enjoyed following Santos and Sao Paulo the last few years, its not like I am exactly spilling tears for you guys. :tongue: ;)
:finger:

Dae said:
Either that or somebody is filming another reality show. :D
Heey, you may be on to something there!! :googly:

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Garrincha said:
Hey, I didn't say I feel sorry when Flamengo loses... I just don't like to see her sad so I spare her from wisecracks about the subject (her co-workers who support other teams don't show the same sympathy). But Flamengo losing is, as it has always been, enough to bring a smile to my face. :happy: I just try not to smile too widely when she's looking. :lala: :D
And what happens when Botafogo loses? I bet she rips into you like there's no tomorrow ;)

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
khimik said:
And what happens when Botafogo loses? I bet she rips into you like there's no tomorrow ;)
Nah, when Bota loses she's an angel too, sweet and supportive. :smileani:

And if she tried to "rip into me" after a Botafogo defeat, I'd start doing the same thing with her when Fla lost – and I'm way better than her at smack-talking. :D

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A smack-talker hardened on the streets of Xtime is definitely something to stay clear of. :stuckup: :proud:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts